Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I see a lot of mock drafts having us take a CB - Dont be fooled
The Bengals defense ranked dead last in pass yards in 2018...but thats not because of corner back play. Its because of linebacker coverage. Our corner backs are fine - linebacker is the real position we need to upgrade at. We need fast play making linebackers who can cover the middle of the field and screens.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 11:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The Bengals defense ranked dead last in pass yards in 2018...but thats not because of corner back play. Its because of linebacker coverage. Our corner backs are fine - linebacker is the real position we need to upgrade at. We need fast play making linebackers who can cover the middle of the field and screens.

They aren't fine if Dennard leaves as we have no depth at all, which we saw later in the year. 
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 11:25 AM)Au165 Wrote: They aren't fine if Dennard leaves as we have no depth at all, which we saw later in the year. 

Getting a good starting linebacker that can cover is a bigger need than corner back depth IMO. 
Reply/Quote
LB is by far a bigger need than CB. If they part ways with Burfict (as they should), they will need at least 2 new starters on that unit. Never mind the possibility that they could switch to a 34 scheme depending on the new DC.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 11:30 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Getting a good starting linebacker that can cover is a bigger need than corner back depth IMO. 

A nickle CB is a starter.
Reply/Quote
I’ve seen 75% of mock drafts having us drafting lb Devon White. The other 25% have us taking Kyler Murray
Reply/Quote
Mocks right now mean little.
First it depends on the Off-Season for all teams.
Then mocks can be much more accurate based on everyone's Free Agent Signings and so forth.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't want a CB 1st but there will be good value there imo.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 12:41 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I’ve seen 75% of mock drafts having us drafting lb Devon White.  The other 25% have us taking Kyler Murray

This would worry me,   I know the kid has some talent,  and I don't care what others say about him,  the odds of him being a quality NFL QB are slim.  The risk and such are too high a price to pay when we have other more glaring needs.   If say by some chance he's sitting there in the 4th round,  sure go for it,  no way would I spend a pick sooner then that on him.   For years I stood behind Dalton thinking he could be good enough to manage this team to a deep play off run,   He's smart and he can throw a good enough pass to carry the team,  with the right Defense.  But Im getting to the point of saying lets get someone else.  

Theres a few things that bother me about Dalton,  First thing is,  I've seen the guy take off running a few times,  then when the defenders close in on him he slides,  feet first coming up a yard or 2 short of the first down,  and on 3rd downs that pisses me off,  specially when he coulda took the hit and gotten the first.  I've seen times when the pocket has broken down and he has running lanes open and instead of taking off running he's thrown bad errant passes which have lead to INT's.   I know I know lots of QB's make those mistakes,  but I feel Dalton does it more then alot.   I watch alot of football every season,  so much my wife hates me for it. 

Now with that said,  I'd rather stick with Dalton then waste a draft pick on a risky move such as taking Murray early in the draft.  I wish the kid all the luck in the world and hope he does become a star if he chooses FB over BB.  Even more so if we do take him,  I just don't see it. 

I know some of you are gonna bash me for this,  (OSU HOMER!!! Blah Blah, I really don't care)  and don't give me this shit,  how many star QB's has OSU had in the NFL,  there's always a first,  SOOOOO,  IF,  BIG BIG "IF"... we were to target a QB in this draft I would rather us go after Haskins,  I truely believe he has a high ceiling with the right guidance,  IDK,  someone like Zac Taylor grooming him.  Let him sit a year behind Dalton and then let him start in 2020.  

Still I'd rather see us go after LB and OL in the first few rounds in this draft and ride Dalton for the next year or 2.  Hell maybe even tank next year and aim for a high draft position in the 2020 draft,  that draft is gonna have a much better QB stock then this year draft. 

Sorry for the long rant,  thats just my opinion.  I'm no guru so whatever the team and the new coach decide,  I'll support the players they put out on the field each and every week till the day I die,  somedays won't be as grand as others,  but they are the team I root for.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 11:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote:  Our corner backs are fine - linebacker is the real position we need to upgrade at. 

We don't have Dennard, and without him we are far from fine.

We also need LB but that position is much cheaper to address in free agency.  LBs for a 4-3 team are much cheaper than CBs.  So moneywise it might be smart to use a high draft pick on a more expensive position than LB.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We don't have Dennard, and without him we are far from fine.

We also need LB but that position is much cheaper to address in free agency.  LBs for a 4-3 team are much cheaper than CBs.  So moneywise it might be smart to use a high draft pick on a more expensive position than LB.

Then there's the whole other side of the ball...that needs atleast 2 new starters on the offensive line and maybe 3. There aren't many good Tackles in free agency and they cost a ton when they are there.

Seems like drafting an OT would be a great move. An OT makes the QB better, the RB's, and the WR's as he gives the QB more time.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 02:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Then there's the whole other side of the ball...that needs atleast 2 new starters on the offensive line and maybe 3. There aren't many good Tackles in free agency and they cost a ton when they are there.

Seems like drafting an OT would be a great move. An OT makes the QB better, the RB's, and the WR's as he gives the QB more time.

Yep,

If this team expects to have any short term hope they have to address the glaring holes in the Oline and LBers ! And they'll have to use the top of the draft and free agency to do it.

Now if the plan is a mini blow up and building for 2020,21 then yes it's more open to who to draft.
Reply/Quote
As stated, CB is absolutely a need for this team whether they bring Dennard back or not. So many teams are stretching the field and forcing defenses to put 4 or 5 CBs out there and the Bengals simply can't do that.

That's not to say LB isn't a worse position group for the Bengals, but I do think that LB has become devalued in today's NFL.

Honestly they should just take the best player available (RB being the only exception). They need help all over.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 02:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep,

If this team expects to have any short term hope they have to address the glaring holes in the Oline and LBers ! And they'll have to use the top of the draft and free agency to do it.

Now if the plan is a mini blow up and building for 2020,21 then yes it's more open to who to draft.

A few weeks ago, I posted articles about PFF's rankings of units: LB and OLine. A crazy amount of teams with Top 10 units in each made the playoffs.

CB in the 1st Round kind of seems like a waste because you aren't going to shutdown high powered offenses with the rule changes.

Our shortest path to winning is becoming a high powered offense. We already have Mixon. Lets block for him!
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 02:18 PM)NKURyan Wrote: As stated, CB is absolutely a need for this team whether they bring Dennard back or not. So many teams are stretching the field and forcing defenses to put 4 or 5 CBs out there and the Bengals simply can't do that.

That's not to say LB isn't a worse position group for the Bengals, but I do think that LB has become devalued in today's NFL.

Honestly they should just take the best player available (RB being the only exception). They need help all over.

We do need help all over. LB, OT, and Guard being the worst spots. We likely need 2 LB's.

We need a WR3 too IF Ross isn't going to be that guy. We need a starting TE pretty desperately. Then our backup TE's are free agents.

We need some CB3 if it isn't Dennard.
Reply/Quote
What about CB Lavert Hill from Ichigan?
Reply/Quote
I'd love to see some team want to trade above us for a QB and be able to slide down some in the 1st and pick up an extra 2nd Round pick this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 02:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd love to see some team want to trade above us for a QB and be able to slide down some in the 1st and pick up an extra 2nd Round pick this year.

you mean trade with us? not above us lol
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 11:25 AM)Au165 Wrote: They aren't fine if Dennard leaves as we have no depth at all, which we saw later in the year. 

I believe Phillips is an up and comer and that he has a real shot at filling the hole if Dennard leaves.  So you might not have to be drafting one for immediate need.   If this is the case, then you don't feel obligated to take one first.  You can wait a round or two or three.

On the other hand, are Baker or Williams good enough to be at the top of your board?   From what I see, Williams is top five in a lot of mocks, for whatever that's worth.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We don't have Dennard, and without him we are far from fine.

They need to resign Dennard. Is ridiculous how his team keeps letting its players go while it handicaps them in the draft. Its like a damn merry go round. 
Reply/Quote