Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I never want to see an empty set again
Don't give a shit if Burrow loves them. With the sorry state our pass protection is in, they simply are not working.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:58 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Don't give a shit if Burrow loves them. With the sorry state our pass protection is in, they simply are not working.

But empty said means they can’t blitz because they have to cover hurrr durrr hurrr
Reply/Quote
They learned nothing from the winning formula of week 1. That is bad coaching.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
It’s not just like there going empty and airing it out every play there play calling is so predictable. Run on 1st down , run on 2nd and long up the middle into the teeth of the defense for 2 yards. Then you got 3rd and long and the defense Tee’s off. I haven’t seen a single screen pass all year , no creativity , no presnap movement. Fake a sweep to Chase , I know Burrow is coming of an ACL but your allowed to move the pocket and roll the QB out. Chip with the tight end we have 3 wide receivers who are very good and should
Win some matchups.
Reply/Quote
They need to learn how to pick up the right blocks.

Joe can’t sit back and watch either. The ball needs to come out fast. He’s still in his LSU days
Reply/Quote
Junk the empty set - it actually enhances blitzes.

Use the same formation for both running and passing. Have the TE and RB assist in pass blocking and send the rest deep and let Burrow air it out. Have him move in the pocket and (gasp) rollout. It's all elementary stuff.
Reply/Quote
Never been a fan of empty sets.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 03:56 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: They need to learn how to pick up the right blocks.

Joe can’t sit back and watch either. The ball needs to come out fast. He’s still in his LSU days

This is the elephant in the room, isn't it? I hadn't really thought about how long he was holding on to the ball until my brother pointed it out last night. There are times he just needs to chuck it in the bleachers and live to fight another down. I appreciate his moxy and unwillingness to quit, but there are times he just needs to get rid of it.  The RBs have REALLY got to get their shit together in pass pro too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Never been a fan of empty sets.

Me either 74, but damned if the Chiefs don't love em! Also, we are not the Chiefs.... LOL

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:37 AM)jj22 Wrote: They learned nothing from the winning formula of week 1. That is bad coaching.

It looked similar to me...leaned on Mixon, about 30 pass attempts, you just can't put the ball on the turf four times and win many games.

Reply/Quote
Because our RBs and TEs are such awesome blockers..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because our RBs and TEs are such awesome blockers..

If only we had given Gio the contract that Mixon got so he could block. All would be solved.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: It looked similar to me...leaned on Mixon, about 30 pass attempts, you just can't put the ball on the turf four times and win many games.

Yup.  The most disappointing thing about this one is despite all the issues, we still would have easily won if we just didn't turn it over because of Dalton going out.  I mean, Fields is atrocious.  
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:49 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If only we had given Gio the contract that Mixon got so he could block. All would be solved.

We could always draft another blocking TE in the 2nd round.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because our RBs and TEs are such awesome blockers..

Joe Mixon doesn't get paid $12 mil a year to block...or catch...or bust long runs...

I think it's seriously time to see what RB's are available and see if there's somebody who can block a little bit.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think it's seriously time to see what RB's are available and see if there's somebody who can block a little bit.

I think I need to pay more attention to other teams to see if their star rb is  needed to block so much. I feel like this is forced on Mixon because of either scheme or poor Oline play. Sure RB's are needed to block at times, but it seems like we may be overcompensating by blaming all blocking woes on a rb. 

Gio was exceptional as a blocker, but is that the rule for a rb?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Empty sets are actually great if used correctly. They really haven't been which is the issue, so I'd implore people to not cast judgement on a great formation for Zach's failings.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: It looked similar to me...leaned on Mixon, about 30 pass attempts, you just can't put the ball on the turf four times and win many games.

Actually they went away from what worked week one. Week one had almost no empty sets, Burrow was under center the vast majority of the time and they ran a lot to the edges. Week two was mostly shotgun with far more empty sets and they tried to run inside more. Also week one the ball came out faster - week two the plays took way too long to develop.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:49 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If only we had given Gio the contract that Mixon got so he could block. All would be solved.

Yeah right. We did nor allow any sacks last year when Gio was playing.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: Joe Mixon doesn't get paid $12 mil a year to block...or catch...or bust long runs...

I think it's seriously time to see what RB's are available and see if there's somebody who can block a little bit.

He is 2nd in NFL in rushing after 2 games
Reply/Quote