Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just got out of the hospital
Fun, fun... Two major coronary blockages and two stents implanted yesterday and on top of it TheState newspaper in Columbia reported that around 30 hospital workers in the state have been infected with you know what.. I'm not feeling overly optimistic..  I felt fine up until Sunday when the blockages hit me big time..It felt like my neck was being squeezed out from the inside out.. So anyway, went to the VA and left there after the ER people acted like nothing was going on with me.. So I went to the Heart Hospital and they put the stents in and hopefully the VA will cover it.  If not then Oh well...another huge bill I can't pay.. Fun times, huh?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Glad you are doing better. Get well, dammit.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 09:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: Fun, fun... Two major coronary blockages and two stents implanted yesterday and on top of it TheState newspaper in Columbia reported that around 30 hospital workers in the state have been infected with you know what.. I'm not feeling overly optimistic..  I felt fine up until Sunday when the blockages hit me big time..It felt like my neck was being squeezed out from the inside out.. So anyway, went to the VA and left there after the ER people acted like nothing was going on with me.. So I went to the Heart Hospital and they put the stents in and hopefully the VA will cover it.  If not then Oh well...another huge bill I can't pay.. Fun times, huh?

Isn't it miraculous what cardiologists can do with minimally invasive procedures?  Stents are infinitely preferable to bypass surgery.
Reply/Quote
Was wondering where you've been ? Hope you're doing better.
Reply/Quote
Glad your better Gramps.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 09:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: Fun, fun... Two major coronary blockages and two stents implanted yesterday and on top of it TheState newspaper in Columbia reported that around 30 hospital workers in the state have been infected with you know what.. I'm not feeling overly optimistic..  I felt fine up until Sunday when the blockages hit me big time..It felt like my neck was being squeezed out from the inside out.. So anyway, went to the VA and left there after the ER people acted like nothing was going on with me.. So I went to the Heart Hospital and they put the stents in and hopefully the VA will cover it.  If not then Oh well...another huge bill I can't pay.. Fun times, huh?

Hope you're feeling better and all is well Gramps!! Joe
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 02:44 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Isn't it miraculous what cardiologists can do with minimally invasive procedures?  Stents are infinitely preferable to bypass surgery.

It really is amazing. I had 4 stents put in about 5 1/2 years ago and only had to spend 5 days total in the hospital.
Reply/Quote
Glad you're on the road to recovery.

Bengaldom needs you to be ready to grab the ol' fishing pole at a moments notice!
Reply/Quote
Thanks..I am recovering although a bit slower than the last stent 10 years ago. Blood thinners really kick my ass more than for most people I guess. I've been really dizzy the past day and a half. I now have to watch my blood pressure that was never a big deal for me, but is now and I'm having to figure out a way to quit smoking. I've always had an addictive personality, been through years of alcoholism, heroin addiction etc. Cigarettes are the only one I haven't been able to kick yet..but at least I've kept them down to less than half a pack ..and yes..I know I have to quit for good. 
Strange part is I don't even think about smoking while in the hospital or even *caugh caugh* jail.. Maybe I'll go get myself arrested.. On second thought I think I'll just quit smoking.  My kids were in tears so I don't want to put them through something I can control..not to mention I love the old woman too. They kind of count on me for a lot and I want to keep it that way for awhile.  It's been really tough on my son. My father passed away a few weeks ago when my son showed up a few days before then I went and had a heart attack a few weeks later. He's been through his own self imposed hell with his own drinking problems.  Maybe I can help him find a way out along with myself. He deserves a better life. He's a good kid and I let him down when he was growing up. Time for it to all change starting now. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
If the blockages were that bad then you will feel a lot better and have more energy once you are back on your feet.

Be careful with taking both blood thinners and blood pressure medication because blood thinners can also lower your blood pressure. If it gets too low you will pas out (or worse). I hope the same doctor prescribed both. If not be sure to ask your doctors about taking both at the same time.
Reply/Quote
Just had a hell of a scare..an apparent huge bruise on my arm that scared everyone here.. turned out to be some mixture of grease and fine sawdust off the table saw, but it made my arm look like the blood thinner had gone crazy until I scraped it off with a butter knife.. lol

Edit.. It turns out that it was chocolate on the bed. I fell asleep and it melted on my arm.. Yeah..made me feel like an absolute genius..melted chocolate on my arm sent me into a near panic.. duh..

Anyway, the blood thinner is causing quite a bit of weakness and numbness in my legs. My legs occasionally just give out. I'll rest a while and get back to some sense of normalcy ..

Reply/Quote
Glad you caught it in time, and got that 2nd opinion. I had 2 stents put in about 12 years ago. I used to smoke 2 or more packs a day.....and drank like a fish. Now I just reserve that for special occasions, and have a few puffs along with it. Seems to cure my urge. Since I was so young, I had an exploratory Cath ordered by my doc about 5 years ago. Pipes were still clean....*knocks on wood*. You can quit em....or at least cut WAAAYYY back. I'm down to less than 2 packs a month, maximum.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Praying for you Gramps, you are a great man.
Reply/Quote
Smoking is a ***** to quit. Probably quit and failed 10-20 times in my life. Damn things are just too damn pleasurable to me. Good luck gramps on quitting. The only thing that helped me quit last time for almost 2yrs was the patch. I have a few friends that were successful using Chantix, but I had mixed results with that one. Was almost successful about 10yrs ago when I tried it, but tried recently and gave me a severe case of depression. I think there is some validity in the suggested method of setting a date to quit. Gives you time to mentally prepare for the big game.

When you Quit, give us an update on how you did it.

Reply/Quote