Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I think a lot of you have forgotten. . .
(10-24-2021, 11:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Regular season wins are meaningless.  We can't be happy about this win or enjoy any of this until we see if we win a playoff game this year.

So everyone wipe those smiles off your faces and go back to whining and moaning about THIRTY-ONE YEARS.

CryRantGaahCry

I think the popular message "championship or bust" or even "playoff victory or bust" is off base for fans.
If I were on the team and actually contributing to the team winning and losing, I would probably have a championship or bust attitude.

But as fans with zero impact on the outcome, I think "enjoying the process" is the best objective to have.
In that light, this game was meaningful.  I sure enjoy watching gameday highlights and listening to radio recaps a lot more when my team is winning.  I live in Hawaii.  My friends know I am a long suffering Bengal fan, but they text me after a win like this to say things like your team sure looked good today.  Wins like today make the fan process/experience enjoyable.  Even our Reds were competitive (peaking at 12 games over .500), but didn't make the playoffs (Sept was bad).  That didn't make the process of following the Reds all summer meaningless.  

Don't get me wrong, winning playoff games or World Series makes the process exponentially better, but it isn't everything.  I am almost 60.  I saw the Reds win a few WS, I saw the Bengals lose a couple Super Bowls.  My Hoosiers have won 3 NCAA bball championships...winning it all is the best, but as a fan it isn't everything.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Regular season wins are meaningless.  We can't be happy about this win or enjoy any of this until we see if we win a playoff game this year.

So everyone wipe those smiles off your faces and go back to whining and moaning about THIRTY-ONE YEARS.

CryRantGaahCry

I know you were being sarcastic and kidding, but this also gave some a chance to crawl back into their caves of gloom and doom.  After such a nice win, a chance to avoid being happy and throw themselves on the rocks of despair.  Like sands in the hour glass, so are the days of our lives.  The young and the restless. Remaining in their endless soap opera, even after such a nice win and being in First Place in the AFC North at 5-2. 

The good thing is you were kidding.  I'm very excited and pumped up over the best win since the 2015 season.  Enjoying such a great win.  I do admit I have an eye out for next week.  The Jets are hurting and The Bengals should beat them easily, except it is in The Meadowlands.  At New York or New Jersey.  The old problem of teams being flat after a big win.  5-2 is nice, but getting to 6-2 would be even better.  

But for now I will enjoy one of the nest wins in Bengals History, for after 5 years of having a lousy team, we have a pretty good team again. It's been a long 5 year wait from 2015 to 2021 for THE FANS.   Hopefully next week our Bengals take care of business and make it 6-2 on the season. 

GO BENGALS

Tiger

PS : I notice your Charles Bukowski quote. The things of his I would like to quote would get me barred forever. His short stories of drinking, gambling, sex ,going broke, taking lousy jobs and more drinking are rough and he curses like a sailor. Some of his stuff is very funny. Some of his stuff is very great short stories. Yes some of his best lines are so rough, I could never post them on here. When his books have titles such as, " Tales Of Ordinary Madness ", and story titles such as ' No Horse BLANK Horse Advise ', and BLANK is a deleted word...His are not the stories for The Woke Generation. One of his great lines is about how he had ignored the aches and pains of his drinking, until now in the hospital his aches and pains refused to be ignored. Besides a lot of curse words, there is some very good writing in some of his works, although some critics disagree. Some to me are very funny as Lenny Bruce or George Carlin. His funniest stuff too rough to be quoted. His books are not easy to find, but some book stores still dare to carry him. So I considered following your Bukowski quote with one that I would like, but it would have too many curse words. So I will just stick with my GO BENGALS ending.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Regular season wins are meaningless. We can't be happy about this win or enjoy any of this until we see if we win a playoff game this year.

CryRantGaahCry

Have you not seen the emotional roller coaster these fans ride play by play much less game to game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

CryRantGaahCry

It's OK Fred, I'm English...I get irony - sad that so many don't...loving your work Tongue
Reply/Quote
So which is worse the whining ? Or the whining about the whining ?
Reply/Quote
Bet you're a joy in real life too.
Reply/Quote

CryRantGaahCry

Who Dey? I think. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 06:56 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So which is worse the whining ? Or the whining about the whining ?

It's okay to be a woebegone Bengals fan, always. Whining or whining about the whining is okay. I believe in validating all Bengals fandom feelings. WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 05:24 AM)kevin Wrote: PS : I notice your Charles Bukowski quote.  The things of his I would like to quote would get me barred forever.  His short stories of drinking, gambling, sex ,going broke, taking lousy jobs and more drinking are rough and he curses like a sailor.  Some of his stuff is very funny.  Some of his stuff is very great short stories.  Yes some of his best lines are so rough, I could never post them on here.  When his books have titles such as, " Tales Of Ordinary Madness ",  and story titles such as ' No Horse BLANK Horse Advise ',  and BLANK is a deleted word...His are not the stories for The Woke Generation.  One of his great lines is about how he had ignored the aches and pains of his drinking, until now in the hospital his aches and pains refused to be ignored.  Besides a lot of curse words, there is some very good writing in some of his works, although some critics disagree.  Some to me are very funny as Lenny Bruce or George Carlin. His funniest stuff too rough to be quoted. His books are not easy to find, but some book stores still dare to carry him.  So I considered following your Bukowski quote with one that I would like, but it would have too many curse words.  So I will just stick with my GO BENGALS ending.

If you like Bukowski then you have to read John Fante.  A couple of his books have been made into movies ("Ask the Dust", "Wait Until Spring, Bandini"), but he is still not very well known.

Bukowski is both hilarious, and dead serious with his social commentary. One of my all time favorite authors.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 06:56 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So which is worse the whining ? Or the whining about the whining ?

It is not "Whining about whining".  It is responding to the pompous a-holes around here who claim that anyone who enjoys regular season wins is "accepting mediocrity".
Reply/Quote

CryRantGaahCry

LOL I love you Fred!  Seriously!
Reply/Quote
You only have to look at the stands to see that this is still the Bengal fan mindset. The most exciting Bengal team in 30 years and they're still not showing up.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 12:34 AM)motoarch Wrote: Get bent troll

You realize he's kidding right?

He's actually trolling the haters.....
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 01:28 PM)Stewy Wrote: You realize he's kidding right?

He's actually trolling the haters.....

I think you're confused.
Reply/Quote
I mean there are still ten games left.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 02:50 PM)motoarch Wrote: I think you're confused.

I think you don't understand fred
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 03:27 PM)Stewy Wrote: I think you don't understand fred

I understand him well.

I know who hes targeting and why.

He's a troll.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 03:30 PM)motoarch Wrote: I understand him well.

I know who hes targeting and why.

He's a troll.

Ah ok I understand you now.  Yes he was trolling the whiney haters/complainers.

The difference is it doesn't bother me, whereas obviously it does you.  Gotcha.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 03:34 PM)Stewy Wrote: Ah ok I understand you now.  Yes he was trolling the whiney haters/complainers.

The difference is it doesn't bother me, whereas obviously it does you.  Gotcha.

That's not inflammatory and ironic at all.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Regular season wins are meaningless. We can't be happy about this win or enjoy any of this until we see if we win a playoff game this year.

CryRantGaahCry

Is this one of those deals where you make up an imaginary group of haters to argue against because everything is going well and no one is complaining? Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote