Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Not So Sure #1 is a Tight End
I'm seeing CBS and ESPN and such saying Bengals take a Tight End, and the names of the Tight Ends differ. However with The DBs gone in Free Agency, The Bengals can't be happy at DB. Bengals play 80 % on defense with 5 or more DB's on the field.

It could be a Tight End, but don't bet on it. I think a good chance another position, and Bengals DB's got a lot weaker during Free Agency. Now Bengals took DB's 1st and 2nd in last years draft, but losing the DB's they lost lately, Bengals Coaches depend heavy on having DB's, since Bengals are in the Nickle or the Dime 80 % of the time to deal with the now pass happy NFL.

In the end, Bengals draft late again due to winning a lot of games, which is fine by me. I'll take winning over top draft picks. Bengals will take Best Available Athlete, and it could be a Tight End, but it's impossible to say who will be on the board when Bengals draft near end of Round One. It won't be a quarterback, and that's one of the few positions we can rule out. I think media could be wrong on saying Bengals take a Tight End.

I have faith now in Coach Taylor and Coaches after back to back great seasons, so whoever they get is fine by me. GO BENGALS and keep driving back to The Super Bowl.

With Bengals losing Bell and Bates, they also have three DB's still unsigned in free agency. Bengals are probably in Draft Mode now, looking to see how The Draft plays out. If Bengals do not get a top DB in the draft, don't be surprised if Bengals quickly resign some Bengals DB's still sitting in Free Agency needing a team. One way or another, Bengals must restock depth at DB.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I think their 2 biggest holes are TE and RT. TE because Smith has missed a lot of time and has been injured often. Doesn’t mean if there’s not a top one they’d go there. RT is a problem because Jonah will be traded and Collins was unable to practice much even before his massive knee injuries with a bad back. Carman is on his last contract year. But they won’t reach with a guy if one they like isn’t there. If they don’t like their options and say Forbes is there he’d be a likely choice as would Bijan. Give me Forbes,Kincaid, Mayer, Darnel Wright, Anton Harrison, or Bijan and you can have the field for $100. JK
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 03:38 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think their 2 biggest holes are TE and RT. TE because Smith has missed a lot of time and has been injured often. Doesn’t mean if there’s not a top one they’d go there. RT is a problem because Jonah will be traded and Collins was unable to practice much even before his massive knee injuries with a bad back. Carman is on his last contract year. But they won’t reach with a guy if one they like isn’t there. If they don’t like their options and say Forbes is there he’d be a likely choice as would Bijan. Give me Forbes,Kincaid, Mayer, Darnel Wright, Anton Harrison, or Bijan and you can have the field for $100. JK
I think Forbes is going to go higher than some might think ( Top 20).
Reply/Quote
Tight end in the first just doesn’t make sense this year. So much depth at TE. It would be much more prudent to draft a DL or DB that slides on draft day and pick up a near equivalent TE on day 2, maybe 3. The value at 28 for Mayer or Kincaid isn’t really there at 28, we would be drafting T their ceiling.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Probably truly looking at best available, as the OP notes. There are a number of positions the Bengals need to strengthen, but I'm sure they don't want to reach based on perceived need, since they have serviceable options at all positions. I think it comes down to who slides. And they may even trade down for more picks rather than reach at 28.

If Kincaid or Mayer slide to 28, then those would upgrade an area that needs an infusion of talent. If it doesn't look like they can get a deal with Higgins, and he might test free agency after the season, and with Boyd likely gone after the season, then a TE would be a buffer if a good TE falls. But in most mocks, it seems that Kincaid and Mayer are gone by 28 and Washington is probably a reach at 28.

I doubt Darnell Wright is there at 28. If he is, then he is probably best player available and strengthens the line. But, unlike many posters, I don't see RT as a need. The Bengals invested a lot in free agency in the past two years, with four OL free agents signed (Orlando Brown, Karras, Cappa, and La'el Collins) and a draft pick in Volson. They have serviceable options, including plugging Jonah in, despite his wish for a trade.

I don't see a RB they would draft at 28, unless Bijan Robinson drops, which is highly unlikely.

So, it may well be that CB or safety or DL offers the BPA at 28. I do so some mocks projecting a CB, knowing, as the OP noted, Lou's reliance on DBs in his schemes.

