Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm ready for baseball
It'll be awhile before we get to see Burrow under center, but there's a lot of baseball between now and September.
I don't know how well the Reds may perform this upcoming season, but I seriously doubt they come out in an all around hitting funk like last season to start off. I think the starting pitching will be really good, the bullpen good to average, but I have to feel hitting will improve quite a bit with the additions of Akiyama, Mark Payton and of course Moustakas. I think Payton is gonna be a legit top of the lineup hitter despite his 30 HRs in AAA last year, but a lot of guys in AAA were bombing them out. He's got a .289 lifetime BA. We shall see. I don't necessarily expect to see HRs by the trainload from Aquino, but you never really know. Ideally Votto has a great bounceback, Akiyama gets on base a LOT and Payton finds a spot out there and gets on base for both Mouse, Suarez and even Aquino. All those would do my heart good.. 
Payton's worse stretch I could find was 56 games in Trenton with the yankees system, but no biggie. I like the kids potential. The problem is he's 28 and was a rule 5 pick so if he doesn't stick with the team this year he's back with the A's..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 01:17 AM)grampahol Wrote: It'll be awhile before we get to see Burrow under center, but there's a lot of baseball between now and September.
I don't know how well the Reds may perform this upcoming season, but I seriously doubt they come out in an all around hitting funk like last season to start off. I think the starting pitching will be really good, the bullpen good to average, but I have to feel hitting will improve quite a bit with the additions of Akiyama, Mark Payton and of course Moustakas. I think Payton is gonna be a legit top of the lineup hitter despite his 30 HRs in AAA last year, but a lot of guys in AAA were bombing them out. He's got a .289 lifetime BA. We shall see. I don't necessarily expect to see HRs by the trainload from Aquino, but you never really know. Ideally Votto has a great bounceback, Akiyama gets on base a LOT and Payton finds a spot out there and gets on base for both Mouse, Suarez and even Aquino. All those would do my heart good.. 
Payton's worse stretch I could find was 56 games in Trenton with the yankees system, but no biggie. I like the kids potential. The problem is he's 28 and was a rule 5 pick so if he doesn't stick with the team this year he's back with the A's..  
Amen! Play Ball! You seem to have high hopes for Payton. I think the initial plan is probably as a backup and a pinch hitter. He might be used as 150-250 AB guy. I’m guessing that he would be used as a 6 or 7 hitter when he spot starts. That’s just speculation on my part.
Reply/Quote
I have high hopes for every Reds player. That usually never works out, but heck..I even hoped Homer Baily had another No-hitter in him last year before getting traded.. Hilarious

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
But why? I can' tell if MLB has more cheaters than NFL, and MLB is a purported sport! Seems like cheating is rampant, bending the rules are rampant, and that's why the Bengals suck.
Reply/Quote
I'm just hoping to see a competitive team this season, one that's not 15+ games out by mid August. It's been quite awhile now since we've had much to get excited about post all star break, it's time.

We went from our standard 66.5 wins for like 5 years in a row to 75 last season. I want to see an even bigger jump this season, 90 !
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 10:57 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: But why? I can' tell if MLB has more cheaters than NFL, and MLB is a purported sport! Seems like cheating is rampant, bending the rules are rampant, and that's why the Bengals suck.

Cheaters never prosper except in sports and politics and religion and business and..... where they become gazillionaires. I'm almost surprised every first grader isn't taught that cheating is the only way to pass a pop quiz to make it to second grade. Whatever
That's right kiddies.. Learn to cut everyone else's throats or you'll never graduate to Jr High!

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 11:43 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm just hoping to see a competitive team this season, one that's not 15+ games out by mid August. It's been quite awhile now since we've had much to get excited about post all star break, it's time.

We went from our standard 66.5 wins for like 5 years in a row to 75 last season. I want to see an even bigger jump this season, 90 !

I think they’re probably about an 80-85 Win team as currently constructed. 1 more big add could put them in the playoff hunt. That’s assuming that the manager and the closer don’t throw away as many games as they did last year.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 06:00 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I think they’re probably about an 80-85 Win team as currently constructed. 1 more big add could put them in the playoff hunt. That’s assuming that the manager and the closer don’t throw away as many games as they did last yea

After not landing Ozuna, there are now reports saying they may be close to a deal with Castellanos.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 06:00 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I think they’re probably about an 80-85 Win team as currently constructed. 1 more big add could put them in the playoff hunt. That’s assuming that the manager and the closer don’t throw away as many games as they did last year.

Well I'm planning on Aquino becoming a bona-fide star and Votto remembering how to drive in runs.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 06:15 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: After not landing Ozuna, there are now reports saying they may be close to a deal with Castellanos.

I heard that. I’d probably take 85-90 Wins if they sign him.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 07:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Well I'm planning on Aquino becoming a bona-fide star and Votto remembering how to drive in runs.

Aquino better tear it up in spring training if they sign Castellanos. That signing will probably signal a trade from the large pool of outfielders.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 11:50 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Aquino better tear it up in spring training if they sign Castellanos. That signing will probably signal a trade from the large pool of outfielders.

Possibly, but Aquino still has minor league options and Castellanos can opt out after one year, and in GAPB you have to imagine his numbers will be crazy.

Let's the Reds compete while having a guy possibly waiting in the wings to be ready.

Or... Senzel, Winker, Ervin or Aquino or a combination of them is getting traded.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I don't think The Punisher is going anywhere. Without a big trade, Senzel will probably stay. I think his name is tossed around because Cleveland was asking about him in the Lindor talks far more than the Reds were offering him up to anybody. They've been hyping his arrival for years and to give him one injury shortened season then ship him out doesn't make sense.

Until the opening of the season, Winker, Ervin and VanMeter are going to be tossed around in trade talks and rumors a lot and my guess is still upgrading the bullpen.

I am more comfortable with Galvis at SS and Barnhart/Casali at C than I am with most of the bullpen.

Anyway, great signing with Castellanos. 90 plus wins . . . if Bell can stay out of the way.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 03:53 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Possibly, but Aquino still has minor league options and Castellanos can opt out after one year, and in GAPB you have to imagine his numbers will be crazy.

Let's the Reds compete while having a guy possibly waiting in the wings to be ready.

Or... Senzel, Winker, Ervin or Aquino or a combination of them is getting traded.

It probably is smart to hold onto most of these guys with the length of the Cas contract being a big question mark. Maybe trade Ervin for a solid reliever.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 06:37 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I don't think The Punisher is going anywhere. Without a big trade, Senzel will probably stay. I think his name is tossed around because Cleveland was asking about him in the Lindor talks far more than the Reds were offering him up to anybody. They've been hyping his arrival for years and to give him one injury shortened season then ship him out doesn't make sense.

Until the opening of the season, Winker, Ervin and VanMeter are going to be tossed around in trade talks and rumors a lot and my guess is still upgrading the bullpen.

I am more comfortable with Galvis at SS and Barnhart/Casali at C than I am with most of the bullpen.

Anyway, great signing with Castellanos. 90 plus wins . . . if Bell can stay out of the way.

Galvis will play adequate defense and hit 20 HRs, he just won’t get on base much. He sounds like the 7th place hitter. The catching combo won’t be great but won’t be pathetic. If one gets hurt or is pathetic, Stephenson is nearly ready for his shot. This 2 spots aren’t horrendous, just not strong points. Both spots should put up positive WAR numbers. The Defense on this team could be really bad. There’s 4 or 5 positions that will probably have below average fielders. The hitters better mash!
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 05:03 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Galvis will play adequate defense and hit 20 HRs, he just won’t get on base much. He sounds like the 7th place hitter. The catching combo won’t be great but won’t be pathetic. If one gets hurt or is pathetic, Stephenson is nearly ready for his shot. This 2 spots aren’t horrendous, just not strong points. Both spots should  put up positive WAR numbers. The Defense on this team could be really bad. There’s 4 or 5 positions that will probably have below average fielders. The hitters better mash!

I don't know..The D isn't as bad as some think. Yakiama is solid as is Aquino in rf. Votto has his ups and downs, but he's far from terrible. Suarez is solid and so is Barnhart behind the plate. My concern is middle infield and lf.. if Moostakas and Galvis defend above average they're in decent shape. Castellanos seems to be the only real question mark at this point. Winker is a defensive liability.   There's still talk about Schebler making RF out of ST..Last year for him was terrible, but nobody knows how he might perform this year. 

Reply/Quote
My prediction this time of the season: Throw out any of my predictions right now and save yourself all the aggravation of even thinking about any of my predictions. ThumbsUp See? I told ya about my prediction savantness. What you do with it is entirely up to you.

Reply/Quote
Just two little, long, agonizing weeks to go before the first spring training game gets underway and a month and a half till the regular season with the Cards @ GABP..begins March 26 @ 4:10PM..
Maybe by the time the Reds win the WS this season Joe Burrow will be a mere after thought.
Well, I can dream anyway. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote