Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I see people say Zac is a bad OC/playcaller but good HC...
(11-02-2022, 04:26 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Are the bengals 1-7?  I’m confused.  I get that .500 is below expectations and we are coming off the worst loss of the season, but let’s chill for a minute.  The bengals are currently projected to pick 18 next year, which means much closer to playoffs than “picking early in the draft”.

They are also not 7-1 and are 0-3 in the division. For space, I didn't quote everything, but Zac has been here long enough not to make the same mistakes. The O-line has been an issue. Dalton had a horrible line, but the Andy hate clouded some people to that. It still is bad. A janitor at Paul Brown would have picked Burrow ( after we finished dead last ) and Chase ( after a marginal improvement. ) Other picks have been questionable, at best. 

The team is not on an up swing. If they lost a trap game or something, I mean, that happens. Going undefeated in the season just doesn't happen. Thing is they lose a number of games they should win. That bad team Zac inherited are the same type of teams beating us now! While the defense is getting pooped on this week, remember they just allowed their first second half touchdown. Not horrible. Yet our offense is not lighting up the scoreboard with all the talent and an offensive head coach.

Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 03:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Put Joe Burrow and Chase on the Steelers or Browns...or any team and I think the results get much better.

I agree with your premise. If you replaced Zac with say Tomlin...would we be better or worse?

If you replaced Zac with LaFleur from the Packers are we better or worse? Kingsbury? do this for other coaches.

Is it Wow - No coach could win with Burrow and Chase, but Zac did? Or is it, wow those guys give a coach a great advantage?

Like IF you put Zac coaching the Panthers or Lions - Are they SB bound within his 1st 4 years?

I do think Chase and Burrow make each other exponentially better with they're past history and chemistry. It's an impossible question to answer on the coaches. But reading your reply made me realize that I think coaches that lift the talent level of they're players is rare and maybe as rare as a QB that can do it. But maybe I'm just focusing on head coaches that do play calling. I think Zac needs a perfect setup to be successful and there seems to be multiple examples of teams finding some success with imperfect situations. 
Reply/Quote
Our opposing QBs this year so far:

Trubisky, Rush, Flacco, Dalton, Brissett, Jackson, Marietta, and Bridgewater. That's 7 backups/busts.

This was an epically easy schedule so far.

Our roster is arguably a top 5 roster...and we're 4-4.

We should be 6-2 or 7-1.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 06:52 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I do think Chase and Burrow make each other exponentially better with they're past history and chemistry. It's an impossible question to answer on the coaches. But reading your reply made me realize that I think coaches that lift the talent level of they're players is rare and maybe as rare as a QB that can do it. But maybe I'm just focusing on head coaches that do play calling. I think Zac needs a perfect setup to be successful and there seems to be multiple examples of teams finding some success with imperfect situations. 

So, it's pretty universally accepted on the board that Zac needs to give up playcalling.

A good HC would relieve a bad OC/playcaller of duties. Not keep hurting the team.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 05:48 PM)jason Wrote: Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase did it in under 3 years
Wth Zac as HC putting together a solid team that was motivated and played smart in the playoffs and actually that in most of those games, ZT out coached the other coaches,
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 07:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So, it's pretty universally accepted on the board that Zac needs to give up playcalling.

A good HC would relieve a bad OC/playcaller of duties. Not keep hurting the team.

It wouldn't help the person taking over the playcalling would be calling the same plays because those are the plays they game plan and practice all week. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 07:17 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Wth Zac as HC putting together a solid team that was motivated and played smart in the playoffs and actually that in most of those games, ZT out coached the other coaches,

Just can't seem to do it with Stefanski though... Huh? Or like literally ever until Chase came along. I guess I should give him some credit for that Ryan Finley Steelers game. Nobody thought we had a shot in that one.

I'd rather be happy than right, so I hope I'm mistaken... But I have a suspicion that the Carolina game is gonna look pretty similar to the Cleveland game a coupla nights ago.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 07:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our opposing QBs this year so far:

Trubisky, Rush, Flacco, Dalton, Brissett, Jackson, Marietta, and Bridgewater. That's 7 backups/busts.

We should be 6-2 or 7-1.

Exactly this. 

Spin the coaching wheel and who do you think would have done us worse?

The #1OA pick from the year before, very good receivers and an elite rookie rode with a good defense to the Super Bowl. A year of tape is out there. The easy part of the schedule is 4-4. Potential to go 5-4 if we un-f ourselves before the bye. After that, losing all but one would not be shocking, at all. I hope we turn it around, but this isn't last year. We were learning and improving. Now teams are learning us and we are not adjusting. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 11:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We win in spite of him

Correct 
Reply/Quote
We run a very rudimentary offense. Disjointed too. The shotgun plays are largely pass. The under center plays...largely ineffective runs. Very disjointed. And it allows defenders to tee off Burrow.

The issues are more than playcalling. They're scheme and design. That's on Zac and Callahan.

With a qb as good as Burrow and the WRs we have...it should be much better.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 07:31 PM)jason Wrote: Just can't seem to do it with Stefanski though... Huh? Or like literally ever until Chase came along. I guess I should give him some credit for that Ryan Finley Steelers game. Nobody thought we had a shot in that one.

I'd rather be happy than right, so I hope I'm mistaken... But I have a suspicion that the Carolina game is gonna look pretty similar to the Cleveland game a coupla nights ago.

Carolina pretty much is tanking. We got to beat them! Same with the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 09:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Carolina pretty much is tanking. We got to beat them! Same with the Steelers.

It'll be Wilkes vs Taylor, a number one on any other team & Boyd vs DJ Moore, Burrow vs the XFL... On paper that game is ours to win. Chase is a big loss, but we have a top 5 QB, 2 legit WRs still, Hurst, and a stable of RBs, and we're at home... There is zero excuse to lose this game.

There wasn't much of an excuse to get thumped 25-0 before scoring the other night though either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 07:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: ****

We should be 6-2 or 7-1.

I don't know how to compare our roster to those of other teams, but certainly having a left tackle who has given up 8 sacks and a god-awful number of pressures, a 4th round rookie at LG, a right tackle that doesn't practice much during the week because of a lingering injury, a RB corps that is not very impressive (running or blocking), and only one TE of note and no WR4 of note, I'm not sure in retrospect others would rate the Bengals at the start of the season as high as you do. 

And now missing Chase, Reader and Awuzie? This team definitely took a drop-off in talent. I think you would have to agree if they win with this current roster, then some credit has to be given to the head coach. Of course, they would have to win for that  credit to be awarded.
Reply/Quote
He changed the culture in Cincinnati. The players have bought in, but the fans still a work in progress.

I do think we need a better more experienced OC that he should either hand playcalling duties too or at least work very heavily with and continue to learn and grow in that department.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 07:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our opposing QBs this year so far:

We should be 6-2 or 7-1.

Why are you bringing up the QBs we've been up against when the reason for our losses are not on the defense?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 07:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This was an epically easy schedule so far.

Are you just making things up now or are you trolling. 

Currently we have played the 10th hardest strength of schedule. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:41 PM)Nepa Wrote: I'm not sure in retrospect others would rate the Bengals at the start of the season as high as you do. 

Prior to this season, most NFL analysts were NOT picking the Bengals to win the division and many were not picking the Bengals to even make the playoffs. So, yes, others would not rate the Bengals as high as he or many of us do.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 10:12 AM)Au165 Wrote: Are you just making things up now or are you trolling. 

Currently we have played the 10th hardest strength of schedule. 

Combined record of the teams we've played so far: 33-31
Combined record of the teams we've beaten: 17-15
Combined record of the teams we've lost to: 16-16

We've faced 4 teams who currently have a winning record and we've beaten 2 of them (jets, Dolphins)
We've faced 3 teams who currently have a losing record and we've beaten 1 of them (Saints)
We've faced 1 team who currently has a .500 record and we've beaten them (Falcons)

Looks like we've done better against teams that aren't losing most of their games. If that trend continues, we face 5 more teams that currently have a .500 record or better so we should expect to end the season 9-8. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 10:24 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Combined record of the teams we've played so far: 33-31
Combined record of the teams we've beaten: 17-15
Combined record of the teams we've lost to: 16-16

We've faced 4 teams who currently have a winning record and we've beaten 2 of them (jets, Dolphins)
We've faced 3 teams who currently have a losing record and we've beaten 1 of them (Saints)
We've faced 1 team who currently has a .500 record and we've beaten them (Falcons)

Looks like we've done better against teams that aren't losing most of their games. If that trend continues, we face 5 more teams that currently have a .500 record or better so we should expect to end the season 9-8. ThumbsUp

Yea, my comment was simply around the idea the schedule was "pathetically easy" when in reality it has been one of the harder schedules. 20 teams currently in the NFL are .500 or worse which creates a perception issue. We simply assume there are more "good" teams than there are but the reality is the NFL is 3-4 good teams and then a massive middle that changes week to week.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 07:31 PM)jason Wrote: Just can't seem to do it with Stefanski though... Huh? Or like literally ever until Chase came along. I guess I should give him some credit for that Ryan Finley Steelers game. Nobody thought we had a shot in that one.

How good is Carolina in the trenches? I haven't watched them. If they're below average, we will win. If they're good, it's a toss up.

Cleveland's lines dominated ours, and they did it last year too. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote