Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'll say it: In sports $250 million isn't that much.
It's a huge amount of money for an everyday person, but let's cut Joe some slack.

Mike Trout has a $426 million contract and he's hurt a lot.
Mookie Betts $365 million.
Plenty of baseball players make more than Joe.

In the NBA, Jaylen Brown just signed for $304 million.

I know that fans expectations for Joe switched when he signed that, but putting the dollar figure he got in perspective with other sports.

Joe is THE CHANGE in this franchise. Without Joe, we'd be here hoping to make the playoffs for a crack at a win. He's taken us well beyond that.

Too many of our best players get villafied. (Pickens, Dillon, Spikes, Palmer, etc.) Let's not do that to Joe.
Reply/Quote
People out here bitching about how much Joe makes like it comes out of their pocket or something. It's the weirdest thing. People did the same thing with Votto.

Who cares how much these guys make.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
100%. Joe didn't look that bad at all yesterday, and yet they I've seen people act like he's the reason why we lost. He didn't play like he normally does, but he is also being held back by playcalling and injury. He doesn't have someone like Andy Reid calling the plays.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What he makes doesn't bother me at all. Effort is what matters to me with these high playing athletes. Competing, etc.
Reply/Quote
I have never personally cared how much athletes make. The alternative is that the billionaire owners just keep the money. If we are going to have a mammoth sports league that generates billions and billions, ran by folks who have billions and billions (or at least a billion) then I would rather see the players highly compensated and spread that wealth around.

It doesn't really change my expectation of Joe now that he is so highly paid. Joe set the expectation with his play over the last two years, so that is what I expect of him contract or not.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 11:44 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: People out here bitching about how much Joe makes like it comes out of their pocket or something. It's the weirdest thing. People did the same thing with Votto.

Yeah....and even though Votto came back from the injury and played well early, helping coach these young guys, he's still getting raked over the coals.

I have seen some bashing of Burrow, but I've seen a lot more bashing of everyone else in the organization to avoid blaming him for anything too. 

If he continues to play like he does every year after the first two or three games, he's worth every penny.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 11:45 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: 100%. Joe didn't look that bad at all yesterday, and yet they I've seen people act like he's the reason why we lost. He didn't play like he normally does, but he is also being held back by playcalling and injury. He doesn't have someone like Andy Reid calling the plays.

What? He had 185 of his 222 in the second half. He threw an INT that was at least a ten point swing, if not fourteen, a rating in the 80s. In what world is that not bad? LoL. He's put six consecutive bad quarters, and two decent quarters on film to date this season. 

See what I mean Weezy?  Smirk

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 11:54 AM)Wyche Wrote: What? He had 185 of his 222 in the second half. He threw an INT that was at least a ten point swing, if not fourteen, a rating in the 80s. In what world is that not bad? LoL. He's put six consecutive bad quarters, and two decent quarters on film to date this season. 

See what I mean Weezy?  Smirk

He got screwed by the refs in the first possession, and he had no time of possession in the first half. He had a bone headed INT but he didn't play bad other than that.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 11:40 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's a huge amount of money for an everyday person, but let's cut Joe some slack.

In the NBA, Jaylen Brown just signed for $304 million.

I know that fans expectations for Joe switched when he signed that, but putting the dollar figure he got in perspective with other sports.

Joe is THE CHANGE in this franchise. Without Joe, we'd be here hoping to make the playoffs for a crack at a win. He's taken us well beyond that.

Too many of our best players get villafied. (Pickens, Dillon, Spikes, Palmer, etc.) Let's not do that to Joe.

Without Joe we would have a new HC by now.
Reply/Quote
Some perspective....

Quote:Highest-paid QBs in the NFL: Who’s No. 1 in 2023?
Based on total cash salary as noted by Spotrac.

RANK PLAYER TEAM 2023 SALARY
1 Lamar Jackson Ravens $80M
t-2 Daniel Jones Giants $46M
t-2 Deshaun Watson Browns $46M
4 Joe Burrow Bengals $45.54M
5 Patrick Mahomes Chiefs $40.45M
6 Kyler Murray Cardinals $39M
7 Aaron Rodgers Jets $36.89M
8 Dak Prescott Cowboys $31M
t-9 Derek Carr Saints $30M
t-9 Kirk Cousins Vikings $30M

Quote:Top NFL QB Contracts by Total Value
Click here for Boardroom’s full rundown of the biggest contracts in NFL history.

RANK PLAYER TEAM TOTAL
VALUE AVG. ANNUAL
VALUE
1 P. Mahomes KC $450M $45M
2 J. Burrow CIN $275M $55M
3 J. Herbert LAC $262.5M $52.5M
4 L. Jackson BAL $260M $52M
5 J. Allen BUF $258.03M $43M
6 J. Hurts PHI $255M $51M
7 R. Wilson DEN $242.59M $48.52M
8 K. Murray ARI $230.5M $46.1M
9 D. Watson CLE $230M $46M
t-10 D. Jones NYG $160M $40M
t-10 D. Prescott DAL $160M $40M
t-10 M. Stafford LAR $160M $40M
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:00 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: He got screwed by the refs in the first possession, and he had no time of possession in the first half. He had a bone headed INT but he didn't play bad other than that.

That is largely in part due to his own play.  He does have the power to audible out of plays that the defense looks ready to snuff out.  His calf may have some lingering effects, but that should not impact how his brain operates at the LOS.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Some perspective....

Thank you.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:00 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: He got screwed by the refs in the first possession, and he had no time of possession in the first half. He had a bone headed INT but he didn't play bad other than that.

He was ok in the second half, but he wasn't very good at all in the first. Part of the reason he didn't have the ball was due to his play. 

Reply/Quote
Just responded to a thread that compared Joe burrow to Andy Dalton and thread had disappeared by the time I went to post my response. So here is what I wanted to say:

I just read through a posting of clips and twitter feeds that was absolutely brutal to Burrow, including another fan making the exact same comparison with Andy Dalton. And brutal statements like "Burrow is mid and everyone is afraid to say it," and "Joe Burrow is overrated," and "Joe Burrow stinks," and "Joe Burrow got paid and looks like Andy Dalton. Season over."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089809-joe-burrow-bengals-ripped-by-nfl-fans-after-0-2-start-following-loss-to-ravens

The good thing is that they all put their comments out for the public to see and thus will be forever looking like asses when Burrow comes back big time.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: He was ok in the second half, but he wasn't very good at all in the first. Part of the reason he didn't have the ball was due to his play. 

And that interception when they were in position to take the lead and begin to assert themselves, man did that give me some Carson Palmer flashback vibes..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 11:45 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: 100%. Joe didn't look that bad at all yesterday, and yet they I've seen people act like he's the reason why we lost. He didn't play like he normally does, but he is also being held back by playcalling and injury. He doesn't have someone like Andy Reid calling the plays.

It’s really just as simple as, when you have a bad coach like ZT, you need a world beater performance at QB, or close to it, during every game that you want to win. The sooner this franchise parts ways with Taylor the sooner Joe wins a SB. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 11:40 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's a huge amount of money for an everyday person, but let's cut Joe some slack.

They actually don't. There are plenty of baseball players with more job security than Joe, but 0 who make more than him.

There are only 3 people making at least $40m/yr in baseball. One of them on a 1 year deal, one of them on a 2 year deal, and Aaron Judge at $40m/yr flat on a fresh 9 year deal.

Mike Trout is making $35.5m/yr, Mookie Betts $30.4m/yr. Burrow got $55m/yr and will almost certainly get more later while that's it for those other guys careers.

Not to say I don't agree with some of the point you're trying to make, but you're trying to make it in a really disingenuous way by ignoring the reality that $55m/yr is a ton of money regardless of sports. Average salary-wise, I think he's 3rd in the world in all of sports behind just Mbappe and Messi in soccer.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 11:44 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: People out here bitching about how much Joe makes like it comes out of their pocket or something. It's the weirdest thing. People did the same thing with Votto.

I don't know the secret of life, but when it comes to sports or politics or just getting along with people in general I find that the more I can not care about what other people have, the more mellow I am.

I get why people are frustrated, expectations are a biotch.  We laugh at Browns fans for thinking they'll be anything other than crap but here were are bombarding ourselves with expectations that aren't coming through quite yet.

We expected Burrow to be 100% and ready for week 1 after being carted off the field, and he wasn't.
We expected Burrow to take an unreasonably friendly deal, and he didn't.
We expected to beat the crappy Browns and their rub n' tug enthusiast QB, we didn't.
We expected to have a get-right game against the beat up Ravens, we didn't.

and now we are combating the sting of setting and missing expectations by expecting the Bengals to just do their usual thing and go on a 10+ game winning streak and tear through the playoffs only stopping to worry during the 4th quarter of the AFC Championship game and/or Super Bowl.  

We've got great expectations like we're Tess D'Ubervilles or something (I never read the book, I'm just guessing here).
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 01:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They actually don't. There are plenty of baseball players with more job security than Joe, but 0 who make more than him.

There are only 3 people making at least $40m/yr in baseball. One of them on a 1 year deal, one of them on a 2 year deal, and Aaron Judge at $40m/yr flat on a fresh 9 year deal.

Mike Trout is making $35.5m/yr, Mookie Betts $30.4m/yr. Burrow got $55m/yr and will almost certainly get more later while that's it for those other guys careers.

Not to say I don't agree with some of the point you're trying to make, but you're trying to make it in a really disingenuous way by ignoring the reality that $55m/yr is a ton of money regardless of sports. Average salary-wise, I think he's 3rd in the world in all of sports behind just Mbappe and Messi in soccer.

Add Ronaldo in there. I think he is on a two year, $315MM deal. That one is nuts lol
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is largely in part due to his own play.  He does have the power to audible out of plays that the defense looks ready to snuff out.  His calf may have some lingering effects, but that should not impact how his brain operates at the LOS.

(09-18-2023, 12:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: He was ok in the second half, but he wasn't very good at all in the first. Part of the reason he didn't have the ball was due to his play. 

The refs screwed us in the first drive. Irv Smith thought it was college in the second drive and the third drive we scored points. We didn't have the ball most of the first half, and it wasn't all because of Burrow.
Reply/Quote