Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm gonna get ripped for this lafffell hate.
He's signed for 2 years, right?

He's still a good receiver and still have some really good games for us. He should definitely stay for at least 1 year to make sure we have enough depth and talent so we aren't losing much when we have injuries.

And we're going to suffer some injuries, guys. It's not a good thing to have like AJ and a bunch of 1 year players and rookies behind them. That's not a successful game plan.
Reply/Quote
And i'm sitting here wondering why the need to draft 2 WR's because of
LaFell. (and Boyd and Core)

Reply/Quote
Ross and Malone will be upgrades at the position at some point, provided they stay healthy and develop as expected. Ross could earn more playing time sooner by virtue of being a 1st Round pick, but he'll have to earn it. Malone might have to work a bit harder to see as much playing time. LaFell is solid insurance as a vet, but he'll stay the #2 WR until Ross displaces him.

Green
LaFell
Boyd
Core
Ross
Malone
Erickson (?)

That's one hell of a depth chart at WR
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 11:18 AM)ochocincos Wrote: LaFell was a solid, consistent contributor last year and earned his contract this year. If the Bengals can find a replacement ST from their draft (likely Brandon Wilson) that can return kicks and punts about as well as Erickson, I think Erickson is gone. Core showed more promise than Erickson as a receiver. They would be worried about exposing Core or Malone to the PS. If LaFell is cut, it likely will come next year, not this year. This will be a good position group to watch through TC and preseason games.
Erickson was a beast in the return game. Hea an all pro returner in rookie year. Hes not leaving.
(04-30-2017, 02:12 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Don't pencil in Ross as a day 1 starter. I know we picked him in the top 10 and generally speaking a top 10 pick should be a day 1 starter for every position except maybe QB, but you have to go all the way back to Kevin to Zeitller to find a 1 round pick that started day 1 for the Bengals.

So LaFell was not a bad guy to keep around, at least for this year.

If you remember Marvin Jones took a year to work his way into the line up. Core has speed, but he didn't excite when he had a chance to get on the field last year.

The team definitely upgraded the speed at the WR spot his week end.
Well to be fair a lot of our first rounders are hurt/get hurt ala ogbuehi, wjiii, etc.
(04-30-2017, 04:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wanted to keep LaFell after drafting Ross...but after drafting Malone in the 4th, I think we're good.

I wouldn't mind keeping LaFell around for veteran depth (I DO NOT want LaFell starting over Ross), but I won't be upset if they decide to cut him, either.
This was me. Lafell would be a great 4th, but once we drafted malone......
(04-30-2017, 06:06 PM)pulses Wrote: Erickson will be gone !  Wilson can do the returns and we keep our most talented WR's. People act like Erickson is an all pro LOL
He is an all pro returner. Rookie year. Next devin hester.
(04-30-2017, 07:31 PM)J24 Wrote: We will probably go 7 at WR considering they always keep one for Gunner which will be core.
And where do we keep less players??
(05-01-2017, 12:18 AM)Shady Wrote: Ross and Malone will be upgrades at the position at some point, provided they stay healthy and develop as expected. Ross could earn more playing time sooner by virtue of being a 1st Round pick, but he'll have to earn it. Malone might have to work a bit harder to see as much playing time. LaFell is solid insurance as a vet, but he'll stay the #2 WR until Ross displaces him.

Green
LaFell
Boyd
Core
Ross
Malone
Erickson (?)

That's one hell of a depth chart at WR
What is our 53 gonna look like?? Me personally im perfectly fine only taking 4 lbs into game day. We have to make cuts ssomewhere. Dline wise atkins, hardison, billings, dunlap, johnson, clarke, 3 draft picks, gillberry, and ik im forgetting a few. We had to many draft picks. So maybe we go in with 1 less wr?? 2 less lb? Idk. As far as lafell, interesting that ourlads.com had ross as the slot starting wr with boyd at wr 4.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 01:02 AM)Jpoore Wrote: What is our 53 gonna look like?? Me personally im perfectly fine only taking 4 lbs into game day. We have to make cuts ssomewhere. Dline wise atkins, hardison, billings, dunlap, johnson, clarke, 3 draft picks, gillberry, and ik im forgetting a few. We had to many draft picks. So maybe we go in with 1 less wr?? 2 less lb? Idk. As far as lafell, interesting that ourlads.com had ross as the slot starting wr with boyd at wr 4.

I agree that cutting to 53 is going to be tough. I won't lose my mind if we cut LaFell. If Core and Malone both prove to be better than him, let him go. The competition will sort it out. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 05:48 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I said either him or Core, cause I cant see them keeping Core over Erickson at this point. But I wont argue he will be on the roster since he was a 4th rounder. If they thought so highly of Core, then why have drafted him in the first place.

If you believe Hobspin, he claims LaFell is going nowhere and the Bengals could keep 7 WRs. Reading between the lines though, it sounded like Core would be the one to go if they go with 6. 

(04-30-2017, 06:06 PM)pulses Wrote: Erickson will be gone !  Wilson can do the returns and we keep our most talented WR's. People act like Erickson is an all pro LOL

Not all-pro, but he did lead the AFC in KR average, so there's that.

He's not going anywhere.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'd pick Core to go...from the receivers we have...that or added to the practice squad.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
I think it's safe to say someone will get injured between now and the end of the season and probably before the first game.. Having this many guys ready to go just adds insurance. We don't know who will get injured, but I'd stake my lucky socks on it being someone nobody wants to be injured. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:03 AM)grampahol Wrote: I think it's safe to say someone will get injured between now and the end of the season and probably before the first game.. Having this many guys ready to go just adds insurance. We don't know who will get injured, but I'd stake my lucky socks on it being someone nobody wants to be injured. 

Yup, injuries will play a part in sorting this out and I've said it elsewhere, Ross has said he will miss the mini-camps but will be at training camp. It's not impossible to think of him starting the year on the PuP.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
The problem with free agency is you have to sign these players before the draft.

I'd much rather the draft come and then free agency is after that, as you'll have a much more developed idea of your needs after the draft and can sign free agents accordingly (you have relative control over who you sign in free agency, whereas the draft is all about how things fall for you.)

But I understand that's likely not great for the veterans, which is who the NFLPA are concerned about, for obvious reasons.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 07:53 PM)McC Wrote: God taught him.  He came out of the womb knowing.  Only God can make an AJ Green.   He's too good to be true, yet he couldn't be truer.  Grandkids will be told, "I watched AJ Green's career.  He was a one of a kind." 

With all due respect, there ain't shit Brandon LaFell could teach AJ.  That said, I'm sure he was great for the younger guys and the locker room in general.

I think the reasons he was brought here are he was a veteran and we needed a WR and he came from the Patriots and he didn't cost much.

Hey, I posted why LaFell was brought here. Then I linked a statement from the guy who brought him here about why he brought him here. If you guys still want to argue about why he was brought here, take it up with Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:06 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Some people just hated on LaFell so much when we signed him in '16 that they can not stand to admit they were wrong and the front office was right.

Not me, I wanted him gone after training camp and the pre season as bad as anyone here. I thought he was pretty much useless. He made a believer out of me, and I'm glad he proved me wrong.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: LaFell is here for several reasons, not the least of which to help Green and the rest learn to be pros. Not that Green is not one of the best in the league already, but he had no one to learn from when he got here....

This.  Lafell won the Bengal's coaches over last year with his professionalism and toughness.  The time he was in the training room and heard that there were essentially no WRs on the practice field, he suited up and went out to practice.  His broken thumb?  We never really heard about it after it happened.  That influence is a very positive one. 

He isn't going to beat anyone for an 80 yard bomb, but he is a savvy WR that knows how to work the soft spots of zone or to set up a defender and break open for a decent gain.  

I was not originally a big fan of his signing, but he was a very solid addition to this team and his attitude and leadership are outstanding.  

Remember, the Bengals felt very good about their TE position group going in to last year, and ALL of them were injured.  You can't have enough quality starters at the WR position.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 12:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think a lot of you are underestimating Malone.  He will be a very solid NFL WR.  He has all the raw skills.  UT's passing game has been about as advanced as a good high school team, and even though I love Josh Dobbs he was not a very accurate QB.  

Malone only had 54 catches, but he averaged over 19 yards per catch and had 11 tds.

As much as everyone appreciates his play on ST, I think Peerman is one on the chopping block due to the infusion of talent that should provide immediate dividends on ST.  Ditto Erickson.  Although I really like Erickson, it will be a lot tougher than beating out Brandon Tate. 
Reply/Quote
Bengals are very high on Core....he isn't going anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 08:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As much as everyone appreciates his play on ST, I think Peerman is one on the chopping block due to the infusion of talent that should provide immediate dividends on ST.  Ditto Erickson.  Although I really like Erickson, it will be a lot tougher than beating out Brandon Tate. 

I just can't see them cutting Erickson. As important as field position is in this game, I just don't see them cutting the AFC leading punt returner last year for an unproven rookie.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 01:02 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Erickson was a beast in the return game. Hea an all pro returner in rookie year. Hes not leaving.
Well to be fair a lot of our first rounders are hurt/get hurt ala ogbuehi, wjiii, etc.
This was me. Lafell would be a great 4th, but once we drafted malone......
He is an all pro returner. Rookie year. Next devin hester.
And where do we keep less players??
What is our 53 gonna look like?? Me personally im perfectly fine only taking 4 lbs into game day. We have to make cuts ssomewhere. Dline wise atkins, hardison, billings, dunlap, johnson, clarke, 3 draft picks, gillberry, and ik im forgetting a few. We had to many draft picks. So maybe we go in with 1 less wr?? 2 less lb? Idk. As far as lafell, interesting that ourlads.com had ross as the slot starting wr with boyd at wr 4.

You must not have read what I actually typed...
ochocincos Wrote:If the Bengals can find a replacement ST from their draft (likely Brandon Wilson) that can return kicks and punts about as well as Erickson, I think Erickson is gone.
So my point still should stand. If the Bengals can find a player that can return about as well as Erickson, Erickson could be gone because he's not as good of a WR as Core or LaFell.
If Alex Erickson is that much better than the other returners on the team, he likely stays and Core (or even LaFell) is gone.

Another option that might have a slight chance of happening if the Bengals continue to only use him sparingly is to cut Hewitt and go with 3 TEs and 7 WRs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 07:46 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Makes so much less sense now than before the draft. We now have Ross who should be expected to start day 1, and Malone who looks like a mj clone. Not to mention green, Boyd, core, Erickson, etc. just explain this to me?? Not really a rip on lafell as much as I don't wanna pay 5 million to a wr4/5.

It doesn't have to make sense to you. Before the weekend we had Green, Lafell, Boyd, Core, and Erickson. The need to resign Lafell was evident we only had 5 WR's and he just came off a good season for us. The draft is a crapshoot, no team outside of the first pick knows who will be available to them. If Ross was picked before us than we still only have 5 WR's. Ross still has concerns about his health and Malone is more than an MJ clone, he might not be as polished, but he has more athleticism. Lafell will be the starter this year until either Ross, Boyd, or Malone takes the job.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 09:11 AM)ochocincos Wrote: You must not have read what I actually typed...
So my point still should stand. If the Bengals can find a player that can return about as well as Erickson, Erickson could be gone because he's not as good of a WR as Core or LaFell.
If Alex Erickson is that much better than the other returners on the team, he likely stays and Core (or even LaFell) is gone.

Another option that might have a slight chance of happening if the Bengals continue to only use him sparingly is to cut Hewitt and go with 3 TEs and 7 WRs.

We also carried an extra QB in 2016 so if we cut Driskel or traded AJM it creates a 7th WR spot
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 10:15 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We also carried an extra QB in 2016 so if we cut Driskel or traded AJM it creates a 7th WR spot

My expectation for the offense would be:
QB: Dalton, McCarron
RB: Mixon, Bernard, Hill, Peerman/Wilson
TE: Eifert, Kroft, Uzomah
H-B: Hewitt
WR: Green, LaFell, Boyd, Ross, Malone, Core/Erickson
OL: Ogbuehi, Boling, Bodine, Smith, Fisher, Winston, Johnson, Westerman, Dielman
--------------------
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote