Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I'll be ready to go when it's time to go"
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/27/d-j-reader-ill-be-ready-to-go-when-its-time-to-go/

Quote:Bengals defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo said early this month that he felt getting veterans back in the lineup after they missed much or all of last season with injuries was like having extra draft picks.

Defensive tackle D.J. Reader is one of those players. He signed with the Bengals as a free agent last March and started five games before a quad injury knocked him out for the rest of the year.

Reader is working on the side at OTAs, but said he’s “feeling good and confident” about being 100 percent when it is time for the season to get underway.

“I never put a time limit on it, but I’ll be ready to go when it’s time to go and I’m out there working with the guys, the training staff is here pushing me,” Reader said, via Laurel Pfahler of the Dayton Daily News. “I’m excited.”

When the Bengals signed Reader, the idea was to team him with Geno Atkins on the interior of the line. Atkins is gone now, so the hope will shift to Reader, Larry Ogunjobi, and Mike Daniels making Cincinnati stouter at the point of attack in 2021.
Reply/Quote
Our DTs were useless last year. Every bit as bad as our OGs.

If Reader is healthy then DT will be by far the most improved position on the team. Even though they usually don't put up big sack numbers good DTs make it much easier for edge rushers to get sacks.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 10:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Our DTs were useless last year.  Every bit as bad as our OGs.

If Reader is healthy then DT will be by far the most improved position on the team.  Even though they usually don't put up big sack numbers good DTs make it much easier for edge rushers to get sacks.

They also plug the middle and don't allow OL to pull easily and get to the 2md level on our Lb's and DB's.

I agree, our DL sucked in in 2020 and was probably worse than our OL. Sadly, to win we need to win the trenches, long way to go on both sides to make that happen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 09:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/27/d-j-reader-ill-be-ready-to-go-when-its-time-to-go/

These kinds of things always remind me of the similar quote Sam Adams gave when he was trying to lose, like, 75lbs in a month of TC or something like that. Didn't happen. He hadn't worked on anything in the offseason and had gotten way way way over playing weight.

Not sure what to make of Reader's lack of recovery. Was Joey B's injury, which happened considerably later in the season, much worse? Does Burrow's injury have a faster recovery time? I have no idea. I would have thought Reader's injury would have been rehabbed by now if the wirk had been put in? Again, no idea the extent or recovery time of Reader's issue. Hell, Richie Braham is still trying to rehab back from that bone bruise on his shin. Some guys take time.

Burrow put a time limit on coming back and worked hard to basically get there.... Reader is off to the side still trying to figure it out. Not sure what the deal was with his injury and recovery.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 10:56 AM)PDub80 Wrote: These kinds of things always remind me of the similar quote Sam Adams gave when he was trying to lose, like, 75lbs in a month of TC or something like that. Didn't happen. He hadn't worked on anything in the offseason and had gotten way way way over playing weight.

Not sure what to make of Reader's lack of recovery. Was Joey B's injury, which happened considerably later in the season, much worse? Does Burrow's injury have a faster recovery time? I have no idea. I would have thought Reader's injury would have been rehabbed by now if the wirk had been put in? Again, no idea the extent or recovery time of Reader's issue. Hell, Richie Braham is still trying to rehab back from that bone bruise on his shin. Some guys take time.

Burrow put a time limit on coming back and worked hard to basically get there.... Reader is off to the side still trying to figure it out. Not sure what the deal was with his injury and recovery.

Like you, I don't know the severity of Reader's injury, but it could be because he outweighs Burrow at least a hundred pounds I would think. That could definitely effect the healing of a lower extremity.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 10:56 AM)PDub80 Wrote: These kinds of things always remind me of the similar quote Sam Adams gave when he was trying to lose, like, 75lbs in a month of TC or something like that. Didn't happen. He hadn't worked on anything in the offseason and had gotten way way way over playing weight.

I wouldn't put too much stock in him on the rehab field for the first 3 days of OTAs.  Wren was there too and he was hurt in training camp.  Both are big guys with surgically repaired quads.  Now if they are still out there during training camp (ie Sam Adams) I'll be far more concerned

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

I think it's precautionary. DJ will be ready to go
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 11:03 AM)Wyche Wrote: Like you, I don't know the severity of Reader's injury, but it could be because he outweighs Burrow at least a hundred pounds I would think. That could definitely effect the healing of a lower extremity.

None of the articles that I can find specify anything more than just "quad injury".  However, for it to be season ending and requiring extensive rehab, I tend to think tear or detachment.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
To people who would compare Burrows return to Readers you aren’t quite contextualizing what “return” means. While Burrow is out there no one is allowed within 10 feet of him. He isn’t taking snaps from under center and he isn’t throwing with anyone close, he is essentially untouchable. Reader’s position lends itself to actually needing to be up next to and touching other people. I’m sure if Reader could do his job without getting within 10 foot of anyone else or having them exert any force against his potentially still recovering injury he’d also be “back”.

