Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I like the way they continue to build around Sample
(06-07-2020, 05:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I've got a pretty cool Drew Sample story. The guy is a legend!

A year ago, I got roped into watching my 3 month old niece while my sister got her hair done. So when there I am, sitting in the waiting area of a hair salon with my niece, and who walks in but Drew Sample.

I thought I recgonized him, and kinda kept looking over to make sure it was actually him, as he read a magazine and waited. But I didn't know what to say. Pretty soon though my niece started crying, and I'm trying to quiet her down because I didn't want her to bother Drew, but she wouldn't stop.

Pretty soon he gets up and walks over. He started running his hands through her hair and asking what was wrong. I replied that she was probably hungry or something. So, Drew put down his magazine, picked up my niece and lifted his shirt. He breast fed her right there in the middle of a hair salon. Chill guy, really nice about it.

Great story about Drew’S AMPLE breasts.........rimshot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If anyone is expecting for Sample to be this
Threat in the passing game better be ready to
Wait.
He might turn out to be a solid run blocker
But even last year I saw him get pushed backwards and manhandled
Ranking the AFC North TEs he's near the bottom
Even in college he was invisible in the Huskies
Passing offense.
I don't see him beating out Uzomah for a starting
Job. He will.come In regarding 2 TE sets.
If he catches 25 passes this year I will be surprised
Reply/Quote
[Image: usa_today_12597869.0.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Is this post sarcasm?

Not being snarky, I just legitimately can't tell.
Reply/Quote
Couldn't agree more. The saying goes a rookie QB is a TE's best friend or something like....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The only positive I've seen from Sample is that he had a better rookie season than John Ross, who I might add had one of the worst receiver rookie seasons ever recorded. The sad thing is that Sample was barely better.

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2020, 10:05 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Is this post sarcasm?

Not being snarky, I just legitimately can't tell.

It has the potential to reach the "Guns don't kill people, Keith Rivers kills people" level of ridiculous.  
Reply/Quote
You don't have to reach in the 2nd RD to find a TE
That can block.
If Sample cant beat out Uzomah for the starting TE job
He can be labeled as a bust
It's bad enough he didn't show anything last year
To validate his 2nd RD selection
And don't want to hear rookie TEs barely contribute
In their rookie year
Horsefeathers.look around the league.
Noah Fant..Evan Engram. David Njoku.George Kittle.
But Tobin had to draft one that barely made
Meaningful catches in college.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2020, 09:07 AM)impactplaya Wrote: But Tobin had to draft one that barely made
Meaningful catches in college.

Over the last decade there have ony been 3 rookie TEs that had 50 receptions.  Tobin drafted one of them.

Over the last decade only 19 teams have had a rookie TE with more then 30 receptions.  The Bengals are one of only 6 teams to have two.
Reply/Quote
Receiving stats as rookies...

Sample 5 catches on 6 targets for 30 yards

Auden Tate 4 catches on 12 targets for 35 yards

Just saying...
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2020, 02:13 AM)BengalChris Wrote: The only positive I've seen from Sample is that he had a better rookie season than John Ross, who I might add had one of the worst receiver rookie seasons ever recorded. The sad thing is that Sample was barely better.

Sample would light it up if ZT would send more passes his way.  ZT is killing Sample's confidence.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2020, 01:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Sample would light it up if ZT would send more passes his way.  ZT is killing Sample's confidence.

Marvin Lewis killed Zac Taylor's confidence.  :andy:
Reply/Quote
Drew Sample is one of the players I'm looking forward to see develop in year two. Tight End is such a mismatch for most teams and a very good TE-Y can be a difference maker in alot of games making key plays. Sample has the athleticism and overall build to be that guy hopefully he takes a that big step in 2020.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2020, 10:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last decade there have ony been 3 rookie TEs that had 50 receptions.  Tobin drafted one of them.

Over the last decade only 19 teams have had a rookie TE with more then 30 receptions.  The Bengals are one of only 6 teams to have two.

Except, well, this has nothing to do with Sample since he didn't have 50 receptions as a rookie or 30 or 20 or even 10. He had 5.

Reply/Quote
He didnt even have 50 in college
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2020, 03:42 PM)impactplaya Wrote: He didnt even have 50 in college

He wasn't targeted much, still caught everything thrown to him which is what matters.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2020, 10:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last decade there have ony been 3 rookie TEs that had 50 receptions.  Tobin drafted one of them.

And this has what to do with Drew Sample exactly?

Here's some interesting stats on Tobin and Tight Ends for you...

-In the last decade TE's he's drafted have hit 1,000 yards ZERO times.

-In the last decade TE's he's drafted have hit 900 yards ZERO times.

-In the last decade TE's he's drafted have hit 800 yards ZERO times.

-In the last decade TE's he's drafted have hit 700 yards ONE time.

-In the last decade TE's he's drafted have hit 600 yards TWO times.

-In the just last decade he's drafted a total TWO first round TE's, a 2nd round TE, and a 3rd round TE.

-In the last 20 years of employment all of the above stats are true.  ZERO's across the board at 1,000, 900, 800.

Since joining the Bengals in 1999, here is each Tight End drafted, followed by their draft position, and career high in yards:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2000 - Brad St. Louis - 7th round - 0 yards
2001 - Sean Brewer - 3rd round - 0 yards
2002- Matt Schobel - 3rd round - 332 yards
2008 - Matt Sherry - 6th round - 0 yards
2009 - Chase Coffman - 3rd round - 71 yards
2010 - Jermaine Gresham - 1st round - 737 yards
2012 - Orson Charles - 4th round - 101 yards
2013 - Tyler Eifert - 1st round - 615 yards
2015 - Tyler Kroft - 3rd round - 404 yards
2015 - CJ Uzomah 5th round - 439 yards
2017 - Mason Schreck - 7th round - 0 yards
2019 - Drew Sample - 2nd round - 30 yards
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's is the list of picks he's used on TE's in rounds 2-4:  Sean Brewer, Matt Schobel, Chase Coffman, Orson Charles, Tyler Kroft, and Drew Sample. That's a total of SIX players.  4 3rd round picks, 1 2nd round, pick and 1 4th round pick. 

Now here is their CAREER HIGH in yardage of all SIX players combined into one total: 938

Even if you combine 6 players TE's he's drafted very best seasons, all which were drafted in the top half of the draft, they still can't reach 1,000 yards. All this said, I do have to admit, that 30 receptions things in their rookie year is stilll pretty impressive.  Obviously, Duke Tobin knows Tight Ends.   Wink
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2020, 01:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Marvin Lewis killed Zac Taylor's confidence.  :andy:

Sorta like watching Zac Taylor made AJ Green's ankle swell.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2020, 06:39 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: And this has what to do with Drew Sample exactly?

Here's some interesting stats on Tobin and Tight Ends for you...

-In the last decade TE's he's drafted have hit 1,000 yards ZERO times.

-In the last decade TE's he's drafted have hit 900 yards ZERO times.

-In the last decade TE's he's drafted have hit 800 yards ZERO times.

-In the last decade TE's he's drafted have hit 700 yards ONE time.

-In the last decade TE's he's drafted have hit 600 yards TWO times.

-In the just last decade he's drafted a total TWO first round TE's, a 2nd round TE, and a 3rd round TE.

-In the last 20 years of employment all of the above stats are true.  ZERO's across the board at 1,000, 900, 800.

Since joining the Bengals in 1999, here is each Tight End drafted, followed by their draft position, and career high in yards:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2000 - Brad St. Louis - 7th round - 0 yards
2001 - Sean Brewer - 3rd round - 0 yards
2002- Matt Schobel - 3rd round - 332 yards
2008 - Matt Sherry - 6th round - 0 yards
2009 - Chase Coffman - 3rd round - 71 yards
2010 - Jermaine Gresham - 1st round - 737 yards
2012 - Orson Charles - 4th round - 101 yards
2013 - Tyler Eifert - 1st round - 615 yards
2015 - Tyler Kroft - 3rd round - 404 yards
2015 - CJ Uzomah 5th round - 439 yards
2017 - Mason Schreck - 7th round - 0 yards
2019 - Drew Sample - 2nd round - 30 yards
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's is the list of picks he's used on TE's in rounds 2-4:  Sean Brewer, Matt Schobel, Chase Coffman, Orson Charles, Tyler Kroft, and Drew Sample. That's a total of SIX players.  4 3rd round picks, 1 2nd round, pick and 1 4th round pick. 

Now here is their CAREER HIGH in yardage of all SIX players combined into one total: 938

Even if you combine 6 players TE's he's drafted very best seasons, all which were drafted in the top half of the draft, they still can't reach 1,000 yards.  All this said, I do have to admit, that 30 receptions things in their rookie year is stilll pretty impressive.  Obviously, Duke Tobin knows Tight Ends.   Wink

Tobin doesn't coach the team or call the plays.

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2020, 06:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Tobin doesn't coach the team or call the plays.

Again, all of the stats presented were career highs.  Had it been a coaching or play-calling issue, it would be only reflected for their respective time here.  All of them had opportunities to extend their career elsewhere, with the exception of Eifert, Uzomah, and Sample.

Sean Brewer also played for the Falcons (9 games), Redskins (Cut), and Chargers (Cut).  His career zero yards can't be blamed on coaching or system, he just sucked.

Matt Schoebel spent 3 years on the Eagles. All were winning teams coached by Andy Reid.  His highest yardage total there was 214.  Again, he just wasn't very good.

Chase Coffman spent time here, along with the Bucs, Falcons, Titans, Seahawks, and Colts.  His career high actually came in a split season b/t Ten and Sea, which produced a whopping 71 yards.  His career TOTAL is 177.  He had ample opportunities in different systems yet he was cut everywhere he went.  He stunk.

Gresham spent 4 years in Arizona.  He never even hit 400 yards.  He had some ok success here, but once again, I don't think you can blame the system.  He is what the stats show.  A decent but far from great TE.  He did not live up to his draft position.

Orson Charles spent time here, along with the Saints, Lions, Chiefs, Browns, and Broncos.  The man never caught a pass. EVER. ANYWHERE.  The only roster he actually made he made as a backup fullback.  Again, not the system or coaching. The guy stunk.

Tyler Kroft went to Buffalo last year.  New system, new coaches.  He had 6 catches for 71 yards in 11 games.  Not looking too good so far for him there.

The fact of the matter is we wasted some relatively decent picks on relatively awful Tight Ends (Brewer, Schoebel, Coffman, Charles, and Kroft).  We never saw Gresham live up to his draft position.  Eifert neither.  The best value of the whole lot was Uzomah and he's never even hit 450 yards.

I hope Sample proves to be the exception, and we get our value out of that pick.  But forgive me for thinking history is not on our side.  Even as impressive as Fred's 30 receptions in your rookie year is, I have my doubts.
Reply/Quote