Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I'll be ready to go when it's time to go"
(05-28-2021, 11:19 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: None of the articles that I can find specify anything more than just "quad injury".  However, for it to be season ending and requiring extensive rehab, I tend to think tear or detachment.

I believe DJ had two quad tears, ironically, the exact same thing that happened to Renell Wren.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2021, 10:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I believe DJ had two quad tears, ironically, the exact same thing that happened to Renell Wren.  

The dreaded bi-quad injury.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 10:56 AM)PDub80 Wrote: These kinds of things always remind me of the similar quote Sam Adams gave when he was trying to lose, like, 75lbs in a month of TC or something like that. Didn't happen. He hadn't worked on anything in the offseason and had gotten way way way over playing weight.

Not sure what to make of Reader's lack of recovery. Was Joey B's injury, which happened considerably later in the season, much worse? Does Burrow's injury have a faster recovery time? I have no idea. I would have thought Reader's injury would have been rehabbed by now if the wirk had been put in? Again, no idea the extent or recovery time of Reader's issue. Hell, Richie Braham is still trying to rehab back from that bone bruise on his shin. Some guys take time.

Burrow put a time limit on coming back and worked hard to basically get there.... Reader is off to the side still trying to figure it out. Not sure what the deal was with his injury and recovery.

(05-28-2021, 12:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: FFS, Reader is not in any way shape of form a slacker, he's recovering from a torn quad, and those don't heal overnight, especially when you look at the workouts and workloads DT's go through. It's a little bit different than standing in a bubble throwing a ball....

Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle DJ Reader Working His Way Back From Quad Injury - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

Much like star quarterback Joe Burrow, Bengals defensive tackle DJ Reader is on the comeback trail. 

The 26-year-old suffered a  torn quad in [url=https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/dj-reader-to-miss-remainder-of-season][/url]Cincinnati's Week 5 loss to Baltimore on October. He's expected to make a full recovery.

(05-28-2021, 02:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Trying to figure what out?

He just guaranteed he would be ready to start the season.  What more do you want?

(05-28-2021, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Classic PDub.

Admits he knows nothing about the injury or recovery time

So he just assumes that Reader is being lazy and associates him with Sam Adams not putting in the work

(05-28-2021, 02:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, DJ Reader is no Sam Adams. DJ is in good shape, haven't you seen him in some vids, the jersey reveal for example?

You got to take it easy with a quad injury, that is all.

I see some people really read what I wrote as a bashing of DJ Reader, a player that I think is a great asset to the Bengals and what they are trying to build. In no way, shape, or form did I call out or insinuate Reader was being lazy, taking it easy, or slacking off on his rehab.

The reference to Adams quote was not to call Reader lazy. But it did remind me of a player on the rehab field making a vague prediction on something that clearly takes time. Reader's own words were not at all specific and, I would guess, by design. That, to me, is a concern for the team... NOT a concern leveled at Reader as an athlete or hard working human.

I will highlight the statements that would show that I am more concerned or curious as to what the injury actually was as well as the recovery and strength rebuilding time that goes along the rehab for a bigger man like Reader. I think you guys read some words and just filled your pants over them. The kids call this "Triggered".

As Fred pointed out: Classic PDub. YES, Classic PDub in the sense of NO, I am not a doctor and do not work for the Bengals where I would actually know what was wrong with Reader, so I brought up that being a mystery as to how long it would take for him to get well. I don't know what is wrong with being realistic in that NO, I actually do NOT know what Reader's injury is. Does that mean I cannot talk about or ponder about it? If so.... why is anyone else allowed to?

At the end of my 2nd paragraph I even pointed out that former Bengal Rich Braham's injury was called a "Bruise" and know one really ever confirmed what it was and he never made it back. That should have been the tipoff as to what I was saying in the sense of "WOW, how bad was Reader's injury? The Bengals and Reader are allowed to not disclose it. This is curious to see. Assuming he put in the work and is still trying to get right, knowing how bad Burrows was, what has Reader been dealing with?"

^ THAT was the sentiment of what I wrote. NOT calling Reader out for not rehabbing. The last statement of my post is an absolute FACT. Burrow put in a ton of work and is already practicing. Reader is on the side rehab field still trying to figure out how to get back.... which lead me to the questions on his injury and recovery.

^ How that triggered people just boils down to reader comprehension (PUN!) and, clearly, some angry dispositions. Not surprisingly, according to studies, angry people think they are smarter than they actually are: https://www.livescience.com/63266-angry-people-overestimate-intelligence.html

Maybe next time, instead of lashing out, try and ask people questions about what they mean to continue dialogue.
Reply/Quote
He simply said he will be ready when it's time. How much parsing of his statement do we really need? I think being a Bengals fan should be a qualifying condition for MMJ. Never seen such anxiety over entertainment.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 11:57 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Maybe next time, instead of lashing out, try and ask people questions about what they mean to continue dialogue.

Next time instead of falling back on political double speak why don't you just own what you said.

Firt of all you took a very positive comment from Reader "I'll be ready to go when it is time to go" and immediately said it reminded you of a very negative situation

(05-28-2021, 10:56 AM)PDub80 Wrote: These kinds of things always remind me of the similar quote Sam Adams gave when he was trying to lose, like, 75lbs in a month of TC or something like that. Didn't happen. He hadn't worked on anything in the offseason and had gotten way way way over playing weight.

There is nothing about being "triggered" that would lead anyone who read that comment to take it as a negative comment toward Reader.  You said his situation "reminds  you of" Sam Adams being lazy.  How do you expect that NOT to be taken as a negative swipe at Reader?

Then you admit you have no knowledge of the injury

(05-28-2021, 10:56 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Not sure what to make of Reader's lack of recovery. Was Joey B's injury, which happened considerably later in the season, much worse? Does Burrow's injury have a faster recovery time? I have no idea.

But even though you have no idea what you are talking about you still form an opinion.  Why you would choose to form an opinion when you have no idea what you are talking about but **SURPRISE**  The opinion form by PDub is NEGATIVE

(05-28-2021, 10:56 AM)PDub80 Wrote:  I would have thought Reader's injury would have been rehabbed by now if the wirk had been put in?

What a shocker, right?  PDub comes up with an opinion based on nothing and he thinks Reader has not put in  the work.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 01:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Next time instead of falling back on political double speak why don't you just own what you said.

Firt of all you took a very positive comment from Reader "I'll be ready to go when it is time to go" and immediately said it reminded you of a very negative situation

There is nothing about being "triggered" that would lead anyone who read that comment to take it as a negative comment toward Reader.  You said his situation "reminds  you of" Sam Adams being lazy.  How do you expect that NOT to be taken as a negative swipe at Reader?

But even though you have no idea what you are talking about you still form an opinion.  Why you would choose to form an opinion when you have no idea what you are talking about but **SURPRISE**  The opinion form by PDub is NEGATIVE

What a shocker, right?  PDub comes up with an opinion based on nothing and he thinks Reader has not put in  the work.

So did Reader guarantee he'd be ready opening day?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 01:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So did Reader guarantee he'd be ready opening day?

He said he would be ready.

Apparently it depends on which dictionary you use to decide if that is a "guarantee", but I am going with Merriam-Webster
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 01:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So did Reader guarantee he'd be ready opening day?

He said he will be ready to go when it's time to go. The only possible disparity I see there is what the definition of "when it's time to go"  I take it that opening day is when it's time to go.....
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 10:53 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: They also plug the middle and don't allow OL to pull easily and get to the 2md level on our Lb's and DB's.

I agree, our DL sucked in in 2020 and was probably worse than our OL. Sadly, to win we need to win the trenches, long way to go on both sides to make that happen.

We can  survive without our top DLine person or two.. we can't survive with are starting QB.. so DLine on this team takes a backseat to Oline in my humble opinion. 
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 01:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Next time instead of falling back on political double speak why don't you just own what you said.

What a shocker, right?  PDub comes up with an opinion based on nothing and he thinks Reader has not put in the work.

There's no political double speak. I was quite clear and concise that the conclusion you jumped to was not at all what I said or meant. I literally just explained that to you. You are choosing to be obtuse about it because you feel embarrassed that you read something wrong (SHOCKER) and now want to be argumentative and combative over it to save face. None of us have any knowledge of the injury. Not YOU. Not ME. Why do you feel as if you or anyone else can speak on it and I cannot?

