Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I must be doing something right...
(03-19-2017, 08:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If you're going in with an established party, this is absolutely the case. For a city council race, the city chair is the gatekeeper.

Vielen dank.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(03-19-2017, 08:15 PM)xxlt Wrote: Down in Kentucky they gave the Newport economy a boost with a red light district for decades. Maybe that would work better than a red cup district?

Seriously though, it sounds like so many towns throughout Appalachia and the foothills thereof. It fills me with a sense of shame that America doesn't work for so many people in so many towns like yours. And it also fills me with memories of passing through so many towns like yours and often meeting delightful people in restaurants, movie theaters, bowling alleys, and taverns. Those fond memories of good people and good times then roll right back into the shame that our country isn't working for so many... the idea that we could leave a better world for our children and grandchildren seems to be on life supports, if not to have died.

I'm excited for you that you got the invite to run for office. If you don't do it, I hope you find another way to engage "the system" for your fellow citizens. They need good people working for them. And until some come along, a deranged lunatic like you will spice up Coshocton city hall. Ninja

Thanks !
That's mighty kind of you.
I'm still forming the Libertarian Affiliate, regardless.
Heck, I'm going to Columbus on Tuesday to join Ohio's Libertarian Central Committee, in helping to validate petition signatures.
The petition is to have the Libertarian Party recognized in Ohio, AGAIN !
Apparently the Democrats and Republicans colluded (but mainly Republicans) to have the party removed from the recognized list, also removing them from receiving funds from donations on tax returns, etc..
I've also been trying to coordinate with other county affiliates to join forces in supporting candidates, in larger numbers.

So, I've been doing some "stuff".
ThumbsUp

(03-19-2017, 08:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have to say, even though I know we often get frustrated with each other around these parts, I'm surprised we haven't heard about more involvement in this sort of thing from our P&R regulars. Being engaged in the issues and paying attention to them is really the most important thing.

I agree.
There's good people here.
I should get to meet Nicholas Sarwark (Chairman of the Libertarian National Committee) in May, if I go to the Ohio Conference.
If I knew more of you personally, I'd have him recruit you all.
Soooo... gimme some digits !
Yes
(03-19-2017, 08:47 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I agree.
There's good people here.
I should get to meet Nicholas Sarwark (Chairman of the Libertarian National Committee) in May, if I go to the Ohio Conference.
If I knew more of you personally, I'd have him recruit you all.
Soooo... gimme some digits !
Yes

I'm the guy that makes the trains run on time, not the guy who makes the schedule.

I focus my efforts on the administrative side. I have my policy areas and can help out elected officials on those sorts of things based on my knowledge/expertise, but I'm a bureaucrat. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-19-2017, 08:25 PM)xxlt Wrote: On that point... a few years ago I was chatting with a fellow who knew quite a bit about national, state, and local politics. He would advise you to have lunch with your party precinct chair and county chair (probably separately but perhaps together). According to that chap these people will "know everyone" that you are going to want and need to know. So, there's something to consider...

Good Stuff !
I've been making my rounds and started going to all the City Council meetings.

(03-19-2017, 08:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If you're going in with an established party, this is absolutely the case. For a city council race, the city chair is the gatekeeper.

I am still registered Republican, but I wouldn't be running as such.
I will be the acting county chair for the Libertarian Party, until the formalities are completed, affiliate approved by national, formal vote for committee, form and adopt bylaws, and have the committee and bylaws approved by national.

I assume you were speaking of the party chair.
(03-19-2017, 09:08 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I am still registered Republican, but I wouldn't be running as such.
I will be the acting county chair for the Libertarian Party, until the formalities are completed, affiliate approved by national, formal vote for committee, form and adopt bylaws, and have the committee and bylaws approved by national.

I assume you were speaking of the party chair.

Yeah, party chair for the city.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-19-2017, 08:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm the guy that makes the trains run on time, not the guy who makes the schedule.

I focus my efforts on the administrative side. I have my policy areas and can help out elected officials on those sorts of things based on my knowledge/expertise, but I'm a bureaucrat. LOL

If anyone besides me and Rotobeast wanders into this thread and sees that admission you can expect death threats.

Really.

You have been warned.

Wink
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(03-18-2017, 10:34 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: My ego will never be the same....
I was asked to run for City Council, by a City Council member.
I'm not sure if I will or not, yet.
I need to see if the correct district seat comes up, or an at large seat.

If I win and piss them off, I'm blaming you guys and pointing them here.
Tongue

Anyone here have experience in local government ?

make sure  you know what the definition of "is" is
People suck
(03-20-2017, 12:51 PM)xxlt Wrote: If anyone besides me and Rotobeast wanders into this thread and sees that admission you can expect death threats.

Really.

You have been warned.

Wink

I wear it proudly, I'm taking it back! LOL

In all seriousness, I know it carries negative connotations. But bureaucracy is a natural part of organizational life. Yeah, there are differences between today's reality and the description Weber gave us, but that's part of the evolution of the field of public administration.

Besides, you can just call me Hermes Conrad.

(03-20-2017, 01:40 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I wear it proudly, I'm taking it back! LOL

In all seriousness, I know it carries negative connotations. But bureaucracy is a natural part of organizational life. Yeah, there are differences between today's reality and the description Weber gave us, but that's part of the evolution of the field of public administration.

Besides, you can just call me Hermes Conrad.

Well you're just a regular porch monkey aren't you?

(Again, admission of same could precipitate death threats. I don't care. I'm with you!)

[Image: 8Enycn1.jpg]
(03-19-2017, 01:09 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I guess it could be mentioned that the factory I work at produces 95% of Oscar Mayer bacon.
That's gotta be cool, right ?

Oscar Meyer is owned by the largest food producing corporation on earth.  KraftHeinz should be able to sponsor a "Bacon Festival" in Coshocton.

Those type of festivals can bring in some tax dollars.  There would be a beauty paegent to crown "Miss Bacon".  Local artisans could have booths where people try bacon flavored ice cream, or bacon wine, or sex with a life size statue of Dale Jr. made out of bacon. 

All joking aside.  If they produce that much bacon in your plant they can afford to give a little back to the community.  And EVERYONE loves bacon.  The annual Coshocton Bacon Fest could be a big hit.
(03-20-2017, 06:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Oscar Meyer is owned by the largest food producing corporation on earth.  KraftHeinz should be able to sponsor a "Bacon Festival" in Coshocton.

Those type of festivals can bring in some tax dollars.  There would be a beauty paegent to crown "Miss Bacon".  Local artisans could have booths where people try bacon flavored ice cream, or bacon wine, or sex with a life size statue of Dale Jr. made out of bacon. 

All joking aside.  If they produce that much bacon in your plant they can afford to give a little back to the community.  And EVERYONE loves bacon.  The annual Coshocton Bacon Fest could be a big hit.
Thank you, Fred !
We are actually working on building that.
My factory isn't building it, but provides bacon for the festival.
Another friend of mine (also city council member) put the festival on 2 years ago, had to skip the next year (family illness), and returned to putting it on again, this past year.
I humbly volunteered to work in the beer garden.

It will take a few years to build it up, but shouldn't take long with the amounts produced by my plant.

I will have to invite you all to the next one, which will be right before election season.
Soooo.... odd update...

I don't think I'd even have to run.
My friend from City Council, more or less, implied he wanted to take his place, were he to vacate his position early.
Apparently Council can appoint replacements in such an event.
I was nearly speechless, but remained cool.
He said he wanted the seat to be in good hands.
I nearly shed a tear.
I'm not sure quite how to feel.
I'm honored, of course.
It's just odd to consider the idea of a man that has done this public service for so many years to pretty much suggest handing it to a novice like me.
It's an "At Large" seat, as well.
I'm floored.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(03-23-2017, 01:49 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Soooo.... odd update...

My friend from City Council, more or less, implied he wanted to take his place, were he to vacate his position early.
I nearly shed a tear.
I'm honored, of course.
It's just odd to consider the idea of a man that has done this public service for so many years to pretty much suggest handing it to a novice like me.
I'm floored.

Lots of Russian money to be had if you put an R next to your name, suck up to Trump, and turn your back on your country.
(03-23-2017, 01:49 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Soooo.... odd update...

I nearly shed a tear.
I'm honored, of course.
I'm floored.

This could be good in the sense that it gives you more time to explore your alliances and learn about what you actually need to do in the role as opposed to all the "busy" work of campaigning. It could also be a hornets nest - hate to say that but just trying to be realistic. Why is this guy leaving? Is the council a cluster? Try to find out as much as you can from everyone you can to protect your reputation and your sanity.
(03-23-2017, 02:22 AM)xxlt Wrote: This could be good in the sense that it gives you more time to explore your alliances and learn about what you actually need to do in the role as opposed to all the "busy" work of campaigning. It could also be a hornets nest - hate to say that but just trying to be realistic. Why is this guy leaving? Is the council a cluster? Try to find out as much as you can from everyone you can to protect your reputation and your sanity.

He has a new girlfriend that resides near Cincy and his current day job is not what he wants, not to mention his salary went to hourly and he's lost money.
He's also tried of seeing his ex-wife (who left him for a woman) out with his friends.
I think that Council is the only thing anchoring here.

The rest of Council are well respected members of the community.
I am unaware of any issues, but I will question my other friend about the current state.
I'm also attending Council meetings, every week.
I'm mainly interested in learning how everything works, in local government.

Funny about Nati bringing up an "R" next to my name.
I am a registered Republican, as the Libertarian Party is not recognized in Ohio currently (working on that).
It is that reason that I may be able to be "plugged in" to the position, as a Republican will be vacating.
At least I'm assuming that is why he asked if I were a registered Republican.
Yes, he knows I'm a Libertarian.
(03-23-2017, 02:49 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: He has a new girlfriend that resides near Cincy and his current day job is not what he wants, not to mention his salary went to hourly and he's lost money.
He's also tried of seeing his ex-wife (who left him for a woman) out with his friends.
I think that Council is the only thing anchoring here.

