Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"I need to be here too"
Article on the home page https://www.bengals.com/news/ja-marr-chase-hoping-to-make-bengals-perennial-deep-postseason-runners they asked Chase about Burrow saying he wants to be here his whole career and wants Zac to be here as well, and Chase responded "Hell yeah, I need to be here too" and went on to say win as many AFCC and Super Bowls as possible. Hopefully Tee feels the same way and they don't get money hungry and leave for not so greener pastures.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 10:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Article on the home page https://www.bengals.com/news/ja-marr-chase-hoping-to-make-bengals-perennial-deep-postseason-runners they asked Chase about Burrow saying he wants to be here his whole career and wants Zac to be here as well, and Chase responded "Hell yeah, I need to be here too" and went on to say win as many AFCC and Super Bowls as possible. Hopefully Tee feels the same way and they don't get money hungry and leave for not so greener pastures.

Can't speak for Tee/Chase and their skill positions and worth but, imo, it's Burrow that is going to need be far more friendly since it will be his contract that will be incredibly enormous especially if they can make it back/win this SB. Burrow is a really really smart and savvy dude and he's seen/heard the stories of Tom Brady being cap/deferred contract friendly and the success NE was able to sustain and while NE had an incredible coach as well as other intangibles, they had no where near the overall skill position talent that Cinci. has.
Reply/Quote
Those are great sentiments that we can all rally behind, but everyone knows that there is only one way that "keeping the band together" can happen. It's going to take a good bit of unselfishness on everyone's part, when it comes to contracts. There is only so much money to go around, as they also need a strong supporting cast in order to get the job done, and good players don't always come cheap.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Tee isnt going to play for pennies but he does seem to like it here. And I believe he was a Bengal fan before he got drafted as well. He’s been awesome but hasn’t had the chance to put up elite numbers so that will drive his price down a bit. Great relationship and chemistry with Burrow. WR’s love playing for great QB’s. I could certainly see him take less to stay here, but we have to be in the ballpark with his other offers.

I could also see Burrow take a couple million less per year to keep a decent team around him. He’s going to get stupid money regardless, I have a feeling he’s a bigger picture guy and won’t worry too much about every last penny. He is smart though so his guaranteed money should be off the charts. That’s more important than overall contract number anyway.

Chase is the one I don’t see getting much of a discount for. He obviously loves burrow, but he will likely have to be the top paid WR in the NFL to keep him around.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 10:37 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Tee isnt going to play for pennies but he does seem to like it here. And I believe he was a Bengal fan before he got drafted as well. He’s been awesome but hasn’t had the chance to put up elite numbers so that will drive his price down a bit. Great relationship and chemistry with Burrow. WR’s love playing for great QB’s. I could certainly see him take less to stay here, but we have to be in the ballpark with his other offers.

I could also see Burrow take a couple million less per year to keep a decent team around him. He’s going to get stupid money regardless, I have a feeling he’s a bigger picture guy and won’t worry too much about every last penny. He is smart though so his guaranteed money should be off the charts. That’s more important than overall contract number anyway.

Chase is the one I don’t see getting much of a discount for. He obviously loves burrow, but he will likely have to be the top paid WR in the NFL to keep him around.

and beyond the NFL money im sure burrow will make millions doing commercials.    Can never really blame a player for attempting to get max pay in a sport any play can potentially end your career.  but its nice to see guys that want to win on the field more than the bank account.  (ie want to be highest paid at their position)

If teams start making fully guaranteed deals a norm though  bengals will likely need some help to compete in that area.

This will be an interesting offseason the be sure
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 10:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Article on the home page https://www.bengals.com/news/ja-marr-chase-hoping-to-make-bengals-perennial-deep-postseason-runners they asked Chase about Burrow saying he wants to be here his whole career and wants Zac to be here as well, and Chase responded "Hell yeah, I need to be here too" and went on to say win as many AFCC and Super Bowls as possible. Hopefully Tee feels the same way and they don't get money hungry and leave for not so greener pastures.
As they get family that perspective can change, football is normally a short career, I don't see it as money hungry, I see it as the prevailing wage for their labor is being offered, very Doubtful and understandiable we can afford to keep are top core more than 5 years , choices will have to be made..
Reply/Quote

I see a very bright future for this team.  Always in the running, and I have no doubts they will win Championship(s).  However, this year seemed like the perfect opportunity as they had most of their team back and a few new pieces.  Joe's appendix rupturing was a huge hurdle.  They survived it, but they had 17 weeks to get it together.

Now, they have another huge hurdle:  3 of the key pieces on the offensive line are now replaced with backups.  The optimist in me says they survived the best defense already in Baltiwhore, but the pessimist in me worries about Burrow taking all those hits and so many pages of the playbook being closed now.

I have faith they will overcome it and win it all THIS YEAR.  Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
I have mentioned it in numerous threads, I think Boyd may be cut in 2023 and Mixon in 2024. Or they would have to restructure and take less money which I see neither doing.