Without knowledge it is fair to ask questions or wonder as to the extent of it. I didn't make absolute statements about Reader's injury. I very clearly allowed the fact that WE DO NOT KNOW to be the theme of my post. The Bengals have been less than forthcoming on injuries, as is their right, and it is our right as fans to question what we see.

I did not say that DJ Reader was lazy. I didn't even come close to inferring that DJ Reader is lazy. I said that his quote reminded me of Sam Adam's quote since it is very similar. Just because Sam Adams said something and then DJ Reader said something similar does not = DJ Reader is lazy. Those aren't even remotely close logical dots to connect.

Since you so vehemently disagree, how is what DJ Reader said different than what Sam Adams said?
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 02:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He said he will be ready to go when it's time to go. The only possible disparity I see there is what the definition of "when it's time to go"  I take it that opening day is when it's time to go.....

That is the way I took it...
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 02:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He said he will be ready to go when it's time to go. The only possible disparity I see there is what the definition of "when it's time to go"  I take it that opening day is when it's time to go.....

(06-01-2021, 02:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is the way I took it...

That was my thing... And, just to be clear... NOT A SHOT AT READER....

- Joey B says "I will be ready to go week 1".

- Reader says "I will be ready when it's time to go".

One statement (Burrow) is quite definitive. One (Reader) leaves total ambiguity and flexibility as to the date due to the vague definition/meaning of "When it's time to go".

If DJ Reader were a contractor and said "I will put up your fence when it's time to put up your fence." You would have no idea as to when he would actually show up to do so. In that scenario, it's up to him to determine the time to put the fence up and not a calendar or planned event.

To keep Fred's blood pressure low: The only guarantee given by DJ Reader is that he will be ready at some point in the space-time continuum. Maybe not even for the Bengals. No one knows or has said at what point in time that actually is.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 02:34 PM)PDub80 Wrote: That was my thing... And, just to be clear... NOT A SHOT AT READER....

One statement (Burrow) is quite definitive. One (Reader) leaves total ambiguity and flexibility as to the date due to the vague definition/meaning of "When it's time to go".

If DJ Reader were a contractor and said "I will put up your fence when it's time to put up your fence." You would have no idea as to when he would actually show up to do so. In that scenario, it's up to him to determine the time to put the fence up and not a calendar or planned event.

To keep Fred's blood pressure low: The only guarantee given by DJ Reader is that he will be ready at some point in the space-time continuum. Maybe not even for the Bengals. No one knows or has said at what point in time that actually is.

Yeah, we will know more come training camp, right now is too early to really tell.

Agree it is vague which makes some people concerned.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 02:34 PM)PDub80 Wrote: That was my thing... And, just to be clear... NOT A SHOT AT READER....

"When it is time to go" means the start of the season.  Doesn't seem ambiguous at all to me.  Don't know how it could mean anything different.

He did NOT say "I will be ready to go when my injury is ready to go".
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 02:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He said he would be ready.

Apparently it depends on which dictionary you use to decide if that is a "guarantee", but I am going with Merriam-Webster

I missed where he said he'd be ready opening day. As I see it; "when it's time to go" is quite ambiguous. Is that:

Training Camp

Week 1

When he's told

Mid Season

I think we all hope for the best, but I also think there's too much "I'm right...you're wrong"

But you can guarantee; I'll remember your stance of what guarantee means.

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 02:24 PM)PDub80 Wrote:  I didn't make absolute statements about Reader's injury.

No, but you clearly told us what you thought.

Reader's injury would have been rehabbed by now if he had put in the work.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 02:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I missed where he said he'd be ready opening day. As I see it; "when it's time to go" is quite ambiguous.

It isn't ambiguous.

It means opening day.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 02:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It isn't ambiguous.

It means opening day.

OK, Thanks. 

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 02:24 PM)PDub80 Wrote: There's no political double speak. I was quite clear and concise that the conclusion you jumped to was not at all what I said or meant. I literally just explained that to you.

Actually you never explain anything.

Every year we hear lots of players make lots of comments about when they will return form injury.   Obviously every on of these comments from all these different players don't remind you of Sam Adams being lazy.  So what was it specifically about Readers comments that prompted you to compare them to the comments Lazy Sam made?

You can spin and deny all you want, but the fact is that anyone who read your comments would logically assume that you were implying that reader had ben lazy with his rehab?
Reply/Quote