Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of car(s).........
(04-05-2017, 08:52 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: ....do you own?  We have a 2015 Toyota Camry SE, and my junky 2003 KIA Sportage.

2002 mazda protégé
2003 hyundai elantra

Both broke a belt on valentines day

mazda has some issue but need to take the engine apart just to identify what needs fix so I'm letting it ride.

Both around 190k
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 11:35 AM)Au165 Wrote: They don't make Honda's as well anymore. My mom had a 2001 accord that I ended up driving over 200k miles. She then got a civic that the transmission went to crap within 60k miles. I bought a 2011 accord new and have had all sorts of minor annoyance issues. Look up the flaw in their 4 cylinder engines VTC actuators. Basically their design flaw causes it to fail and there is nothing you can really do. You can get it repaired but it can fail again, Honda refuses to acknowledge it as a design flaw which is laughable.

I will not be buying a Honda for my next car.

Well....I did not know that....that's a shame.  Is that a cam chain tensioner issue?  VW and Ford had similar issues too.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
2013 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

650 horsepower, All-wheel drive

[Image: 2013-hyundai-elantra-gt-inline-3-photo-4...iginal.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 12:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 2013 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

I always took you to be the Cadillac Escalade type of lawyer.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 12:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 2013 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

You have the SEMA rallye edition concept?

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 12:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well....I did not know that....that's a shame.  Is that a cam chain tensioner issue?  VW and Ford had similar issues too.

Yep pretty much. It creates a rattle at start up that is loud and annoying, but Honda claims is causes no engine damage. I have had it for close to 70k miles now and doesn't seem to be doing anything bad, but it appears it has been a known issue since 2008 on various 4 cylinder motors and Honda has never fixed it. The lack of transparency about this issue and the fact they continue to put a defective design on the road almost 10 years later makes me not want to do business with them anymore.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 02:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yep pretty much. It creates a rattle at start up that is loud and annoying, but Honda claims is causes no engine damage. I have had it for close to 70k miles now and doesn't seem to be doing anything bad, but it appears it has been a known issue since 2008 on various 4 cylinder motors and Honda has never fixed it. The lack of transparency about this issue and the fact they continue to put a defective design on the road almost 10 years later makes me not want to do business with them anymore.

I hear you on that.  It won't do anything too bad, so long as it doesn't totally fail and sling the cam chain off.  What you are hearing most likely is the cam chain slapping the bottom side of the valve cover....at least that's what I found on my old VW.  Once the oil pressure rises, the actuated tensioner spreads open as it's designed and puts proper tension on the cam chain. The 1.8 turbo that VW used in the early 2000s would do this, but only at a warm idle. Under load, or with colder, thicker oil, it would smooth right out.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 02:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: I hear you on that.  It won't do anything too bad, so long as it doesn't totally fail and sling the cam chain off.  What you are hearing most likely is the cam chain slapping the bottom side of the valve cover....at least that's what I found on my old VW.  Once the oil pressure rises, the actuated tensioner spreads open as it's designed and puts proper tension on the cam chain.  The 1.8 turbo that VW used in the early 2000s would do this, but only at a warm idle.  Under load, or with colder, thicker oil, it would smooth right out.

I think I am about to sell it and get the new Alfa Romeo Giulia.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 03:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think I am about to sell it and get the new Alfa Romeo Giulia.

I haven't heard much on reliability on the newer Alfas, but they sure look nice! :andy:

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 09:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: I haven't heard much on reliability on the newer Alfas, but they sure look nice! :andy:

Yea I am letting the first round get out there and see what the response is. The reviews up to now have all been pretty good.
Reply/Quote