Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
I'm Excited About Drew Sample!
Everyone keeps bashing the Sample pick, but Taylor's explanation that he wouldn't be there in the third made sense, especially when I keep saying maybe that he was just underutilized because it looks like that could be the case!

There's not many highlights of him, but, if you watch his games, he has great hands and great body control, and looks like he could do some damage, especially with teams having to pay so much attention to AJ on the outside because a backer can't cover him one-on-one and he's a mismatch for safeties.

Like I said, he has great body control and soft hands, and just these few highlights should give you a clue of what he can do but his quarterback play was weak.

I think that he'll be great for Andy in play action, in the Red Zone, and on third down.
Reply/Quote
Like I am sure many of us did, once the pick was called I looked at some his tape. Two things stood out. He was great blocking when at the point of attack, dominated his man a number of times. Secondly, in the passing game, he did actually get open often, his qb just never looked his way. He was clearly never the first or second read.

Reply/Quote
I think Sample fits the bill for what ZT wants to do perfectly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The more you read and hear about him, the more I like the pick, however would have liked to trade back again and grab him a bit later in the 2nd.

If any of the Jason Witten comparisons are true it may have been a steal
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
video does not work Fritz. Sample is under the radar type workhorse which PFF reported that his blocking was the best among ALL TE in this draft, including Hochenson, Smith Jr.

He caught every single pass but was not targeted often. If Bengals selected him in the 4th, many would have considered he could have been had in the 5th.

The problem I have and many have with the selection is at the time, there were many needed talented edge rushers, backers, and other athletes on the board.

I think Bengals were targeting Risner and should have traded up to get him instead of watching Broncos take him before pick 42. The Bengals went with Risner lite in MJ.

I hope Sample makes the pro-bowl. But one never knows. He has been compared to that kid on the Colts, Doyle or something. I don't know much about him either. All I know is that Taylor is not ashamed of the pick. Defended the pick. Said they loved his work ethic and believe he has the tools to be on the field the same time with Eifert and Uzi.

Read this link by Mel Kiper who gave Bengals A-. Kiper said that Williams and Sample are the two starters from this group:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/28/espn-mel-kiper-jr-draft-grades-2019-bengals-draft-class/
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:29 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Everyone keeps bashing the Sample pick, but Taylor's explanation that he wouldn't be there in the third made sense, especially when I keep saying maybe that he was just underutilized because it looks like that could be the case!

There's not many highlights of him, but, if you watch his games, he has great hands and great body control, and looks like he could do some damage, especially with teams having to pay so much attention to AJ on the outside because a backer can't cover him one-on-one and he's a mismatch for safeties.

Like I said, he has great body control and soft hands, and just these few highlights should give you a clue of what he can do but his quarterback play was weak.

I think that he'll be great for Andy in play action, in the Red Zone, and on third down.

The issue is we live in a fantasy football world. No points for great blocking TE's or great OL. The more I see about him and more I think about adding an actual great blocking TE with Eifert also available as a pass catcher and not have to block much makes me feel the offense in 2019 will look much different in a good way.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I wanted Josh Oliver in the 2nd. So while i was shocked when we took Sample, getting a TE was something I wanted bad so I was never hardcore bummed like a like some of these guys around here. TE was a huge need. Oliver would have been more of a direct Eifert replacement. Like ZT said. Sample just adds to the room. He is a whole different animal.

If Eifert stays healthy... Nvm we have Sample. We can quit saying that now.

If Sample can be half as good as Eifert as a pass catching option and be a top notch blocker. He will live up to his 2nd round status when we are pounding the rock for playoff wins.
Reply/Quote
I could see Sample being maybe like Tyler Kroft as a receiver but also a better blocker than Kroft. I think TE2 is his ceiling, which makes sense given Uzomah was signed to an extension.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 06:19 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: Like I am sure many of us did, once the pick was called I looked at some his tape. Two things stood out. He was great blocking when at the point of attack, dominated his man a number of times. Secondly, in the passing game, he did actually get open often, his qb just never looked his way. He was clearly never the first or second read.

This guy is a key piece to the offense we are building.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 08:56 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: video does not work Fritz.  Sample is under the radar type workhorse which PFF reported that his blocking was the best among ALL TE in this draft, including Hochenson, Smith Jr.

He caught every single pass but was not targeted often.  If Bengals selected him in the 4th, many would have considered he could have been had in the 5th.  

The problem I have and many have with the selection is at the time, there were many needed talented edge rushers, backers, and other athletes on the board.  

I think Bengals were targeting Risner and should have traded up to get him instead of watching Broncos take him before pick 42.  The Bengals went with Risner lite in MJ.  

I hope Sample makes the pro-bowl.  But one never knows.  He has been compared to that kid on the Colts, Doyle or something.  I don't know much about him either.  All I know is that Taylor is not ashamed of the pick.  Defended the pick.  Said they loved his work ethic and believe he has the tools to be on the field the same time with Eifert and Uzi.  

Read this link by Mel Kiper who gave Bengals A-.  Kiper said that Williams and Sample are the two starters from this group:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/28/espn-mel-kiper-jr-draft-grades-2019-bengals-draft-class/

bengals tried to trade up in the 2nd but where not able to do so.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 08:56 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: video does not work Fritz.  Sample is under the radar type workhorse which PFF reported that his blocking was the best among ALL TE in this draft, including Hochenson, Smith Jr.

He caught every single pass but was not targeted often.  If Bengals selected him in the 4th, many would have considered he could have been had in the 5th.  

I think Bengals were targeting Risner and should have traded up to get him instead of watching Broncos take him before pick 42.  The Bengals went with Risner lite in MJ.  

I hope Sample makes the pro-bowl.  But one never knows.  He has been compared to that kid on the Colts, Doyle or something.  I don't know much about him either.  All I know is that Taylor is not ashamed of the pick.  Defended the pick.  Said they loved his work ethic and believe he has the tools to be on the field the same time with Eifert and Uzi.  

Read this link by Mel Kiper who gave Bengals A-.  Kiper said that Williams and Sample are the two starters from this group:

I disagree that there were many needed talented backers on the board. The only linebacker (off ball, as there were a few pass rushers labeled LBs that went in the 2nd round) that went between our 2nd and 3rd picks was Jahlani Tavai.  And, man. If people were upset about the reach that Sample was, they would have been equally upset about the reach that Tavai would have been. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jahlani-tavai?id=32195441-5638-0238-d6cc-25aa17b18c0d

There were a few interesting edge rushers available, but none that I think would start over Lawson or Dunlap and none that I think would immediately take snaps from Willis or Hubbard. The only one I think would have been of value was Zach Allen, but his ability to contribute is up for debate, as he isn't all that athletic and is a DE/DT tweener, especially in the 4-3. 

I think we could have taken a WR in the 2nd round like JJ Arcega-Whiteside, especially since Boyd and Green are on their final years and Ross has not shown much since joining the league, but it seems the Bengals are confident they can resign Green and Boyd, as they completely avoided the position this entire draft.

Was there a particular player you were upset we missed out on in the 2nd?
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 10:45 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I disagree that there were many needed talented backers on the board. The only linebacker (off ball, as there were a few pass rushers labeled LBs that went in the 2nd round) that went between our 2nd and 3rd picks was Jahlani Tavai.  And, man. If people were upset about the reach that Sample was, they would have been equally upset about the reach that Tavai would have been. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jahlani-tavai?id=32195441-5638-0238-d6cc-25aa17b18c0d

There were a few interesting edge rushers available, but none that I think would start over Lawson or Dunlap and none that I think would immediately take snaps from Willis or Hubbard. The only one I think would have been of value was Zach Allen, but his ability to contribute is up for debate, as he isn't all that athletic and is a DE/DT tweener, especially in the 4-3. 

I think we could have taken a WR in the 2nd round like JJ Arcega-Whiteside, especially since Boyd and Green are on their final years and Ross has not shown much since joining the league, but it seems the Bengals are confident they can resign Green and Boyd, as they completely avoided the position this entire draft.

LB or TE...whoever we took in 2...we would have been reaching some. BUT, you don't take guys for where they are graded. You take guys that you think will be the best in your system and be the best Pros.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 10:45 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I disagree that there were many needed talented backers on the board. The only linebacker (off ball, as there were a few pass rushers labeled LBs that went in the 2nd round) that went between our 2nd and 3rd picks was Jahlani Tavai.  And, man. If people were upset about the reach that Sample was, they would have been equally upset about the reach that Tavai would have been. 

I wanted Zach Allen maybe Banogu.  Wilson was viewed as the best backer available at the time which turns out he was over rated, but fans did not know this at the time.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 10:47 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: LB or TE...whoever we took in 2...we would have been reaching some. BUT, you don't take guys for where they are graded. You take guys that you think will be the best in your system and be the best Pros.

I agree. It's interesting because this draft had a lot of first round talent (a prospect you expect to start from day 1 or be a pro bowler within 1 to 2 years). It had a lot of 3rd to 5th round talent (a prospect you expect to start eventually but may need some fine tuning or they would need to fulfill their potential in order for them to work out). But it didn't have all that much 2nd round talent (a prospect that may start from day 1, or may start later in their rookie year who, if things break right, could be a pro bowler in the future.)

In that context, there weren't a whole lot of 2nd round prospects in this draft. There were so many first round prospects they started to leak into the 2nd round, but they were at positions we didn't really need, like CB and S. So we were in a pickle regardless. 

Our needs in the 2nd round simply did not align with the value that was there, so instead of taking a player who was "worth the pick" but would sit at 5th on our depth chart for 1 or even 2 years, we decided to take a player at a position we needed and just absorb the criticism for "reaching," even though our coaches insist Sample would have been picked in the 2nd round if we didn't do it. I don't necessarily believe them, but they know much more than me so...
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 11:04 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I wanted Zach Allen maybe Banogu.  Wilson was viewed as the best backer available at the time which turns out he was over rated, but fans did not know this at the time.  

Yea, Wilson would have been a good choice at the time, but in hindsight it's a blessing that we didn't select him (at least relative to where the other teams valued him). Allen was the only player that I would have even considered over Sample in hindsight. So I know it was a shock in the moment, but in hindsight I think the selection was pretty much fine.
Reply/Quote
The one 'gamble' that was there in the 2nd was Metcalf. Ay 52 anyway. Greedy Williams was there at 42. And obviously they didn't even address CB til round 7 and didn't address wr at all in the draft. There were some safeties, but they didn't draft one of those either.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 11:06 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I agree. It's interesting because this draft had a lot of first round talent (a prospect you expect to start from day 1 or be a pro bowler within 1 to 2 years). It had a lot of 3rd to 5th round talent (a prospect you expect to start eventually but may need some fine tuning or they would need to fulfill their potential in order for them to work out). But it didn't have all that much 2nd round talent (a prospect that may start from day 1, or may start later in their rookie year who, if things break right, could be a pro bowler in the future.)

In that context, there weren't a whole lot of 2nd round prospects in this draft. There were so many first round prospects they started to leak into the 2nd round, but they were at positions we didn't really need, like CB and S. So we were in a pickle regardless. 

Our needs in the 2nd round simply did not align with the value that was there, so instead of taking a player who was "worth the pick" but would sit at 5th on our depth chart for 1 or even 2 years, we decided to take a player at a position we needed and just absorb the criticism for "reaching," even though our coaches insist Sample would have been picked in the 2nd round if we didn't do it. I don't necessarily believe them, but they know much more than me so...

^ This is incorrect. The talent and numerical grades on these prospects, included 75% of the first round picks  were in line with previous drafts 2nd, 3rd, & 4th rounders. Dave Lapham specifically said in his podcasts and in interviews before the draft that there was only a single digit number of guys who would have even been considered fringe 1st rounders compared to previous drafts.

He said that you could get a guy in the 4th who would be a 2nd round talent and vice versa as there were a ton of guys graded in that range but, obviously, only so many 2nd & 3rd round selections by teams.

Look at the QBs, for example. None of them would have been 1st rounders in previous drafts and maybe not even 2nd. There was no Andrw Luck or anything even close. Same thing with WRs. There was no AJ Green this year. No Julio Jones, etc.

Could these guys all turn out awesome and the talent evaluators be wrong? Of course! However, all anyone can go off of at this point are the actual grades given to each guy. Inlike that the Bengals took a guy they wanted and moved on. Let's see the plan!

For what it's worth, I think Drew Sample has Jason Witten written all over him. Time will tell!
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 10:36 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: This guy is a key piece to the offense we are building.

Agree.   Seems clear to me that ZT has a well developed plan and is executing it to a tee.  Most had this guy underrated.  Liked what Drew Boylhart from The Huddle Report had to say.  Seems to dovetail with everything our coaches said:

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=783
Reply/Quote
this is a system pick about a system we really haven't seen yet. George Kittle was considered a 4-6th round pick going into the draft. He was drafted around there, but if he were to be redrafted today he would be a round 1 pick. You just never know what you don't know. They wanted an offensive lineman in the 2nd, but they couldn't move up so they decided to move back and got extra picks. Keep in mind when ur talking about our 2nd round pick its basically two picks, Sample + Wren. Ultimately I think we could have went for a receiver or corner, but they want a specific style of TE for their team who am I to say its not the correct pick.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 12:44 PM)Okeana Wrote: this is a system pick about a system we really haven't seen yet.  George Kittle was considered a 4-6th round pick going into the draft.  He was drafted around there, but if he were to be redrafted today he would be a round 1 pick.  You just never know what you don't know.  They wanted an offensive lineman in the 2nd, but they couldn't move up so they decided to move back and got extra picks.  Keep in mind when ur talking about our 2nd round pick its basically two picks, Sample + Wren.  Ultimately I think we could have went for a receiver or corner, but they want a specific style of TE for their team who am I to say its not the correct pick.

Only time will tell
Reply/Quote