Ones “return” and another’s still coming along isn’t an indication of effort or drive, it’s just as likely to be circumstantial to their positions.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 11:19 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: None of the articles that I can find specify anything more than just "quad injury".  However, for it to be season ending and requiring extensive rehab, I tend to think tear or detachment.

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that it was a tear.  For reference, Gerald McCoy tore a quad in Cowboys TC last year and he's still rehabbing.  I'm not a doctor, but my understanding has always been that torn quads are extremely severe.  
Reply/Quote
Agree w/ some of the sentiments above regarding Reader. I felt as if he were one of the best signings the organization had made in ages. Him going down was detrimental to pretty much every other position on the defense. The defense was like a house sitting without a foundation.
Reply/Quote

FFS, Reader is not in any way shape of form a slacker, he's recovering from a torn quad, and those don't heal overnight, especially when you look at the workouts and workloads DT's go through. It's a little bit different than standing in a bubble throwing a ball....

Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle DJ Reader Working His Way Back From Quad Injury - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

Much like star quarterback Joe Burrow, Bengals defensive tackle DJ Reader is on the comeback trail. 

The 26-year-old suffered a  torn quad in [url=https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/dj-reader-to-miss-remainder-of-season][/url]Cincinnati's Week 5 loss to Baltimore on October. He's expected to make a full recovery.
Reply/Quote
This is the message I tell my boss when there isn’t much going on and I’m slacking.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 10:56 AM)PDub80 Wrote:  Reader is off to the side still trying to figure it out. 

Trying to figure what out?

He just guaranteed he would be ready to start the season.  What more do you want?
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 02:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Trying to figure what out?

He just guaranteed he would be ready to start the season.  What more do you want?

No he didn't. He literally says he's feeling good and confident about it. He also said, "I'll be ready to go when it's time to go." That's not a guarantee he'll be ready by start of the season. It's just that he's optimistic he will be and will be ready whenever the time comes.

Quote:Reader is working on the side at OTAs, but said he’s “feeling good and confident” about being 100 percent when it is time for the season to get underway.

“I never put a time limit on it, but I’ll be ready to go when it’s time to go and I’m out there working with the guys, the training staff is here pushing me,” Reader said, via Laurel Pfahler of the Dayton Daily News. “I’m excited.”
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Classic PDub.

Admits he knows nothing about the injury or recovery time

(05-28-2021, 10:56 AM)PDub80 Wrote:  I have no idea.  .  .  

Again, no idea the extent or recovery time of Reader's issue.

So he just assumes that Reader is being lazy and associates him with Sam Adams not putting in the work

(05-28-2021, 10:56 AM)PDub80 Wrote:  I would have thought Reader's injury would have been rehabbed by now if the wirk had been put in

remind me of the similar quote Sam Adams gave when he was trying to lose, like, 75lbs in a month of TC or something like that. Didn't happen. He hadn't worked on anything in the offseason and had gotten way way way over playing weight.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 10:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Our DTs were useless last year.  Every bit as bad as our OGs.

If Reader is healthy then DT will be by far the most improved position on the team.  Even though they usually don't put up big sack numbers good DTs make it much easier for edge rushers to get sacks.

Agreed, expecting the interior on both sides to be the most improved on both sides of the ball, especially DT with DJ back and 
Ogunjobi and Shelvin added. Hard to even have an okay Defense with rotational parts like we had last year. Problem for us is 
that even when Reader was healthy the D under Lou still sucked, so we will see.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 02:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No he didn't. He literally says he's feeling good and confident about it. He also said, "I'll be ready to go when it's time to go." That's not a guarantee he'll be ready by start of the season. It's just that he's optimistic he will be and will be ready whenever the time comes.

Not this again.   Can we come up with some rule against these silly meaningless semantic arguments?

Why do you get to say what he really means in your words instead of his own?

He clearly said he would be ready to start the season.  So what if he did not use the exact word "guarantee"?  He said what he said.
Reply/Quote

Eh, DJ Reader is no Sam Adams. DJ is in good shape, haven't you seen him in some vids, the jersey reveal for example?

You got to take it easy with a quad injury, that is all.
Reply/Quote
Geez This isn't hard to understand. Our Dline sucked too as has already been said. A major component of making that better (we hope) isn't on the field yet. People are nervous about it. It's not hard to grasp.

Until he's actually on the field most are going to be concerned about it.
Reply/Quote