Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think it is time...
I think it is time for the Bengals to move on from Marvin. I have tried to defend him for a few years now, but it has finally come full circle.

I think at some point we have to realize that he has taken the team as far as he could go. I saw an image on the Fox broadcast of last week's game against the Bill that was really telling. Since 2000, the top 4 tenured coaches are Belichick (2000), Lewis (2003), McCarthy (2006), and Payton (2006). The telling part of the image was that each of the other coaches had at least 1 SB win and Marvin has 0 playoff wins.

Don't get me wrong, I think Marvin has done an excellent job here changing the culture. We went from a bottom feeder to a playoff team. We eventually weeded out most of the clowns and criminals and finally have somewhat of a respectable roster. Arguably, we had one of the most talented rosters in all of football last couple of years. It has been exciting, but obviously Marvin couldn't get that elusive win.

And that is where I think we need to part ways with Marvin. He has taken this team and this culture as far as he could. I think it is time to hand the reins over to someone else. Fittingly enough, this scenario is shaping up like Dungy led Buccaneers in early 2000's. A team that was lead by a former defensive coordinator who was quiet and not very emotional, but could not get past that hump. They fire him after a playoff loss and bring in a firery, offensive minded coach who brings them to the promised land in Jon Gruden.

Do I think a Gruden-like candidate is out there? No, but I believe there are some that can do a similar job that he did. Do I think a simple coaching change will bring us a SB win in one year? No, but it is possible.

Ultimately, however, do I think Marvin Lewis can ever win a SB with this franchise? No.
Reply/Quote
I've been wanted him gone. Zero reason to keep a coach for 14 years with no playoff wins. And even when we were winning still needed to move forward. Broncos had the right mind set when it came to that. Needed to move forward to take the next step. We need to go get a coach from somewhere else. Closest thing we can get that models consistently is Josh McDaniels I believe he's ready to become a head coach again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Marvin has done a tremendous job for this organization, but yes it is time.

We need to make a move now, while our window is still open.
Reply/Quote
It is a change that needs to be made, but I fear many want change for the sake of change. I wish I had a nickel every time someone said that anyone but Marvin because there are more than enough people who could very quickly destroy this team to make them worse than the Browns. I truly hope that if Marvin is replaced it's by someone more capable and not several steps down.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 01:22 PM)ZWP Wrote: Marvin has done a tremendous job for this organization, but yes it is time.

We need to make a move now, while our window is still open.

absent major upgrade on o and D line the window is closed.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 01:44 PM)bengals67 Wrote: absent major upgrade on o and D line the window is closed.

Well hopefully Billings will help the D line.....
Reply/Quote
The more I think about potential candidates the more I come back to Josh McDaniels. Ohio native who has spent a lot of time working for Belichick. Clearly it didn't work out in Denver but that was 6-7 years ago, he might be ready to be a HC.

I will be optimistic about whoever the next HC is just so long as we don't hire from within.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 01:29 PM)grampahol Wrote: It is a change that needs to be made, but I fear many want change for the sake of change. I wish I had a nickel every time someone said that anyone but Marvin because there are more than enough people who could very quickly destroy this team to make them worse than the Browns. I truly hope that if Marvin is replaced it's by someone more capable and not several steps down.

I agree that you can't change just to change.  You better have someone in mind who you know is willing to come.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Whether you love him or hate him, when palmer quit on us, bells were going off that there was something seriously wrong. I mean, what qb does this? I dont blame it all on marvin because boomer wanted out too.

You have to wonder, were last years bengals good in spite of Marvin or because of him? Either way, for better or worse, its time to find out.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 02:15 PM)ZWP Wrote: The more I think about potential candidates the more I come back to Josh McDaniels. Ohio native who has spent a lot of time working for Belichick. Clearly it didn't work out in Denver but that was 6-7 years ago, he might be ready to be a HC.

I will be optimistic about whoever the next HC is just so long as we don't hire from within.

I agree. Josh McDaniels is my first choice too. I like him because I believe he will be a culture changing coach. For some reason the Bengals are notorious for not having an adaptive game plan, looking unprepared in prime time and playoff games, and underperforming in rivarly games...all things that the New England Patriots are known for. Unfortunately, the recent reports say McDaniels wants to wait out Belichick for the New England job.

McDaniels had some early success with the Broncos, but I think he made mistakes from the get go. He wanted to trade Cutler away for Cassel when he got there and it created a rift, not to mention that was also the time when Brandon Marshall was acting like a clown.
Reply/Quote
I think McDaniels would jump at the chance to take this job. Who knows how long Belichick plans on coaching, so he could be waiting for some time. Sit around and wait or take the HC job now in Cincy? I think he'd take this job. There are only 32 of these in the world. Look at Hue Jackson, Hue was gonna interview with the Giants, but he had a HC offer with the Browns, the friggin worst team in the league, and he jumped at the chance to be a HC.

I think for an offensive mind like McDaniels he would look and Dalton, Green, Eifert, Boyd, Bernard and Hill and see some really nice (and still young) pieces to work with.

Maybe I'm a homer but I think this is a very attractive job. And if for no other reason that there aren't many of these around.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 12:28 PM)ZWP Wrote: I think McDaniels would jump at the chance to take this job. Who knows how long Belichick plans on coaching, so he could be waiting for some time. Sit around and wait or take the HC job now in Cincy? I think he'd take this job. There are only 32 of these in the world. Look at Hue Jackson, Hue was gonna interview with the Giants, but he had a HC offer with the Browns, the friggin worst team in the league, and he jumped at the chance to be a HC.

I think for an offensive mind like McDaniels he would look and Dalton, Green, Eifert, Boyd, Bernard and Hill and see some really nice (and still young) pieces to work with.

Maybe I'm a homer but I think this is a very attractive job. And if for no other reason that there aren't many of these around.

I definitely think the Bengals would be an attractive job. This is a playoff caliber roster one year removed from nearly having the top overall seed in the AFC. McDaniels has stated for him to be HC elsewhere it would have to be the right place at the right time and I think we would be the only team to offer that. 

I expect the predicted vacancies in Jacksonville or Chicago will not be attractive. I doubt he would want to go to a division rival if New York Jets or Buffalo have vacancies. My big worry would be if Indianapolis decides to pursue a new HC. I think he would jump at the chance to work with Andrew Luck. 

Of course, us getting McDaniels is all predicated on Marvin stepping down. I cannot see a scenario where Mike fires him. He has done too much to turn this franchise around to be given the door like that. Then again, Mike made the mistakes of missing out on the likes of Zimmer and Jackson. I would hate to see him waste another offseason sticking with Marvin and seeing capable HC candidates go elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 03:17 PM)CincyWestside Wrote: I definitely think the Bengals would be an attractive job. This is a playoff caliber roster one year removed from nearly having the top overall seed in the AFC. McDaniels has stated for him to be HC elsewhere it would have to be the right place at the right time and I think we would be the only team to offer that. 

I expect the predicted vacancies in Jacksonville or Chicago will not be attractive. I doubt he would want to go to a division rival if New York Jets or Buffalo have vacancies. My big worry would be if Indianapolis decides to pursue a new HC. I think he would jump at the chance to work with Andrew Luck. 

Of course, us getting McDaniels is all predicated on Marvin stepping down. I cannot see a scenario where Mike fires him. He has done too much to turn this franchise around to be given the door like that. Then again, Mike made the mistakes of missing out on the likes of Zimmer and Jackson. I would hate to see him waste another offseason sticking with Marvin and seeing capable HC candidates go elsewhere.

Yeah let's be honest ... we all know Marvin will be back in 2017. Infuriating.
Reply/Quote