The rest of Council are well respected members of the community.
I am unaware of any issues, but I will question my other friend about the current state.
I'm also attending Council meetings, every week.
I'm mainly interested in learning how everything works, in local government.

Funny about Nati bringing up an "R" next to my name.
I am a registered Republican, as the Libertarian Party is not recognized in Ohio currently  (working on that).
It is that reason that I may be able to be "plugged in" to the position, as a Republican will be vacating.
At least I'm assuming that is why he asked if I were a registered Republican.
Yes, he knows I'm a Libertarian.

Labels can be as harmful as they are helpful, and I imagine you know that. As far that "L" brand, there are some really good tenets in the ideology but it seems at the national level that people who were too crazy and extreme for the right wing of the most right wing party we have ever seen in America jumped to the "L" train. This was not a development I was happy to see.

Obviously you may have a different take, but I would be wary of "leaders" in that party, particularly at the national level. Of course, my views align more with people who represent the left wing of our left party, people like Howard Dean and Bernie Sanders (who though an independent has been the most authentically Democratic voice of the last 50 years). Our Democratic Party at the national level has been pulled far right of center so we don't really have a liberal or democratic party at the national level - we have the Republican Party of the 1970's renamed the Democratic Party. The Republican Party at the national level has been flirting with fascism for the better part of the last 30 years. The Libertarian Party at the national level became a hideout for people who thought the Republican Party wasn't right wing enough for the last 30 years. That's the unsolicited view of your half crazy brother from another mother. Wink  Keep reading about Libertarian ideas, as well as the ideas of all great political leaders from Lincoln to Roosevelt to Eisenhower etc. ... and keep talking to people of all stripes. I wish you success on this journey.
(03-23-2017, 03:24 AM)xxlt Wrote: Labels can be as harmful as they are helpful, and I imagine you know that. As far that "L" brand, there are some really good tenets in the ideology but it seems at the national level that people who were too crazy and extreme for the right wing of the most right wing party we have ever seen in America jumped to the "L" train. This was not a development I was happy to see.

Obviously you may have a different take, but I would be wary of "leaders" in that party, particularly at the national level. Of course, my views align more with people who represent the left wing of our left party, people like Howard Dean and Bernie Sanders (who though an independent has been the most authentically Democratic voice of the last 50 years). Our Democratic Party at the national level has been pulled far right of center so we don't really have a liberal or democratic party at the national level - we have the Republican Party of the 1970's renamed the Democratic Party. The Republican Party at the national level has been flirting with fascism for the better part of the last 30 years. The Libertarian Party at the national level became a hideout for people who thought the Republican Party wasn't right wing enough for the last 30 years. That's the unsolicited view of your half crazy brother from another mother. Wink  Keep reading about Libertarian ideas, as well as the ideas of all great political leaders from Lincoln to Roosevelt to Eisenhower etc. ... and keep talking to people of all stripes. I wish you success on this journey.

Thank you !
I am keeping a close eye on Libertarian leadership.
I've actually friended several on Facebook and I've friended ex-leaders.
I'm finding out why the ex's left and if anything is being done to rectify the offending situation.
There is a bit of turnover and some very good people being burdened by several jobs.
I'm not a dive straight into the pool kind of guy.
I'm more of a squint at the horizon for a week to get a lay of the land, before I saddle my horse kind of guy.
I've also come across some broken financial promises, from the national.
We'll see how that shakes out.

Oh, I'm assuming you meant Republicans were not FINANCIALLY conservative enough and people went to the Libertarian Party.
Because otherwise, we are mostly pro-choice on everything.

A side note:
I've been watching Twitter, particularly Freedom Caucus members.
I'm thinking they may have the right idea.
Run as Republicans, take massive amounts of Republican money, and use those funds/position to promote Libertarian ideals.
Hmmmm....
(03-23-2017, 03:24 AM)xxlt Wrote: As far that "L" brand, there are some really good tenets in the ideology but it seems at the national level that people who were too crazy and extreme for the right wing of the most right wing party we have ever seen in America jumped to the "L" train.

[Image: loser.jpg]
(03-23-2017, 03:49 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Oh, I'm assuming you meant Republicans were not FINANCIALLY conservative enough and people went to the Libertarian Party.
Because otherwise, we are mostly pro-choice on everything.

No.  You are not pro-choice.  You are only in favor of pro-choice for the people rich and powerful to have choices.

Without government regulation there would be no "choice" for a safe workplace or a clean environment.

Do you think poor people not having access to health care is a "social" or "financial" issue?
Good luck to you! 

But for us poor souls who do not know Ohio geography very well......where in the world is Coshocton?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]