Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm looking into 4K TV
(04-03-2017, 07:11 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Yeah, I can see now that I really need to think this through before I spend a shit ton of money on something I won't be able to see a difference in.  

CNET reviews are pretty much my go-to for this stuff.  But the question that's still tough to answer is how much noticeably better, say, a 1080p set for $1400 is vs. another 1080p set for $800 (or, for that matter, the $2300 one I mentioned).  Like a few of us have said, in-store displays aren't a good indicator because of lots of tricks to make the more expensive sets stand out.

Beyond CNET, user reviews on Best Buy and Amazon probably give you a decent perspective on whether or not you'd be happy with an $800 tv.  TV's are kind of a commodity now, and I doubt you'd be dissatisfied with a highly rated $800 model.  Vizio, which used to be a worse-than-budget brand, now apparently makes several well-regarded models.  But at 50", I doubt you do better than $700-$800.

Don't know if you have a surround system, but your overall experience might be better to save some money on the tv and put it towards audio.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2017, 07:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Kind of on the subject, but take the in store view with a grain of salt. I have been told by reliable sources that they will give the better feed to the more expensive TVs, so the picture looks better. Just read lots and lots of reviews and buy the best value.

they also max out the setting at the store using "display" mode...  which will burn your TV out faster if you use those setting at home
Reply/Quote