Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I see a lot of mock drafts having us take a CB - Dont be fooled
(02-03-2019, 02:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree with what you are saying, but at the same time teams have limited resources to build an entire roster.  So it is a balancing act.  We can't ignore the depth behind our starters, but we also have to get a few new starters in place before the back ups will even matter. 

This.

The only tackle under contract is injury prone and slightly above average at best.  In an ideal situation, there'd be a younger player to take his place so they could unburden themselves from his contract.  They need 1 tackle for the immediate future and probably 2 for the long term, not to mention a backup swing guy.  

There are 2 starting corners under control.  They drafted 2 backup corners last year.  Adding to that, corners take time to develop in almost every case with this team.  They need to get a guy in round 1 that can help right away at either OL or LB, maybe even TE.  Drafting for depth in round 1 is a luxury this team does not have right now.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 12:41 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I’ve seen 75% of mock drafts having us drafting lb Devon White.  The other 25% have us taking Kyler Murray

I'm seen many us taking Oline
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We don't have enough picks in the first 3 rounds to go after a cb that will replace Dennard. He must be resigned.

Sent from my N9517 using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
You know what will really help these young corners, a better coach and a pass rush, it's really hard to cover for 4+ seconds.
so if you have a LB that can stop that quick hit to the RB or TE you can be a little more aggressive with the blitz and it should make a sizable difference.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 12:28 AM)fozzie11 Wrote: You know what will really help these young corners, a better coach and a pass rush, it's really hard to cover for 4+ seconds.
so if you have a LB that can stop that quick hit to the RB or TE you can be a little more aggressive with the blitz and it should make a sizable difference.

Agreed and now that it is official Taylor is the HC i am interested in seeing who they bring in as the DC, D-line coach and LB coach.

A good pass rush is a Cornerback's best friend.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 07:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed and now that it is official Taylor is the HC i am interested in seeing who they bring in as the DC, D-line coach and LB coach.

A good pass rush is a Cornerback's best friend.

You hit the nail on the head. The defense and importantly, the DC hiring, has to be done right.

Last night's game should be a real learning lesson for Taylor. Phillips kept them in the game.

We need to build starting from around the ball. That's both OL and DL.

He may have a Donald type here, but there is no Suh here.

Then the second line of defense.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 07:35 PM)XsandOs Wrote: You hit the nail on the head. The defense and importantly, the DC hiring, has to be done right.

Last night's game should be a real learning lesson for Taylor. Phillips kept them in the game.

Yes, the best teams build from the trenches out. Still have high hopes for Billings but he definately ain't no Suh yet.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 07:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, the best teams build from the trenches out. Still have high hopes for Billings but he definately ain't no Suh yet.

Shelton is a FA, I believe. Also, this draft has some DT monsters.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 07:41 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Shelton is a FA, I believe. Also, this draft has some DT monsters.

All for adding that other force along side Geno. Thought Billings could be that but he hasn't shown it yet, just in flashes.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 07:35 PM)XsandOs Wrote: You hit the nail on the head. The defense and importantly, the DC hiring,  has to be done right.

(02-04-2019, 07:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, the best teams build from the trenches out. Still have high hopes for Billings but he definately ain't no Suh yet.

I don't know about you guys, but I was fairly impressed with what I saw from Christian Ringo.  If that guy develops as well as he flashed, we could very well have one of our "missing links" already on the roster.  Let's not forget about Glassgow, he was looking ready to bust out this year, before the injury struck him down.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 07:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All for adding that other force along side Geno. Thought Billings could be that but he hasn't shown it yet, just in flashes.

You weren't alone in expectations for Billings.

Peko was a good bodyguard for Geno. Billings just doesn't command double Teams.

If the C shift to left to create the triangle space for QBs blind side, without worrying for the DT to his right, that severely diminishes Geno's effectiveness.

You dont do that against LA.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 07:53 PM)XsandOs Wrote: You weren't alone in expectations for Billings.

If the C shift to left to create the triangle space for QBs blind side, without worrying for the DT to his right, that severely diminishes Geno's effectiveness.

Danny Shelton from the PAts looks like a solid NT type. I don’t think he will cost much. Didn’t play much this year but was outstanding yesterday
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 07:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know about you guys, but I was fairly impressed with what I saw from Christian Ringo.  If that guy develops as well as he flashed, we could very well have one of our "missing links" already on the roster.  Let's not forget about Glassgow, he was looking ready to bust out this year, before the injury struck him down.

That would be awesome if Ringo could become a force. Wonder why he went undrafted?

I thought Glasgow looked good myself. That injury bug was bad last year man.

(02-04-2019, 07:53 PM)XsandOs Wrote: You weren't alone in expectations for Billings.

True, just hoping Billings or one of these guys emerge. They are all still really young, especially Billings.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 07:56 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Danny Shelton from the PAts looks like a solid NT type. I don’t think he will cost much. Didn’t play much this year but was outstanding yesterday

He already mentioned Shelton, but yeah, would be all for bringing him in.

Think he might be a little more than you think cost wise though. We have lots of dough to spend anyways, bring in an O-lineman, LB'er and Shelton in FA and i would be happy.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 07:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know about you guys, but I was fairly impressed with what I saw from Christian Ringo.  If that guy develops as well as he flashed, we could very well have one of our "missing links" already on the roster.  Let's not forget about Glassgow, he was looking ready to bust out this year, before the injury struck him down.

Sunset, do you trust Ringo to face three of the the best RGs in the game, TWICE, each year?

Yanda, DeCastro and Zeitler are animals.

I just don't know if a sub 300lb DT, lined up next to another sub 300lb DT, can anchor against those three.

You may be right about Ringo, but I would rather have a 340lb+ grizzly for the first two downs lined up against them.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 07:56 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Danny Shelton from the PAts looks like a solid NT type.  I don’t think he will cost much.  Didn’t play much this year but was outstanding yesterday

He won't be that cheap.  He just finished his rookie contract, and was ranked 2/22 4-3 DTs.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 08:06 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Sunset, do you trust Ringo to face three of the the best RGs in the game, TWICE, each year?

Yanda, DeCastro and Zeitler are animals.

I just don't know if a sub 300lb DT, lined up next to another sub 300lb DT, can anchor against those three.

You may be right about Ringo, but I would rather have a 340lb+ grizzly for the first two downs lined up against them.

I wasn't thinking of Ringo as the primary guy, but more as rotational in the platoon.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 08:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wasn't thinking of Ringo as the primary guy, but more as rotational in the platoon.

Makes sense on pass downs.

Seems the Bengals like him enough to bring him back.

I'm interested to see how he does. Maybe with Glasgow back, he may not be retained.
Reply/Quote
Draft another corner and redo Dre's contract. Be creative. I think the best way to stay competitive is with offensive weapons . The NFL is wanting scores not defense. Get respectable on the defensive side and creative on the other. Zac Taylor lead us there!
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 08:25 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Draft another corner and redo Dre's contract. Be creative. I think the best way to stay competitive is with offensive weapons . The NFL is wanting scores not defense. Get respectable on the defensive side and creative on the other. Zac Taylor lead us there!

Need to be good in all 3 phases, Offense, Defense and ST's as we saw last night.

That high powered Offense sure didn't get it done for the Rams. The Defense kept them in it.
Reply/Quote