Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think we need a linebacker
If we really want a Superbowl team. Yes we need a center and maybe a right tackle. But 4 games for Burfict that's not including when he comes back and if he knocks out juju. They can do us really dirty and suspend him for the year. So I really like the Alabama linebacker. Leighton Vander esch I'm iffy on. Who else is out there that can potentially be a star. Sad to say but for the Bengals to win we need a straight up stacked team. If burfict is in there then even better,we will have a elite linebacker unit. Like the Broncos had when they won it.
Reply/Quote
Edmunds, if he's available....
Reply/Quote
Been saying this all off season. However the patriots won it two years ago and went to the ship this year running basically only two linebacker sets both years...that’s why Collins was shipped out. But Burfict is one hit away from leaving us with brown vigil Rey and Evans that’s hot garbage so imo we need to address linebacker with a potential stud early rd pick to brace for the inevitable with burfict and or the future.. scary to think about but if we wanna make a run it’s not gonna be with brown Vogel rey and Evans. We will be home come January again. I won’t go linebacker before center tho, unless someone falls to us or we love Rashaan Evans enough for 21...which I doubt. But I like the value of Darius Leonard in rd 3.
Reply/Quote
We do, and we will get one early. Probably 2 given Brown is only signed for a year.

We all love Burfict, but we can't count on him. That's just what it is at this point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Think most think LB and OL is our biggest needs.

Said it before but will say it again

Edmunds or Wynn in first if dropping to us,

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 08:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Edmunds, if he's available....

I doubt he will be
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 08:47 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Been saying this all off season.  However the patriots won it two years ago and went to the ship this year running basically only two linebacker sets both years...that’s why Collins was shipped out. But Burfict is one hit away from leaving us with brown vigil Rey and Evans that’s hot garbage so imo we need to address linebacker with a potential stud early rd pick to brace for the inevitable with burfict and or the future.. scary to think about but if we wanna make a run it’s not gonna be with brown Vogel rey and Evans.  We will be home come January again.  I won’t go linebacker before center tho, unless someone falls to us or we love Rashaan Evans enough for 21...which I doubt.  But I like the value of Darius Leonard in rd 3.

Yeah the pats can get to the Superbowl with a bad ddefense I doubt we could. I don't really see a good linebacker in the 2nd unless Lorenzo Carter can be one? Not sure he's listed as a edge.
Reply/Quote
[quote='jj22' pid='530488' dateline='1521637581'
We all love Burfict, but we can't count on him. That's just what it is at this point.
[/quote]

I don’t. His antics wore on me along time ago. He’s awesome when he’s not suspended or healing from a concussion that’s probably his own fault for tackling with his head, a head too stupid to protect itself.

Despite so many people blaming hill for our 2015 melt down I blame burfict. He went from game MVP to loser in a span of 3 minutes. Screw him im done with him. I was done with him when tried twisting ankles in the panthers game a few years ago.
Reply/Quote
jj22 Wrote:We do, and we will get one early. Probably 2 given Brown is only signed for a year.

I agree that this is likely the view.  I've noticed that when you read through scouting reports there are a lot of guys in the top/middle that are raw WLB types that either haven't played as much or haven't showed the instincts.  You take the best LB regardless of being NFL ready, but for those hoping for a rookie to get PT this still may not be the year.  They like Vinny's versatility enough to not cut, will likely be stubborn to "make" Vigil work out and Jordan Evans should have a leg up on the types listed above.  

On the surface, it's easy to look at the position and ask "how can they NOT take a rookie high?"  Well, they still have the starting C, a lot of maybes at RT (surprised this isn't getting more attention in the forums), tend to take a DL early/will want to protect themselves from the stars leaving AND can be tempted by BPA otherwise.  Though they should take a LB early, don't be shocked if they don't end up with a LB until that 4th round pick even.  It seems like after the first 4 there is a significant gap but a lot of depth to the mid round guys.  That could still play to their advantage to get some stability at LB.  

Edmunds won't drop to 21, and Smith is likely a BPA that is gone by 21.  If he's still around, I hope they did their homework on him.  So this is what I could see.  I HATE mocking positions (we need a DT in the 1st, RB in the 2nd, etc...) but going off of history and the depth of the class, right now it could seriously go:

1. Tackle McGlinchey/C.Williams/B.O'Neill/K.Miller 
It really depends on how they have them ranked.  I understand that we're hearing more about drafting a center early (since they let Bodine walk) but historically they give priority to this high dollar position.  Safe money may be center and going with those maybes at RT (Fisher in the lead) but if they really like a kid here I think they'll take him.  McGlinchey would be a blessing that could help set the whole line.  He's very NFL ready and would allow Fisher to be a super sub.  The other three are ALL OVER the place on most scouting sites, so it's possible for the Bengals to value the group similarly and put them 

2. C Price/Ragnow 
One of the centers are likely off the board by Cincy's 2nd, and a big domino on Cincy's board could be Ragnow.  If they like him enough to qualify him for the pick (is he truly a BPA at a position of need?), then they could feel more secure about not reaching for a similar talent in the 1st.  I think Joseph gets taken, but if his well rounded game or Price's mauling style makes their heart melt then Cincy takes them in the 1st.  I'm going to mock that Price is the pick with Ragnow as a fallback.  If they go with a different position, they're then looking at moving a prospect or more likely a current player (Westerman).  Worst case, they'll get a guy like Joe Looney (C/G & a Pollack guy) after the draft.    

Then if you look at the guys available in the 3rd, look at the board mocks.  There is A LOT of variety here, so maybe Cincy's board is broad as well.  You'll notice that there are A LOT of DE and DE/UT types that could easily be drafted to replace MJ and that they may need to lean on if that thing happens that we don't want to talk about.  

So in conclusion, if I had to wager when the Bengals will actually take a LB it may be that comp 3rd (maybe even the 4th) where they take their favorite of like ranked players.  You may not land your every down LB here, but the rarity of that type of LB may be what is promoting prospects like Vander Esch and Evans.  So even if they have to take a situational guy like Fred Warner, they've already shown a change in philosophy with Carl Lawson's PT.  No longer will they look and say we already have a nickle LB type in Jordan Evans, but embrace that competition and depth is a good thing even when it comes to perceived situational guys.  There is actually so much depth that they could end up with a WLB to develop and a versatile LB with one of the 5th round picks.  
Reply/Quote
I think a lot of people are writing off Jordan Evans a little quickly. He was making strides towards the end of last year. I am eager to see what his sophomore season brings. (I still want Edmunds though)
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 12:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think a lot of people are writing off Jordan Evans a little quickly. He was making strides towards the end of last year. I am eager to see what his sophomore season brings. (I still want Edmunds though)

I think we can write him off as star player,role player at best.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 12:01 PM)motoarch Wrote: I don’t.  His antics wore on me along time ago.  He’s awesome when he’s not suspended or healing from a concussion that’s probably his own fault for tackling with his head, a head too stupid to protect itself.

Despite so many people blaming hill for our 2015 melt down I blame burfict.  He went from game MVP to loser in a span of 3 minutes.  Screw him im done with him.  I was done with him when tried twisting ankles in the panthers game a few years ago.

You leave out the fact that Burfict was the best Bengal player on the field in that playoff game.  The hit on Brown was not a cheap shot unless you're a Steeler fan.  It was a bang bang play, trying to prevent a receiver from making a catch.  Adam Jones was the much bigger culprit.  His foul did not come when making a football play and it was the one that made the winning FG makeable.

As to ankle twisting et al.  It's football, Nancy.  I played RB in HS.  (four TD's in one game).  I got poked in the eye, popped in the nuts.  One guy tried to give me a wedgie under the pile.  Another guy tries to pull two fo my fingers right off my hand.  And that was just HS.  It happens.  Burfict just isn't good enough at not getting caught.   None of that shit bothers me in the least.  It goes on every play, every game.  Guys constantly hit each other after the whistle.  The POS officiating crew, the embarrassingly bad zebras, are just selective as to who gets flagged and when.

Good for you thinking high road, all judgmental on your high horse and all.

Burfict gives way more than he takes away.  You can't get nearly enough value in a trade for him and if you cut him, he's signed elsewhere in about ten seconds.  And then his dubious suspensions would mysteriously go away.

He has issues, for sure, and he probably is his own worst enemy, but no one on this team can give you what he does.   I believe it makes a lot of sense to have a better LB crew around him so, if he can't play, you aren't sending bums out there.  But the idea of getting rid of him is just plain stoopid.

And, btw, pretty sure he was not tackling with his head when he got his last concussion, a fact you conveniently left out of your rant.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Hard telling what obscure video of some potential big time draft pick of him beating his grandma up in high school will emerge between now and draft day with Mikey in the background doing his song and dance routine of how he believes said player's problems are all behind him .. 
Strange how I'm almost hoping some player we all want, but don't have a chance of getting will emerge as the bad guy draft pick of 2018.. 
Is it too late to root for 'the video' to come to the fore to get our next stud player? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 12:35 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I think we can write him off as star player,role player at best.

With as little as he played in his first year, I don't think anyone can legitimately make that assumption.
Reply/Quote
Edmunds and Smith will be long gone by 21. Jordan Evans still needs some time but I think he will be a keeper.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 12:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think a lot of people are writing off Jordan Evans a little quickly. He was making strides towards the end of last year. I am eager to see what his sophomore season brings. (I still want Edmunds though)

I am tending to agree with you, maybe even Vigil, who was playing on a bad wheel before they sat him down.  I would love to grab an early rd LB, but I don't think it will happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 01:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: With as little as he played in his first year, I don't think anyone can legitimately make that assumption.

Never underestimate certain fans ability to find the most mundane reasons to think any player is unworthy of even taking out the trash . 
Huh? They single handedly won multiple super bowls, but he once got caught popping a zit into the bathroom mirror at 14 years old!  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 12:37 PM)McC Wrote: You leave out the fact that Burfict was the best Bengal player on the field in that playoff game.  The hit on Brown was not a cheap shot unless you're a Steeler fan.  It was a bang bang play, trying to prevent a receiver from making a catch.  Adam Jones was the much bigger culprit.  His foul did not come when making a football play and it was the one that made the winning FG makeable.

As to ankle twisting et al.  It's football, Nancy.  I played RB in HS.  (four TD's in one game).  I got poked in the eye, popped in the nuts.  One guy tried to give me a wedgie under the pile.  Another guy tries to pull two fo my fingers right off my hand.  And that was just HS.  It happens.  Burfict just isn't good enough at not getting caught.   None of that shit bothers me in the least.  It goes on every play, every game.  Guys constantly hit each other after the whistle.  The POS officiating crew, the embarrassingly bad zebras, are just selective as to who gets flagged and when.

Good for you thinking high road, all judgmental on your high horse and all.

Burfict gives way more than he takes away.  You can't get nearly enough value in a trade for him and if you cut him, he's signed elsewhere in about ten seconds.  And then his dubious suspensions would mysteriously go away.

He has issues, for sure, and he probably is his own worst enemy, but no one on this team can give you what he does.   I believe it makes a lot of sense to have a better LB crew around him so, if he can't play, you aren't sending bums out there.  But the idea of getting rid of him is just plain stoopid.

And, btw, pretty sure he was not tackling with his head when he got his last concussion, a fact you conveniently left out of your rant.

https://goo.gl/images/yJ7c4f
So instead of tough hard hitting football you’re arguing in defense of tactics that are for cowards.

Cool good for you al bundy.

You’re logic and argument is so flawed and so stupid it doesn’t deserve any further acknowledgement.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 01:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I am tending to agree with you, maybe even Vigil, who was playing on a bad wheel before they sat him down.  I would love to grab an early rd LB, but I don't think it will happen.

My problem with Vigil is his tackling. He is very good at instinctively diagnosing the play and getting to the spot, only to whiff or have his tackle broken. If he can improve his tackling, he will be a decent NFL LB.
Reply/Quote
Marvin fancies himself the LB whisperer and likes to take mid to late round players with raw talent. Look for somebody like Matthew Thomas out of FSU or the kid from Central Florida
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote