Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
I think we should trade Dalton and Green
(01-07-2019, 12:46 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm really not defensive about anything my friend.  If you'll read back in this thread, I'm for trading/cutting everyone if we're going full rebuild.  If the new guy thinks he can win with what we have, then so be it.  Having said that, you know all to well that even the best players will ultimately fail if coaching doesn't put them in the best position to win, or doesn't adapt to player strenghts; i.e., shoving round pegs in square holes.  Look at Pig Pen's first SB win....he had a 35 passer rating. Mellow  Marvin was a mediocre HC at best.  At the first sign of adversity over the years, like INTs or fumbles, his teams folded.  Then they melted down when they had one in the bag.

I can go either way, full on rebuild, or giving these guys another shot with fresh ideas.  There's no denying the team has major holes now, but in years past, that was not the case.  His record against Pitt is almost unfathomable.  Now there's talk of him going there.

EDIT:  Look at our own history at what Sam Wyche did against a team full of HOFers in the SB with his QB nursing a bum shoulder, and his starting NT going out early.  That's what I'm getting at here....innovation.  We lost.....but Sam's innovative ideas made a team with one HOFer a juggernaut for a stretch.

Yea, it does play a big part. I guess what I am saying is I am not so sure it's as cookie cutter as we believe. I can go either way as well. I think one year with the new HC would be a better idea. See what they can do. But idk... just seems like so many holes to fill that I am not sure how much a new HC can really elevate this team without nailing a few positions in the meantime. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 01:35 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yea, it does play a big part. I guess what I am saying is I am not so sure it's as cookie cutter as we believe. I can go either way as well. I think one year with the new HC would be a better idea. See what they can do. But idk... just seems like so many holes to fill that I am not sure how much a new HC can really elevate this team without nailing a few positions in the meantime. 

If it were me, I'd part with Burfict, let some contracts expire and use that money to address at one least one large hole in FA, if not more.  Then, you'll absolutely need to nail the draft at another hole.  We know what we need....RT, and at least one good LB.  A RG, and another LB would be nice too.  Go from there and see what shakes out.  This team is not that good, but I don't feel it's 6-10 bad either....injuries notwithstanding.  A few nice pieces added, and fresh, innovative offensive minded coach, and they could surprise a few folks.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 01:32 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I'd have AJ way down the list myself as well. But if AJ says he doesn't want to play with a rookie QB, then what? 

That's just another thing, AJ would never say that. He is a Superstar that is a quality team first guy....
Reply/Quote
Dalton - yes. Because he's just not good enough to outplay bad situations, and it's a lot more difficult to win when that's the case

Green - hell no. He's still great and is a key part to the team. He doesn't have tooooooo much money put into him and the team loves him
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 01:32 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I'd have AJ way down the list myself as well. But if AJ says he doesn't want to play with a rookie QB, then what? 

When has AJ ever said this kind of thing?  When has he ever voiced anything resembling a complaint?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 10:51 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think everyone knows I'm a big Dalton homer but I think we should move on from him and Green. I think we can build a team around them, but Green is getting older and injury prone and Dalton will probably trade for a good amount of value. We could fill some pretty big holes we have on the team right now. We would probably be able to have 3 first round picks the next couple of drafts and maybe the same with 2nd rounder with them. I think that we could draft Haskins and build our OL up. Be more of a running offense for a year or two to help Haskins develop. I think it will also help the new HC build a team that he wants and get rid of any Lewis stink we have left.

I mean, when i first read the title of your thread i didn't like the thought cause i love AJ Green and am also a fan of Dalton but if the new HC wants HIS QB who am i to question and you are correct Green is getting older. Whatever the new coach wants to do is what i am for and if this is what he wants to do to make it his team so be it.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 04:38 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Dalton - yes. Because he's just not good enough to outplay bad situations, and it's a lot more difficult to win when that's the case

Green - hell no. He's still great and is a key part to the team. He doesn't have tooooooo much money put into him and the team loves him

Green has never outplayed any more bad situations than Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 08:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Green has never outplayed any more bad situations than Dalton.

He had Dalton as his QB so there's that
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 10:35 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Are we playing for participation trophies or Super Bowls?

Last time I checked, hasn't AJ and AD had three straight losing seasons as well? Or are we placing that all on ML & MB even tho they never played a down of football? Didn't AD and AJ also go win-less in the PO here?

You would have a point if the rest of the team showed up for PT and PO games with the emphasis being on PT games here - and then that being the case with all the other rosters before those 2 even got here.

PO performance is just a extension of Marvin's terrible PT performance.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 01:47 AM)eoxyod Wrote: He had Dalton as his QB so there's that

I was thinking more along the lines of "outplaying bad situations" is just a made up meaningless phrase that can't be applied to any single individual.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 08:26 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: You would have a point if the rest of the team showed up for PT and PO games with the emphasis being on PT games here - and then that being the case with all the other rosters before those 2 even got here.

PO performance is just a extension of Marvin's terrible PT performance.

Yes, once we were in the Playoffs everybody imploded and didn't play well. Cannot put it on one player here or there. This is on Marv, it isn't Mikey Boy's job to coach the team when they get into the Playoffs, this is Marv's job and why we needed to move on from the guy so badly.

With a new coach we might actually have a chance once we get into the Playoffs.
Reply/Quote