Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Statistics called back by personal fouls
So, this is a question that I've had brewing in the back of my head the last few weeks. And some may think it's completely inconsequential (because stats don't really matter, beyond Ws and Ls.)

But I can't help but wonder, should there be a statistic that compiles stats that were wiped out by personal fouls (read: penalties that had no impact on the actual play itself).

It's one thing to get a sack and have it called back by a defensive pass interference or holding call. You could argue that sack should not count because the QB may have been able to avoid the sack if the player was not interefered with or held. The same reason RBs don't get rushing stats on plays where an offensive lineman holds. Because if that player didn't hold, chances are the RB doesn't get those stats anyway.

That all makes perfect sense to me.

What doesn't make sense is when there is a play that ends in a sack. There was no holding to prevent the QB's target from being open unfairly. There was no hands to the face or otherwise some sort of interference that allowed the sack to happen where it otherwise would not have.

But then the way in which the defensive lineman brought the QB to the ground (or even a scrum after the play is already over) causes a personal foul or roughing the passer penalty that negates the whole thing.

In my opinion, I think those should be ruled as sacks, and THEN a penalty that goes 15 yards from the original line of scrimmage.

That sack should not be stricken from the record.

Like I said, you could make the argument that this isn't what players should be worried about. But you could see in Lawson's interview that he was upset that his sack was removed due to a "bull crap" penalty (whether or not it was is up for debate. I personally side with Lawson on this one. He was not rough with that QB at all).

Whether we like it or not, sacks are a defensive lineman's livelihood. They are the stat that dictates their pay. A free agent DE can go into the offices of coaches and team owners and say "I had 14 sacks last year and 35 over the last 3 years. I will be an asset to your team."

Now, what do they say? "I had 10 sacks. But 13 if you count the ones that were called back due to arguably ticky tacky personal fouls."

Maybe the NFL sees it as a punishment to remove those stats from a player's record as a means to discourage personal fouls but...I dunno. It has just never sat well with me. The penalty is arguable. But the sack is not. The DE got there. He sacked the QB. Give him his stat, even if it means nothing to the actual game context at the time...

/rant
Reply/Quote
This is a foul in today's NFL...

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Carl%2BLawson/Cincinnati%2BBengals%2Bvs%2BAtlanta%2BFalcons/B4Hrk6msLDK
Reply/Quote
Hands to the helmet yeah that's a flag ...looks like he is twisting the head around as well
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 10:08 AM)spazz70 Wrote: This is a foul in today's NFL...

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Carl%2BLawson/Cincinnati%2BBengals%2Bvs%2BAtlanta%2BFalcons/B4Hrk6msLDK
Does the fact that he's being held by the neck by Fusco have any bearing on anything?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote