Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I thought I saw Blocking against Miami
(08-29-2021, 09:46 PM)kevin Wrote: See, you are talking Pass Blocking.  I am talking Running Lanes, and NO, I have not seen Running Lanes out of this team in Years, but I thought I saw some Today against Miami. 

The Reason I am focused on Running Lanes is that Bengals can not try to have Joe Burrow try to lead the NFL in Pass Attempts as they tried to do last year. Burrow will end up back in The Hospital and have a short career like Greg Cook. 

So I'm NOT talking pass blocking.  I'm talking RUN BLOCKING, and I thought I finally saw some Running Lanes and Runners having a chance to pound the rock.  MIXON is also on this team, and it should not be Pass, Pass, Pass until Joe Burrow gets clobbered again.  FIRE off the Line, Open a Lane, Give Mixon a hole to run through.  I thought I saw THAT type of RUN BLOCKING Today. I hope so. RUN BLOCKING is THE KEY to this team Winning or Losing.  RUN BLOCKING eats clock and that makes Defense give up less points. RUN  BLOCKING keeps Burrow from having to pass every play until some defensive monster ends his career early and forever.

I SAW NO RUN BLOCKING AGAINST TAMPA...NONE....NO RUNNING LANES AT ALL. ...Today was Better.....If this awful O Line over that last 4 seasons can get it together in 2021, This Team Can Win....And I Want This Team To Win....I don't want to see Burrow become the NFL punching Bag just because Bengals can not Run Block.....But Today, I thought I saw Run Blocking.

Interesting debate for the coaches.  I haven't received the PFF scores for Miami yet, but to my naked eye and from earlier in the preseason, the younger guys like Carman and Smith have been really good in their run blocking but get beat on occasion by the pass rush.  Whereas the established veterans like XSF and Spain are better in their pass blocking but not as good in run blocking.  

Clearly, from a Burrow protection standpoint, pass blocking is more important and they throw the ball more than they run it.  Still, it is an interesting debate.   
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If they can't pass block, the opposing team then just stacks the box and no matter how good your run blocking is, they can stop the run. As others point out so often, this is a passing league. We have to be able to pass block first.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If they can't pass block, the opposing team then just stacks the box and no matter how good your run blocking is, they can stop the run. As others point out so often, this is a passing league. We have to be able to pass block first.

Zac Taylor seems to have zero interest in developing a run game and I think this is a colossal error.

Tampa Bay: Pass 29 Run 35 WIN

Washington: Pass 27 Run 24 LOSS

Miami: Pass 37 Run 29 LOSS
Reply/Quote
Admittedly it's a "prove it" contract year for Price, but he's looked like a completely different animal under Pollack. And Carman has been steadily improving throughout preseason. He was one of the highest graded players on offense yesterday.

Looks like the sky might not be falling after all.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 12:11 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Admittedly it's a "prove it" contract year for Price, but he's looked like a completely different animal under Pollack.

That’s the truth. It’s almost like coaching makes a difference…
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 10:50 PM)Benton Wrote: ... which led to us throwing the ball way more than we should have, which ended the season. 

And I'm not sure why giving up only one preseason sack is an indicator we've improved our pass protection. 

Well, it hasn’t happened in 8 years, and I certainly like these results better than those 2019 numbers (which were an indicator of what was to come).

Reply/Quote