The Bengals are in good shape. They can go in any direction, depends on who falls, or trade down if they don't see the value at the pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 03:38 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think their 2 biggest holes are TE and RT. TE because Smith has missed a lot of time and has been injured often. Doesn’t mean if there’s not a top one they’d go there. RT is a problem because Jonah will be traded and Collins was unable to practice much even before his massive knee injuries with a bad back. Carman is on his last contract year. But they won’t reach with a guy if one they like isn’t there. If they don’t like their options and say Forbes is there he’d be a likely choice as would Bijan. Give me Forbes,Kincaid, Mayer, Darnel Wright, Anton Harrison, or Bijan and you can have the field for $100. JK

Carman has 2 years left on his contract. Only been here 2. 2025 FA. I do not see RT as that big if a need this year. Though Jonah's situation & Collins' rehab are factors. We have 3 viable candidates + 3 guys as the 4th OT candidates (Ford, Adeniji, Smith). I do not see a tackle pick unless it is plug & play. Which means Rd 1. 

I do not believe Jonah will sit out & I do not believe we give him away for peanuts. Though if we get another tip 100 pick for Jonah, the equation changes. 

As for TE, if Mayer & Kincaid are gone, I think we go in another direction. Forbes or Banks at corner. Kancey at DT. A falling DE like Murphy or Smith/Van Ness. Flowers at WR. Bijan at RB. Wright at OT.

Now, if ALL those guys are gone and it is Branch, Addison/Johnston at WR. Washington/LaPorta at TE. Smith at CB. Bresee/Felix/Adebewore on the DL. Or D. Jones/Mauch at tackle, or Schmitz/Torrence on IOL or Sanders/Simpson at LB, that is trade down time.
Reply/Quote
I agree with the OP, not sure team sees TE as a position they feel warrants a round 1 grade in importance. It takes a partner, but I could see the Bengals trade their pick to a team for an early second round pick to get an additional pick later.

If they do take their pick, I see it being a CB, OT or TE.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 08:19 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Tight end in the first just doesn’t make sense this year. So much depth at TE. It would be much more prudent to draft a DL or DB that slides on draft day and pick up a near equivalent TE on day 2, maybe 3. The value at 28 for Mayer or Kincaid isn’t really there at 28, we would be drafting T their ceiling.

Kincaid and Mayer make almost every major top 25 regardless of position lists by the meaningful experts. Being a TE and being a top 25 is noteworthy. Now if they aren’t there the best bet is to get a TE in the second or third. The next priority I think is RT because Carman is still unproven at RT and period really and contract is up. Collins had a bad back before his MCL and ACL. Jonah won’t be here. It’s a hole as is TE because of Smiths injury history. Cornerback it’s unlikely they start this year. It’s less a priority but we are thin there. It’ll be interesting where they go at 28. They’ve got lots of flexibility. Certainly Forbes is a real possibility at 28 but it’ll depend on who’s available at TE or RT. JMHO
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 11:56 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Carman has 2 years left on his contract. Only been here 2. 2025 FA. I do not see RT as that big if a need this year. Though Jonah's situation & Collins' rehab are factors. We have 3 viable candidates + 3 guys as the 4th OT candidates (Ford, Adeniji, Smith). I do not see a tackle pick unless it is plug & play. Which means Rd 1. 

I do not believe Jonah will sit out & I do not believe we give him away for peanuts. Though if we get another tip 100 pick for Jonah, the equation changes. 

As for TE, if Mayer & Kincaid are gone, I think we go in another direction. Forbes or Banks at corner. Kancey at DT. A falling DE like Murphy or Smith/Van Ness. Flowers at WR. Bijan at RB. Wright at OT.

Now, if ALL those guys are gone and it is Branch, Addison/Johnston at WR. Washington/LaPorta at TE. Smith at CB. Bresee/Felix/Adebewore on the DL. Or D. Jones/Mauch at tackle, or Schmitz/Torrence on IOL or Sanders/Simpson at LB, that is trade down time.

I agree with most all these sentiments and you are right about Carman’s contract. My mistake. But RT isn’t solidified still. If it’s someone they like I think they’ll pull the trigger.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 08:19 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Tight end in the first just doesn’t make sense this year.  So much depth at TE.  It would be much more prudent to draft a DL or DB that slides on draft day and pick up a near equivalent TE on day 2, maybe 3.  The value at 28 for Mayer or Kincaid isn’t really there at 28, we would be drafting T their ceiling.

True...kind of.
Bengals might be able to get a decent starter in Rd 3 or later, but they could get a bona fide stud if they get one in Rd 1.
If the goal is just to get someone who can be solid, sure may as well wait. It's a deep draft for just solid TEs.
Not sure there are a whole bunch of long-term above average starters in the class though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 02:17 AM)kevin Wrote: I'm seeing CBS and ESPN and such saying Bengals take a Tight End, and the names of the Tight Ends differ.  However with The DBs gone in Free Agency, The Bengals can't be happy at DB.  Bengals play 80 % on defense with 5 or more DB's on the field.  

It could be a Tight End, but don't bet on it.  I think a good chance another position, and Bengals DB's got a lot weaker during Free Agency.  Now Bengals took DB's 1st and  2nd in last years draft, but losing the DB's they lost lately, Bengals Coaches depend heavy on having DB's, since Bengals are in the Nickle or the Dime 80 % of the time to deal with the now pass happy NFL.

In the end, Bengals draft late again due to winning a lot of games, which is fine by me.  I'll take winning over top draft picks.  Bengals will take Best Available Athlete, and it could be a Tight End, but it's impossible to say who will be on the board when Bengals draft near end of Round One.  It won't be a quarterback, and that's one of the few positions we can rule out.  I think media could be wrong on saying Bengals take a Tight End.

I have faith now in Coach Taylor and Coaches after back to back great seasons, so whoever they get is fine by me.  GO BENGALS and keep driving back to The Super Bowl.

With Bengals losing Bell and Bates, they also have three DB's still unsigned in free agency.  Bengals are probably in Draft Mode now, looking to see how The Draft plays out.  If Bengals do not get a top DB in the draft, don't be surprised if Bengals quickly resign some Bengals DB's still sitting in Free Agency needing a team. One way or another, Bengals must restock depth at DB.

Hoping for Banks to fall to us but I doubt he does similar to Bijan who I think we would love to grab as well.

Forbes is probably the pick, not a TE in the first I agree. Forbes or Wright are probably the picks. For some reason I think Pollack and
the coaches like Carman though at RT. If we do go TE it better be Mayer or Washington though, the Kincaid talk is making me nervous
as this guy just had a back injury and cannot block at all. Such a risk, would remind me of the way we used to pick injured players back
in our terrible run after 2015.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 12:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: True...kind of.
Bengals might be able to get a decent starter in Rd 3 or later, but they could get a bona fide stud if they get one in Rd 1.
If the goal is just to get someone who can be solid, sure may as well wait. It's a deep draft for just solid TEs.
Not sure there are a whole bunch of long-term above average starters in the class though.

Just not true. Tight ends and where they are drafted have no correlation to NFL success.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 12:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with the OP, not sure team sees TE as a position they feel warrants a round 1 grade in importance. It takes a partner, but I could see the Bengals trade their pick to a team for an early second round pick to get an additional pick later.

Just hedging all bets, eh?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 04:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hoping for Banks to fall to us but I doubt he does similar to Bijan who I think we would love to grab as well.

Forbes is probably the pick, not a TE in the first I agree. Forbes or Wright are probably the picks. For some reason I think Pollack and
the coaches like Carman though at RT. If we do go TE it better be Mayer or Washington though, the Kincaid talk is making me nervous
as this guy just had a back injury and cannot block at all. Such a risk, would remind me of the way we used to pick injured players back
in our terrible run after 2015.

I like Banks but honestly I would rather have Forbes as I think he has the makings of being a real ballhawk and game changer at CB. If Forbes went 188 as opposed to 166 then I believe he is being talked about as a top 12 prospect.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 12:07 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Kincaid and Mayer make almost every major top 25 regardless of position lists by the meaningful experts. Being a TE and being a top 25 is noteworthy. Now if they aren’t there the best bet is to get a TE in the second or third. The next priority I think is RT because Carman is still unproven at RT and period really and contract is up. Collins had a bad back before his MCL and ACL. Jonah won’t be here. It’s a hole as is TE because of Smiths injury history. Cornerback it’s unlikely they start this year. It’s less a priority but we are thin there. It’ll be interesting where they go at 28. They’ve got lots of flexibility. Certainly Forbes is a real possibility at 28 but it’ll depend on who’s available at TE or RT. JMHO

Do you mean Jonah won't be here in '23 or not here in '24? The Bengals have zero leverage in trading Jonah. Unless a team had an absolute emergency at LT then it is highly unlikely that the come calling for Jonah and give up anything worth trading him for. All the other 31 teams know that he is a free agent in '24 that is not going to cost them a pick or $12.6 million in salary. People may want to brace for him being the RT in '23. If he chooses not to play or does not play his ass off it could really hurt him as a free agent.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 07:13 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Do you mean Jonah won't be here in '23 or not here in '24? The Bengals have zero leverage in trading Jonah. Unless a team had an absolute emergency at LT then it is highly unlikely that the come calling for Jonah and give up anything worth trading him for. All the other 31 teams know that he is a free agent in '24 that is not going to cost them a pick or $12.6 million in salary. People may want to brace for him being the RT in '23. If he chooses not to play or does not play his ass off it could really hurt him as a free agent.

It would not surprise me in the least to see Jonah Williams traded, perhaps even during the draft.  It happens every year when a team misses out on the prospect that they had their eye on.  Even with his faults, Williams is at least an experienced, solid LT capable of starting.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 07:13 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Do you mean Jonah won't be here in '23 or not here in '24? The Bengals have zero leverage in trading Jonah. Unless a team had an absolute emergency at LT then it is highly unlikely that the come calling for Jonah and give up anything worth trading him for. All the other 31 teams know that he is a free agent in '24 that is not going to cost them a pick or $12.6 million in salary. People may want to brace for him being the RT in '23. If he chooses not to play or does not play his ass off it could really hurt him as a free agent.

Yes I expect he’ll be gone at the latest on draft day. We’ll see.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 12:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with the OP, not sure team sees TE as a position they feel warrants a round 1 grade in importance. It takes a partner, but I could see the Bengals trade their pick to a team for an early second round pick to get an additional pick later.

The Baltimore Ravens are already excited over the DB's the Bengals lost in Free Agency and saying The Bengals lost too many of their DB's.  So Ravens think Bengals are ready to collapse.  

However Bengals still have Flowers, Apple, Wilson, Lammons that they could resign at DB and Wilcox at TE.   Allen at QB.  Johnston at LB. 

What I'm guessing the Bengals are doing is waiting for the Draft and Best Available Athlete.  If a good young DB falls that they feel can help replace Bates, could be the move.  Bengals already signed a free agent TE and also Sample and could bring back Wilcox who made some nice plays.   

Ravens are right, losing Bell and Bates is huge and if Flowers, Apple, Wilson, Lammons not resigned, Ravens are correct that Bengals Super Bowl Defense just got a lot weaker at DB.   

The surprise for Ravens is that I think Coach Taylor and Defensive Coaches have a plan.  See how The Draft plays out and then resign some or all of the group of Flowers, Apple, Wilson, Lammons.   It could be The Bengals Defensive Coordinator ends up with DB's to keep his Super Bowl Defense strong, and Ravens were off thinking this is the Fall of The Bengals. 

So it could be a TE, but don't bet on it.   I do think the only thing holding up resigning the Bengals they could keep, is it is so close to The Draft now, that all focus is on The Draft.  Then Undrafted Free Agents.  Then Bengals look to Bengals in Free Agency to bring back OR other teams Free Agents still out there.  The Ravens will find The Bengals did not turn into a swiss cheese defense under this Bengals Defensive Coordinator as they thought. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 06:34 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Just not true.  Tight ends and where they are drafted have no correlation to NFL success.

I mean sure, good TEs have come from all rounds, but if you're trying to hedge your bets, you're typically looking at the better prospects the earlier in the draft.

Will someone like Brenton Strange be as good as Sam LaPorta, Michael Mayer, or Darnell Washington when all is said and done?
He might be, but there's a reason the other guys are projected higher - they offer a higher projected ceiling and/or safer floor.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Two TE's I'm really high on in mid rounds are Brenton Strange and Davis Allen.

Strange is tough as nails, a willing blocker who is effective inline and on the move and a capable receiver and decent route runner who still has room to get better in both areas, and I think he will. I think he'd be a very solid fit with the Bengals, and the kind of player that will do whatever is needed to help his team with a nonstop motor and super competitive attitude.

Allen has been called the 'human vacuum' and no, it's not because he sucks. LOL All he does is catch everything thrown his way. He's got very good hands, a solid catch radius and wins contested catches at a high rate. While his blocking isn't on par with Strange, he's more than willing and has continued to improve. He seems like a guy Burrow would love because he's so reliable.
Reply/Quote