Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I thought this had to be a spoof..
Here we have a museum, a supposed beacon of cultural heritage, appearing to be tone deaf on 'sensitive issues' to parts of our population.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/children-s-museum-apologizes-for-selling-juneteenth-watermelon-salad/ar-AAY8dwr?bk=1&ocid=msedgntp&cvid=88fb73c775d7429e83e730ea4a51e1d3

Quote:The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis on Friday invited people to its upcoming “Juneteenth Jamboree,” promising live performances, a showcase of local artists and other activities. In the Facebook invitation, staff did not mention a dish the museum was selling to mark the June 19 holiday: a “Juneteenth Watermelon Salad.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Well, the spokesperson for the museum conceded it was a bad idea and changed course. Ideally, no one ever suggests or comes with stupid or bad ideas, but meh, it's nice to see some people can still say "my bad, let's undo this."
Reply/Quote
What is "white people planning diversity events Alek?"
Reply/Quote
Guess I really don't understand this as being racial. I know the historical jokes linked but seriously, who doesn't like watermelon? Does this mean they shouldn't have a stand that sells chicken either? It would be more offensive serving traditional white people foods such as mac&cheese, Casseroles, and turkey sandwiches and saltine crackers IMO.

I hate how the article says several of the hundreds of commenters were offended. Ok, like, what do they consider several? 3 or more is considered several (I guess I should be pleased they refrained from using a lot).

There was no reason for this museum to apologize. Damn, we have become such a ridiculous people. We are our own worst enemy.

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 12:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Guess I really don't understand this as being racial. I know the historical jokes linked  but seriously, who doesn't like watermelon? Does this mean they shouldn't have a stand that sells chicken either? It would be more offensive serving traditional white people foods such as mac&cheese, Casseroles, and turkey sandwiches and saltine crackers IMO.

I hate how the article says several of the hundreds of commenters were offended. Ok, like, what do they consider several? 3 or more is considered several (I guess I should be pleased they refrained from using a lot).

There was no reason for this museum to apologize. Damn, we have become such a ridiculous people. We are our own worst enemy.

I agree Harley

I didn't read the whole article. But to me it's a least a bit of a stretch to get something racial out of serving a watermelon dish. Like you say what's next ? Closing all restaurants that serve fried chicken ?

I bought a watermelon just a couple days ago and it's pretty good. A racial thought never crossed my mind while buying or eating it.

And a bunch of this crap is ridiculous !
Reply/Quote
I can't wait until i'm not allowed to have enchiladas and margaritas on cinco de mayo
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 11:04 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: What is "white people planning diversity events Alek?"

Why do so many people think his name was Alec?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 01:36 PM)basballguy Wrote: I can't wait until i'm not allowed to have enchiladas and margaritas on cinco de mayo

I have no idea how that isn't considered cultural appropriation among all the things labeled that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 02:18 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I have no idea how that isn't considered cultural appropriation among all the things labeled that.

Most likely because Latino folks love to share their culture with others. (Not to mention, they make a pretty fair profit from it.)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 03:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Most likely because Latino folks love to share their culture with others. (Not to mention, they make a pretty fair profit from it.)

Quote:According to Nielsen, in 2013 more than $600 million worth of beer was purchased in the United States for Cinco de Mayo, more than for the Super Bowl or St. Patrick's Day.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
[In response to baseballguy]

People do love their Two X's and Coronavirus.
Reply/Quote
I love stereotypes.

Nick Kroll as his Fabrice Fabrice character . . .
"You know who likes fried chicken? Black people . . . You know who also likes fried chicken? Everybody."
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 01:36 PM)basballguy Wrote: I can't wait until i'm not allowed to have enchiladas and margaritas on cinco de mayo

I can't wait until I'm not allowed to play my Streisand albums during gay pride month. 

After I posted this I realized Trump is probably "dancing" to YMCA at some rally somewhere.  
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 05:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't wait until I'm not allowed to play my Streisand albums during gay pride month. 

After I posted this I realized Trump is probably "dancing" to YMCA at some rally somewhere.  

Streisand, really?  I always took you for a Celine Dion type of guy..  Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 08:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Streisand, really?  I always took you for a Celine Dion type of guy..  Cool

I should have said the Ethyl Mermann Disco Album. I think that one is super popular with the gays. 
Reply/Quote
It's situations like this where you just have to ask "Is there a single black person on whatever team is making decisions like this?"
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 08:47 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's situations like this where you just have to ask "Is there a single black person on whatever team is making decisions like this?"

Maybe there is and he said screw the optics, I like watermelon. 

This is just another area where it's easy to be white.  No one is afraid to offer me a delicious cannoli. 
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 08:47 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's situations like this where you just have to ask "Is there a single black person on whatever team is making decisions like this?"

Or really is there anyone there at all?  "I have no doubt that you have no intention of offending anyone, but I just wanted to remind you that there is a stereotype of black people and watermelon.  How about a honeydew salad?  Or maybe we can just skip the whole melon family altogether."

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 10:13 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe there is and he said screw the optics, I like watermelon. 

This is just another area where it's easy to be white.  No one is afraid to offer me a delicious cannoli. 

As long as you're not forcing a monkey to milk a cocoanut, eat whatever you like.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This definitely reminds me of this gem that I ran into a few years back:

[Image: 17880361_410232599341851_782236494105498...e=62C4C404]
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote