Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ima gonna get me a new table saw!
And just because I'm a poor man I've decided to let YOUR grandkids pay for it when the next round of stimulus checks come around.
Don't worry..Your grandkids probably won't bother to call you when you're old and lonely anyway.. They'll all be layabouts smoking cigarettes and playing video games in your basement and stealing your money for frivolous crap..
In the meantime I'll be working building cabinets, etc.. 

Soooo.. anyway..I'm eyeballing the Laguna Fusion 3.. 3HP 220V motor...Nice.. 

In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 08:22 AM)grampahol Wrote: And just because I'm a poor man I've decided to let YOUR grandkids pay for it when the next round of stimulus checks come around.
Don't worry..Your grandkids probably won't bother to call you when you're old and lonely anyway.. They'll all be layabouts smoking cigarettes and playing video games in your basement and stealing your money for frivolous crap..
In the meantime I'll be working building cabinets, etc.. 

Soooo.. anyway..I'm eyeballing the Laguna Fusion 3.. 3HP 220V motor...Nice.. 

How'd the finger heal up from the old table saw?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 02:58 PM)jason Wrote: How'd the finger heal up from the old table saw?

It's still a finger..still attached mostly. I lost a little bit, about an 8th of an inch, but you can't really tell it if I don't show where the fingernail grows over the little bit of skin. There's a small numb spot, but that's about it.. 
Pretty sure I've been talked into a Sawstop instead, but that's still up to debate in my mind..  Mellow

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
These pieces of good equipment seem expensive, but if you are making cabinets or furniture to sale they will save you time and improve the quality of your product.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2021, 04:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: These pieces of good equipment seem expensive, but if you are making cabinets or furniture to sale they will save you time and improve the quality of your product.

That's the reason I want to upgrade. My old saw, an old craftsman still works and is fairly accurate for what it is, but the top is slotted cast aluminum instead of cast iron and it makes it like pushing a Cadillac up a hill in the snow with an old rope.. The next saw will be cast iron, no slots except for the miter gauge slots and a 52" ripping capacity instead of my crapsman's 30"..  I need to be able to rip full plywood sheets without a couple other people standing on the other side to keep them from falling on the floor during the cuts.. I should be able to pay for the new saw by summer time or sooner through new customers.. 

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 04:31 PM)grampahol Wrote: That's the reason I want to upgrade. My old saw, an old craftsman still works and is fairly accurate for what it is, but the top is slotted cast aluminum instead of cast iron and it makes it like pushing a Cadillac up a hill in the snow with an old rope.. The next saw will be cast iron, no slots except for the miter gauge slots and a 52" ripping capacity instead of my crapsman's 30"..  I need to be able to rip full plywood sheets without a couple other people standing on the other side to keep them from falling on the floor during the cuts.. I should be able to pay for the new saw by summer time or sooner through new customers.. 

To first:  That's a good trick.  I've never tried pushing a car with a rope..  LOL

On other:  You never built extension tables around your current saw?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 05:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To first:  That's a good trick.  I've never tried pushing a car with a rope..  LOL

On other:  You never built extension tables around your current saw?

I could have built them, but the rails the fence ride on are too short. After upgrading the fence a few years ago I wasn't dumping more money into a saw with no dust collection ability, a 25 years old motor and one that is hard as hell to change the blade angle on. Nope..time to move on. Now i could have bought a used saw for quite a bit less, but they too are heavy and I'm past the age of moving 500 pounds of steel and iron off the back of my truck.. I no longer have steel toed boots and ain't gonna get them just to move a used saw either.. I want a new saw delivered to my shop. I'll do all the setup. I've done all that before. 
I've leaned heavily toward Sawstop, but I still want a cabinet saw and the least expensive option they have is almost $3000. I can get a new Grizzly for $1750 with a 240 V motor, 52" rip capacity and the Grizzly name which is pretty well regarded as well, just without the SS technology.. I don't plan on chopping off the ends of any fingers again any time soon..

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 09:45 PM)grampahol Wrote: I could have built them, but the rails the fence ride on are too short. After upgrading the fence a few years ago I wasn't dumping more money into a saw with no dust collection ability, a 25 years old motor and one that is hard as hell to change the blade angle on. Nope..time to move on. Now i could have bought a used saw for quite a bit less, but they too are heavy and I'm past the age of moving 500 pounds of steel and iron off the back of my truck.. I no longer have steel toed boots and ain't gonna get them just to move a used saw either.. I want a new saw delivered to my shop. I'll do all the setup. I've done all that before. 
I've leaned heavily toward Sawstop, but I still want a cabinet saw and the least expensive option they have is almost $3000. I can get a new Grizzly for $1750 with a 240 V motor, 52" rip capacity and the Grizzly name which is pretty well regarded as well, just without the SS technology.. I don't plan on chopping off the ends of any fingers again any time soon..

I can understand that.  I got my start in my previous trade (flooring), at a friend of mine's cabinetry and casework shop.  I would help him build, finish, and install cabinetry and casework in fine homes.  I remember his original saw, an older one like you describe, perhaps a Delta, and he had a fantastic system of tables that he had built around it, to accommodate runs of various sizes of cuts.  Eventually, he moved on to a commercial model, and had a 3 stage electrical circuit installed, with the vacuum system throughout the shop, and all that stuff.  Now, he owns a factory that serves the greater half of the Eastern US, for institutional cabinetry.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We've thought about a factory to build low cost, well made furniture and skip the crap furniture so many places want to sell these days, but it gets kind of involved. I could still build quality knock down stuff as well and stay away from particle board trash. A huge problem right now is that the price of lumber has doubled in the past month alone.. More in some places, less in others, but it's jumped way up most everywhere. If I had the space I'd start buying only rough sawn lumber and process all of it myself, but that entails a huge investment in equipment as well like gang saws, large planers and drum sanders, etc..

Reply/Quote
I have 4 table saws, but I stick with the good old one handed down from my Grandfather. Smoothest and has the best,
cleanest motor. Just have to change the blades if they get dull at all. I have a couple of movable table saws to take to the
jobs and one more big one that I am going to move or sell. My movables are Ridgid, my other big fellas are so old they
don't have names on them, but they are the best I have ever used. Way better than any job table saw.

That is a cool vid on that one and hope you keep your fingers Gramps lol
Reply/Quote
I'd like to have at least two..One for everyday sawing, the other as a dedicated dado saw, but space is my problem not to mention I have my workbench in there taking up a considerable amount of space. I've been thinking about just rebuilding the bench to incorporate it as a dedicated outfeed table. It's 3.5" thick as is so I'm not too sure of exactly what to do with all that laminated pine if I do. It has inch and a half aprons as well, but the legs are solid tenon and mortised together, but it's not even close to flat anymore. I could cut it apart a bit and run two sides through the planer to flatten them and piece it back together which I'm thinking about doing. I just need to find the time to get it done when I get busy later this month.

Reply/Quote