Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm terrified of injuries
I think that most of us agree that we'd like to see upgrades at CB2 and RG, but that we are comfortable with the other starters. However, with the arguable exception of Perine backing up Mixon, I'm more comfortable with Adeniji backing up Carman and Tre Flowers backing up Apple than any other position on the field. Am I wrong? What backups have I slandered? Are any likely to make major strides this season?
Reply/Quote
As a general rule you just don't have great depth in the NFL. Oh teams luck out now and again and have a couple good drafts and have some success with the next man up. But more often than not of you get unlucky and have a bunch of injuries you're screwed.

Having said all of that our depth at Oline is worrisome. I'm not crazy about the guys behind the big 3 WR's. I'd like to get another CB in here.

But It's pretty much always gonna be a worry.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Most people forget that this time last the durability of Joe Mixon and Jonah Williams were two of the biggest concerns of Bengal fans. Especially Williams. He was looking like another first round failure on the O-line.

Injuries will happen and very few teams have great depth. We still have the draft, and I feel that we are not done in free agency either. I think we might be waiting to see who gets released after the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2022, 09:20 PM)puddycat Wrote: I think that most of us agree that we'd like to see upgrades at CB2 and RG, but that we are comfortable with the other starters.  However, with the arguable exception of Perine backing up Mixon, I'm more comfortable with Adeniji backing up Carman and Tre Flowers backing up Apple than any other position on the field.  Am I wrong? What backups have I slandered?  Are any likely to make major strides this season?
They will address the OL somewhere in the draft and if what Tobin said is true and they plan on keeping Adeniji at Guard. Might be a good chance that draft pick allows them to cut Adeniji. Trey Flowers is more suited covering TE's and the role we have for him. He can play CB on the outside in a pinch but he definitely doesn't have the speed to stay there. They definitely need to double dip at CB and would be nice if one of them could potentially play safety too.
Reply/Quote
I'm FAR MORE terrified about me getting injured than any Bengals player..I'm 63 with a bad heart, plenty of arthritis and nerve damage. Injuries to me might kill me.. Those guys are kids in comparison and in a hell of a lot better shape than I've ever been in AND they are paid enough money that even if they have their leg amputated they will still do OK financially..  Plus they have access to some great doctors with mad surgical skills. They'll do OK..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2022, 09:20 PM)puddycat Wrote: I think that most of us agree that we'd like to see upgrades at CB2 and RG, but that we are comfortable with the other starters.  However, with the arguable exception of Perine backing up Mixon, I'm more comfortable with Adeniji backing up Carman and Tre Flowers backing up Apple than any other position on the field.  Am I wrong? What backups have I slandered?  Are any likely to make major strides this season?

Do you mean LG?
RG is set with Cappa.

But overall, yes this team is going to be highly reliant on their starters staying healthy, as the depth is not good.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Injuries are always going to be a concern. Very few teams if any have enough depth to deal with a significant amount of injuries and still succeed. That's especially true if those injuries happen to a few star players.

But as stated above the Bengals still have the draft to add some depth. Plus free agency isn't really over. There will be some players after the draft and training camps cut that might be able to add some depth.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Injuries are going to devastate every team. The Bengals were very fortunate with injuries last season and it helped propel them to the Super Bowl. Most teams don't have the depth necessary to sustain major losses.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 10:52 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Injuries are going to devastate every team. The Bengals were very fortunate with injuries last season and it helped propel them to the Super Bowl. Most teams don't have the depth necessary to sustain major losses.

Yep, it's just the way the sport is. Making runs is as much about being lucky as good as there is very little predictability to injuries and no one is prepared to handle devastating injuries to their anchors really. 
Reply/Quote
It kind of relates to draft philosophy too. Do you try to draft for position to make sure you are aren't deficient in your starters/backups, or do you look for that exciting/dynamic player who might end up as a probowler but is at a position you're already well stocked at?

For instance, I think most of us (myself included) would be frustrated with a rd 2 or 3 running back or WR. We have needs for depth on the offensive line and corner (not to mention our defensive front 7). But if the player is there who will change the team for the better, you take 'em.

I guess what I'm saying is, you have to have faith that your depth will be filled out well enough by undrafted players/low price free agents. I know that is a tough tough tough sell after backup offensive linemen didn't get it done in the Superbowl, but it hasn't stopped being true. If we can make the team better, even in an area we are "stocked" in, that is what will get us back to the big game and get us over the top.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2022, 10:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: As a general rule you just don't have great depth in the NFL. Oh teams luck out now and again and have a couple good drafts and have some success with the next man up. But more often than not of you get unlucky and have a bunch of injuries you're screwed.

Having said all of that our depth at Oline is worrisome. I'm not crazy about the guys behind the big 3 WR's. I'd like to get another CB in here.

But It's pretty much always gonna be a worry.

OL is the least concern. We went to the SB with a bunch of no names and guys that should not be starters or weren't ready to be. Add in the 3 guys we signed as FA's and you bumped several of last years starters and guys that played alot to the bench. You have players with lots of reps that if called upon have already been thru two intense playoff road games and a SB.

Most teams in this league don't have great depth. Great teams can lose 1-2 starters and whatever strengths that had can become vulnerable. I also expect the guys that played extensively on the OL to come back stronger, in better shape and eager to play. Certainly nice to have had a taste of the success from a year ago.
Reply/Quote