Boyd - 2023 Dead money of 1.4 million, but we save 8.9 million in cap space
Mixon - 2024 Dead Money 2.8 million, but save 10.3 million in cap space

Also cut Brandon Wilson in 2023, save 2 million with no dead cap

The cap savings can go towards extensions for Burrow and Higgins (Chase has 3 years left) and added to our already very good cap surplus

The Bengals have some big decisions to make in 2023 with Bates, Bell, Pratt, Apple and a few others. There is a lot of money invested on the defensive side of the ball now, in the future that will need to even out as offense has a lot of rookie deals.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 10:37 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Tee isnt going to play for pennies but he does seem to like it here. And I believe he was a Bengal fan before he got drafted as well. He’s been awesome but hasn’t had the chance to put up elite numbers so that will drive his price down a bit. Great relationship and chemistry with Burrow. WR’s love playing for great QB’s. I could certainly see him take less to stay here, but we have to be in the ballpark with his other offers.

Yes 100%.
When a player says they'd like to stay, there's an asterisk there...it's they'd like to stay at a fair price.
It may be lower than what he could get elsewhere, but it won't be significantly lower.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 11:11 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have mentioned it in numerous threads, I think Boyd may be cut in 2023 and Mixon in 2024. Or they would have to restructure and take less money which I see neither doing.

The cap savings can go towards extensions for Burrow and Higgins (Chase has 3 years left) and added to our already very good cap surplus

The Bengals have some big decisions to make in 2023 with Bates, Bell, Pratt, Apple and a few others. There is a lot of money invested on the defensive side of the ball now, in the future that will need to even out as offense has a lot of rookie deals.

While loving every minute of the season and this run they are on, I too have wondered about the future of Boyd and Mixon after this season.   If Mixon were cut after this season, dead money would be 5.5M with a cap savings for 2023 of approx 7.25M.  I doubt the Bengals would do that but they are going to have some difficult decisions ahead.  As much as I enjoy watching Mixon, I'd prefer a young RB on a rookie contract next year with Perine (assuming he's resigned at a reasonable number) leading the way as they phase in a younger RB into the mix
Reply/Quote
There are a lot of things that factor into the free agency decisions. Whether coming from another team or your own. One thing that’s one box checked is confidence in the staff, like the head coach, and the culture. Keep in mind Cincinnati is not a major market and not NYC, LA, or Miami. So it’s up to Mgt. and the players to work it out. But make no mistake it’s a good situation
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 11:11 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have mentioned it in numerous threads, I think Boyd may be cut in 2023 and Mixon in 2024. Or they would have to restructure and take less money which I see neither doing.

Chase had 1 year left before he gets an extension.

I just don't see how you can give out contracts that average $110m to a QB and 2 WRs and build a complete team around them. The Boyd and Mixon cap space savings is nice, but compared to what you'll be adding? Chump change.

Burrow, Chase, and Higgins had a combined $19.2m cap hit in 2022. Higgins alone is going to probably get $25m/yr.

That's not touching the fact that other guys cap hits are all going to rise even without new deals, eating up most of the cap increase you're getting. Hendrickson's hit will be $1m more, BJ Hill's will be $2.5m more, Hubbard's will be $2.8m more, Reader will be $1.9m more, Jonah will be $7m more, Cappa will be $1.9m more, Hilton will be $1m more, Chase will be $1.4m more, Collins will be $2.7m more.

So even with no internal (there's a good amount of important ones who will be more expensive if you want them back) or external FAs signed, or any extensions given, those guys are still going to cost $22.2m more cap space than they did in 2022. I just don't see how they maintain a competitive full roster while extending Burrow, Chase, and Higgins all to the contracts that they'll command.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 12:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:
Chase had 1 year left before he gets an extension.

I just don't see how you can give out contracts that average $110m to a QB and 2 WRs and build a complete team around them. The Boyd and Mixon cap space savings is nice, but compared to what you'll be adding? Chump change.

Burrow, Chase, and Higgins had a combined $19.2m cap hit in 2022. Higgins alone is going to probably get $25m/yr.

That's not touching the fact that other guys cap hits are all going to rise even without new deals, eating up most of the cap increase you're getting. Hendrickson's hit will be $1m more, BJ Hill's will be $2.5m more, Hubbard's will be $2.8m more, Reader will be $1.9m more, Jonah will be $7m more, Cappa will be $1.9m more, Hilton will be $1m more, Chase will be $1.4m more, Collins will be $2.7m more.

So even with no internal (there's a good amount of important ones who will be more expensive if you want them back) or external FAs signed, or any extensions given, those guys are still going to cost $22.2m more cap space than they did in 2022. I just don't see how they maintain a competitive full roster while extending Burrow, Chase, and Higgins all to the contracts that they'll command.

I think your 1st statement is misleading. Chase has one year prior to being eligible for an extension, but can be under contract for 3 more years.

I also don't see Higgins get 25 million a year, maybe I am wrong. Davonte Adams who is far superior to Higgins just got an average of 28 million a year. There is no comparison in results, Adams is simply a lot better.

The Bengals have 48 million in cap space without any cuts in 2023. The have over 100 million in 2024. The cap will continue to go up 15 to 20 million a year. If Europe develops, the cap will go crazy.

The Bengals will have tough decisions, but realize, Burrow will get an extension so his cap hit in 2023 will be very reasonable, so will 2024. The Bengals are in a great place compared to others, just take a deep look and you will see teams in really bad cap situations. The Ravens for one do not have the. money to franchise tag Jackson without cuts being made in 2023.

I am under no illusion the Bengals will get huge discounts, so the key moving forward is for FO to work on keeping as many pieces together as possible while using the draft and low levels of FA to continue with a great roster.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 12:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Chase had 1 year left before he gets an extension.

We can sign them all long term and keep the gang together another 3-4 years. Then we’ll likely have to look at trading Tee to keep Joe and Chase together. Unless you put a no trade clause in the contract there is nothing that says you can’t sign a guy like Tee long term and trade him in a few years for a nice pick when the cap crunch really starts.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 12:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think your 1st statement is misleading. Chase has one year prior to being eligible for an extension, but can be under contract for 3 more years.

I also don't see Higgins get 25 million a year, maybe I am wrong. Davonte Adams who is far superior to Higgins just got an average of 28 million a year. There is no comparison in results, Adams is simply a lot better.

The Bengals have 48 million in cap space without any cuts in 2023. The have over 100 million in 2024. The cap will continue to go up 15 to 20 million a year. If Europe develops, the cap will go crazy.

The Bengals will have tough decisions, but realize, Burrow will get an extension so his cap hit in 2023 will be very reasonable, so will 2024. The Bengals are in a great place compared to others, just take a deep look and you will see teams in really bad cap situations. The Ravens for one do not have the. money to franchise tag Jackson without cuts being made in 2023.

I am under no illusion the Bengals will get huge discounts, so the key moving forward is for FO to work on keeping as many pieces together as possible while using the draft and low levels of FA to continue with a great roster.

It's not misleading. If you don't give Chase an extension after his 3rd year, then it is a statement that you aren't committed to him and don't believe he's the future. We've seen it time and time again over the last half decade plus.  Elite players get extensions after their 3rd year or they're likely not going to be on your team long. 

Higgins is absolutely going to get around $25m/yr. DK Metcalf got $24m/yr before 2022, AJ Brown got $25m/yr before 2022. Those are the best comparisons to Tee Higgins. Davonte Adams specifically took a little less than he could have gotten (relatively less, obviously still a stupid amount) to go to Vegas and play with Carr. The Packers allegedly offered him more money. It will be a year later and the numbers go up. Justin Jefferson is about to completely reset the upper tier of WR pay this offseason.

The cap will go up, but so will the salaries. They always do.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Honestly, if Burrow is elite like we all think he is, then Chase should be the only WR we give a big extension to. The rest should be able to be draft picks and JAGs. All QBs need help, but elite QBs don't need a stacked WR core, just a good one. I would rather money be poured into the defense as that is what wins games in the post season (see last Sunday and last season).
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 01:35 PM)tTheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's not misleading. If you don't give Chase an extension after his 3rd year, then it is a statement that you aren't committed to him and don't believe he's the future. We've seen it time and time again over the last half decade plus.  Elite players get extensions after their 3rd year or they're likely not going to be on your team long. 

Higgins is absolutely going to get around $25m/yr. DK Metcalf got $24m/yr before 2022, AJ Brown got $25m/yr before 2022. Those are the best comparisons to Tee Higgins. Davonte Adams specifically took a little less than he could have gotten (relatively less, obviously still a stupid amount) to go to Vegas and play with Carr. The Packers allegedly offered him more money. It will be a year later and the numbers go up. Justin Jefferson is about to completely reset the upper tier of WR pay this offseason.

The cap will go up, but so will the salaries. They always do.

It's definitely going to be interesting. The difference, though, is the stigma attached to Tee as a #2. I know he played a few games like a 1 but those other players are 1's. Is it the same as in MLB where you have a #1 starter that gets you into the 7th/8th innings most games versus the #2 that gores 6?

Tee will have his chance to shine this weekend and, hopefully, beyond.
Reply/Quote
the team liked the quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

Refreshing to say the least such great players wanting to be Bengals for their entire careers. Seriously, both Joe and Ja'Marr have 
the talent to be the best ever at both of their respective positions. And the mental capacity to do so. I am sure Tee feels the same 
way being a Bengals fan before he even got here but he will be tougher to keep around. It is possible though if we let Mixon and 
Boyd leave and Burrow takes just a little less of a contract to keep the team competitive. Regardless these guys are going to get 
paid tops at their positions and they certainly deserve it. They will keep us contenders their entire careers.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 04:21 PM)Garrus Wrote: Honestly, if Burrow is elite like we all think he is, then Chase should be the only WR we give a big extension to. The rest should be able to be draft picks and JAGs. All QBs need help, but elite QBs don't need a stacked WR core, just a good one. I would rather money be poured into the defense as that is what wins games in the post season (see last Sunday and last season).

Tend to agree with you, we can upgrade at TE cheaper also , find those still solid veterans that are now chasing the ring who tend to take better 1 to 2 year deals.. we can;t empty so much on offense and forget about defense
Reply/Quote