I was looking at the team stats at the 2020 Bengals season and
Their was 2 numbers stood out to me and I looked deeper
Into adding the 2 stats together and see if it could corralate
To something.
It may have.

Todays NFL is based around aerial production
And on the other side of the ball negating the effectiveness
Of a QB aka sacking the QB.

So I added up the numbers and they don't lie.
The Bengals were dead last in the NFL with a combined
TD passes and sacking the QB with 36.

So then I looked at other teams.
Tampa had 90
2nd was Green Bay with 89
3rd was Seattle with 86
The Chiefs had 72
PITTSBURGH HAD 81
RAVENS 66
BROWNS 65

The bottom 3 teams Bengals New England New York Jets
Carolina....did not make the playoffs

You get the picture now.
Teams that can accumalate 60 or better usually finish .500 or better
Or make the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Great stat! We need to generate more pressure and hold up to pressure better. Bring Lawson back and invest in another pass rusher. Add to the offensive line. These are the areas that will contribute the most to wins. Shiny toys are ineffective without a good line. We’ve seen that on repeat for several years now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Knowing that a good Oline and a good Dline equates to a good foodball team is as old as the hills.

Unfortunately Mike Brown is older...
Reply/Quote
The low sack total everyone knows about, and has been discussed all season, but the TD’s seems to be being overlooked. I see a lot of “Burrow doesn’t need great weapons” and it’s just simply not true.

We need to add another WR and a real playmaking TE to get those numbers up. We had a grand total of 9 passing TD’s to players not named Tyler Boyd or Tee Higgins. That’s brutal.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 06:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The low sack total everyone knows about, and has been discussed all season, but the TD’s seems to be being overlooked. I see a lot of “Burrow doesn’t need great weapons” and it’s just simply not true.

We need to add another WR and a real playmaking TE to get those numbers up. We had a grand total of 9 passing TD’s to players not named Tyler Boyd or Tee Higgins. That’s brutal.

I'm all for adding a WR in Chase, but do think we're OK at TE with Uzomah/Sample when considering other positions like OL And DL and CB.  I would love to have a Pitts-type tight end (not at the expense of Chase!!!) but I'm not sure we even use them that way anyways.  I'm also not ready to give up on Sample.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 06:45 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I'm all for adding a WR in Chase, but do think we're OK at TE with Uzomah/Sample when considering other positions like OL And DL and CB.  I would love to have a Pitts-type tight end (not at the expense of Chase!!!) but I'm not sure we even use them that way anyways.  I'm also not ready to give up on Sample.  

It wouldn’t be giving up on Sample. Let him do his thing, block. He’s never going to be a big time pass catcher though. And yes I think we need one. We were terrible in the red zone.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 06:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It wouldn’t be giving up on Sample. Let him do his thing, block. He’s never going to be a big time pass catcher though. And yes I think we need one. We were terrible in the red zone.

But wouldn't having Chase and Boyd and Higgins (Not to mention Mixon for a screen) perhaps alleviate the issue?  At that point, sure, throw it up to Sample.  He certainly can learn to high point a ball.  I feel like we've even seen him do it, right?  Uzomah as well.
Reply/Quote
There is no validity to this stat because sacks don't necessarily prevent passing tds.

Defensively Tampa Bay had 182% more sacks than the Bengals (48 to 17), but only allowed 9% fewer passing tds (29 to 32).

Offensively Seattle allowed the exact same number of sacks as the Bengals (48) but threw 111% more tds (40 to 19)

Basically all you did was cherry pick two random stats that the Bengals were worst at and combined them.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 06:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It wouldn’t be giving up on Sample. Let him do his thing, block. He’s never going to be a big time pass catcher though. And yes I think we need one. We were terrible in the red zone.

I would even consider Sample playing hybrid FB/TE role.
He has no ability to seperate after a catch and run 30 yards.
After 2 years we kinda have a good idea of what he will be in 
5 years. Hes a poor mans JP Foshi.

This team had issues SCORING AND SACKING the QB hence their record. This team had very few explosive plays last year.
And no one on defense really had the ability to take over a game
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 07:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is no validity to this stat because sacks don't necessarily prevent passing tds.

Defensively Tampa Bay had 182% more sacks than the Bengals (48 to 17), but only allowed 9% fewer passing tds (29 to 32).

Offensively Seattle allowed the exact same number of sacks as the Bengals (48) but threw 111% more tds (40 to 19)

Basically all you did was cherry pick two random stats that the Bengals were worst at and combined them.

I don't always enjoy your posts, but posts like this are great.  Well done.  Rep
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 06:20 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I was looking at the team stats at the 2020 Bengals season and
Their was 2 numbers stood out to me and I looked deeper
Into adding the 2 stats together and see if it could corralate
To something.
It may have.

Todays NFL is based around aerial production
And on the other side of the ball negating the effectiveness
Of a QB aka sacking the QB.

So I added up the numbers and they don't lie.
The Bengals were dead last in the NFL with a combined
TD passes and sacking the QB with 36.

So then I looked at other teams.
Tampa had 90
2nd was Green Bay with 89
3rd was Seattle with 86
The Chiefs had 72
PITTSBURGH HAD 81
RAVENS 66
BROWNS 65

The bottom 3 teams Bengals New England New York Jets
Carolina....did not make the playoffs

You get the picture now.
Teams that can accumalate 60 or better usually finish .500 or better
Or make the playoffs.

Titans = 19 sacks + 33 pass TDs = 52
They also had 26 rushing TDs though, so probably worth changing pass TDs to just total TDs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 06:55 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: But wouldn't having Chase and Boyd and Higgins (Not to mention Mixon for a screen) perhaps alleviate the issue?  At that point, sure, throw it up to Sample.  He certainly can learn to high point a ball.  I feel like we've even seen him do it, right?  Uzomah as well.

Ideally you have 3 good WR’s and a good TE. Like in 2015 we had AJ, Marvin Jones, Sanu, Eifert.

And Eifert led the team in receiving TD’s.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 07:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ideally you have 3 good WR’s and a good TE. Like in 2015 we had AJ, Marvin Jones, Sanu, Eifert.

And Eifert led the team in receiving TD’s.

Our 2015 team was really good. I’ll not argue any of this. I’d love for us to have that team again.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 07:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Titans = 19 sacks + 33 pass TDs = 52
They also had 26 rushing TDs though, so probably worth changing pass TDs to just total TDs.

Some teams run the ball very effectively like the Titans and Ravens. I just used passing TDs because of the era we play in.now.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 07:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is no validity to this stat because sacks don't necessarily prevent passing tds.

There is no relationship between Passing TDs and sacking the QB. Im just trying to show that teams that are successful
Doing both usually end up .500 or better and are in the playoff hunt. It just so happens the Bengals are dead last when.you combine those end of season tallies.....hence a top 5 pick yet again
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 06:35 PM)TheFan Wrote: Knowing that a good Oline and a good Dline equates to a good foodball team is as old as the hills.

Unfortunately Mike Brown is older...

When playbooks are designed with Peas vs. carrots on a Dennys plate, we lose.

Bill: $5.95 with a .5 cent tip. Waitress wearing a Bengals jersey. SMDH!

I typed this and realized I gave nothing to this conversation. That is fan frustration. Sheez.

Reply/Quote