Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Glad Paul Guenther is Still Here
With so many Cincinnati coaches leaving for other jobs in the NFL, I think it is a good idea to reflect on some genuinely good news: Paul Guenther is returning as defensive coordinator for 2016. Allowing only two more points than the Seattle Seahawks, the Bengals had the #2 scoring defense in the entire league -- and held the #1 position for much of the season. This is pure gold. I don't care about how many passing or rushing yards the Bengals' defense allows; I care about how many points they allow.

Also, I saw an interview with Vontaze Burfict and he said of Paul Guenther: "I love 'G' like I love my own mother."

That makes it official!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm also glad that Guenther is still here. This season will be a true test of his coordinating ability. Thus far, he had the advantage of same defensive coaching staff that was in place from the Zimmer era. I feel like the new position coaches will be more reflective of Guenther's attitude and style, as I'm sure that he is a voice in the room when it comes to hiring.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Yep....it's a good thing.....otherwise we wouldn't have a defensive coach at all! LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
These moves could be made becajse Pauly is a strong enough coordinator.

This will only add to defense. Sometimes things can get stale if they aren't shaken up.
Reply/Quote
I like what I heard from Haslett on the website as well. I think Vontaze will be just fine under both of them!
Reply/Quote
While I'm mostly happy with the defense, I will say this about a "bend, don't break" defensive style: It's weakness is in the situation the Bengals were in when Pittsburgh got the ball for the last time last Saturday. Bend don't break is great for keeping you in games. It helps you demolish lesser teams. It gives you a chance against better teams. However, when there's a three point or less difference in the game, and the other team has the ball late and is driving, bend don't break drives me insane.
Reply/Quote
Hear hear, very glad Pauly G is still our DC. When he got the job I was highly cautious about it, and was not a fan. But this season in particular he's really shown me to be wrong on that one. Glad to have him on board.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 01:23 PM)hitchopottimus Wrote: While I'm mostly happy with the defense, I will say this about a "bend, don't break" defensive style: It's weakness is in the situation the Bengals were in when Pittsburgh got the ball for the last time last Saturday. Bend don't break is great for keeping you in games. It helps you demolish lesser teams. It gives you a chance against better teams. However, when there's a three point or less difference in the game, and the other team has the ball late and is driving, bend don't break drives me insane.

There is alao field position to consider.  A 3 and out from the 20 is a lot better than a punt from the 50 where these guys drop it inside the 10 with regularity.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I'm officially a fan of Polly-G. I was skeptical like most once Zimmer left, but our D was the only reason we've been in the past few games without Dalton. I'm also warming up to the Haslett hiring, he'll be a solid confidant for Guenther due to his vast experience in the NFL as both a positions coach and a DC. I feel pretty confident that our defense will be solid once again next season.
Reply/Quote
Was also skeptical of Guenther at first and was sure that the D would take steps backward, but this past season shows that he is really good at what he does. The scheme seems to emphasize what the players are good at while masking their deficiencies-possibly better than Zimmer had.
Reply/Quote
Early prediction. PaulieG takes over as hc in 2017, & Jim Haslett promoted to DC.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote