Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm no Dalton Homer, but this OL is epic bad
The combination of Taylor's scheme, Turner's coaching and bad front office foresight has put Andy in a position where he has to be looking down field and dodging free rushers at the same time. It's just not a winning combination.

Turner's head should be on the pike.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 09:19 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The combination of Taylor's scheme, Turner's coaching and bad front office foresight has put Andy in a position where he has to be looking down field and dodging free rushers at the same time. It's just not a winning combination.

Turner's head should be on the pike.

Why do fans think a coach should be able to turn turds into caviar?

This line is nothing like they envisioned in June. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Last year's OL, we were the worst ever!

This year's OL, hold our beers and watch this..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Yes, this OL is bad. That’s certain. Our coaches must figure out how to win with that line. Don’t plan they will get better but plan the game plan knowing they won’t. That’s the right approach.

Reply/Quote
There are play calls to work around a bad Oline.
Short passes, rolls outs, misdirection, draw plays.
It's done every day in the NFL.

My question is why aren't those calls being made by the coaches?
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 09:14 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: There are play calls to work around a bad Oline.

Me thinks it's still a learning curve with ZT. When you practice things all week effectively and then in a game they fail to execute, I think it's hard for an inexperienced coach to move away from it. In his mind, he's trying to stick with what works but is not working? Hopefully they are working more this week on your suggestions to effectively execute a good game plan to compensate for that OL.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 09:14 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: There are play calls to work around a bad Oline.

This. I'm not even close to regretting the Taylor hire (yet), but I want this answered at least. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Exactly. Why keep trying to force a square peg into a round hole?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 10:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Why do fans think a coach should be able to turn turds into caviar?

This line is nothing like they envisioned in June. 

Well, if they were that bad why didn't the front office sign some better guys for them to win with?

They drafted Williams injured, so in June they knew he'd be out.

Glenn's injury has been long, but he hasn't completed 16 games in a season in some years, so you'd have to expect issues there.

I'm pretty sure they knew Boling had something serious as they weren't even counting on him starting, since the penciled Glenn in at LG back in May I believe.

Reply/Quote
I know the Redskins are winless right now, but how has their offensive line looked? Is Bill Callahan in his last year under contract there?

If anyone is a prime candidate for a one-and-done year, it's Jim Turner.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
The problem I see is that the two LT they had are both out. When that happened instead of spending big money on another LT the team decided to try to use what they have until one of their LT can play. This isn't a long term solution and I'm sure ZT and Turner both expected Glenn to return by the 2nd or 3rd game of the season but that didn't happen. Instead his injury has lasted through 5 games with another this weekend.

With that said they have used Smith, a RT by trade since entering the NFL with the Bengals ten years ago. He played LT in college but that was 10 years ago and played against different level of competition. That is a bad situation for Smith and the Bengals. Add to it he is now hurt and they are using Jerry that seems to be playing decent but he isn't a LT by trade either. They are also using Redmond.

Since this is part of the forums about Dalton he knows this and he has to play against a DL that knows the LT are not true NFL ready LT. This impacts Dalton's mental aspect of the game and is why he is playing bad, worst than normal.

I'm blaming Callahan and Van Pelt for the offense issues as they should see Dalton struggles and should be working with him to get back into stepping up in the pocket regardless who is the LT.

I'm hoping this weekend OL plays good enough for Dalton to get pass his mental block and step up and help the Bengals get their first W against a better team in the Ravens. It would help build up the confidence of the team and help them build momentum the rest of the season. If Dalton cannot get back into stepping up in the pocket it is time for Callahan to meet with ZT and say, we need to bench Dalton and here is why.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2019, 11:24 AM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: The problem I see is that the two LT they had are both out. When that happened instead of spending big money on another LT the team decided to try to use what they have until one of their LT can play. This isn't a long term solution and I'm sure ZT and Turner both expected Glenn to return by the 2nd or 3rd game of the season but that didn't happen. Instead his injury has lasted through 5 games with another this weekend.

With that said they have used Smith, a RT by trade since entering the NFL with the Bengals ten years ago. He played LT in college but that was 10 years ago and played against different level of competition. That is a bad situation for Smith and the Bengals. Add to it he is now hurt and they are using Jerry that seems to be playing decent but he isn't a LT by trade either. They are also using Redmond.

Since this is part of the forums about Dalton he knows this and he has to play against a DL that knows the LT are not true NFL ready LT. This impacts Dalton's mental aspect of the game and is why he is playing bad, worst than normal.

I'm blaming Callahan and Van Pelt for the offense issues as they should see Dalton struggles and should be working with him to get back into stepping up in the pocket regardless who is the LT.

I'm hoping this weekend OL plays good enough for Dalton to get pass his mental block and step up and help the Bengals get their first W against a better team in the Ravens. It would help build up the confidence of the team and help them build momentum the rest of the season. If Dalton cannot get back into stepping up in the pocket it is time for Callahan to meet with ZT and say, we need to bench Dalton and here is why.

Great post.....a WHOLE LOTTA truth here.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 11:28 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yes, this OL is bad. That’s certain. Our coaches must figure out how to win with that line. Don’t plan they will get better but plan the game plan knowing they won’t. That’s the right approach.

Got to get rid of the ball fast.  A little 5 t0 7 yard slant over the middle is very effective
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 10:34 PM)swilson3828 Wrote: Got to get rid of the ball fast.  A little 5 t0 7 yard slant over the middle is very effective

It certainly is but that rarely works against a team with lightning fast linebackers like the Ravens.
Reply/Quote