Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think we can all agree "Don't say this"...
But why? It's cringe worthy, but should it be?

Quote:“He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing,” Ryan said on San Francisco radio station KNBR’s “Murph & Mac Show" on Monday.

The guy was suspended one game which I was kind of surprised they didn't just fire him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/49ers-announcer-tim-ryan-suspended-over-dark-skin-comment-about-n1096376
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 10:09 AM)michaelsean Wrote: But why?  It's cringe worthy, but should it be?

The guy was suspended one game which I was kind of surprised they didn't just fire him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/49ers-announcer-tim-ryan-suspended-over-dark-skin-comment-about-n1096376

I think he meant it as an attribute something that helps him be good, I don't think it was intended as a racial slur. 
When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 07:18 PM)Vambo Wrote: I think he meant it as an attribute something that helps him be good, I don't think it was intended as a racial slur. 

This.  We live in such a state of a "gotcha" and "cancel" culture that folks look for any reason to "catch" someone doing or saying anything that might be able to be misconstrued as offensive, simply so that they can claim the credit for "outing" an offending party.

I listened to guys on sports talk radio, talking about this very incident.  I don't think that the man meant any malice with his statement.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 07:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This.  We live in such a state of a "gotcha" and "cancel" culture that folks look for any reason to "catch" someone doing or saying anything that might be able to be misconstrued as offensive, simply so that they can claim the credit for "outing" an offending party.

I listened to guys on sports talk radio, talking about this very incident.  I don't think that the man meant any malice with his statement.

I agree... But Dan Lebatard had me cracking up talking about it the other day. Lamar was had a sorta pedestrian game (did throw 3 TDs, but not his usual flare)... They were laughing because he was wearing white sleeves that day. Sayin' "Do it with the white sleeves or it doesn't count.".
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote