Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I've had enough of Preston brown and nick vigil..
(10-07-2019, 01:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm working on a mock offseason right now that I think you'll enjoy very much.

I am 100% certain we will be mocking the Bengals offseason
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
From Hobson’s Quick Hits:

-Another tough one for the defense. They did a good job in the red zone holding the Cards to one touchdown in six red-zone tries. But they also gave up the 15th most yards in team history with 514. The Bengals have allowed 500 yards in their history 25 times, five of them in the last 15 games. On Sunday they allowed 266 rushing yards, eighth most in history. And four different receivers had catches of at least 23 yards. Plus, they had just one sack, meaning they’ve had two sacks in the four games since the opener.

Something, ANYTHING, has to change on this defense. They are failing at every level. Can’t stop the run, can’t pass rush and can’t defend the pass. At this point sell out to stop the run at least.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 03:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Gotta say, I've not been impressed with recent Ohio St OL from the past few years.

I'm not saying this to crap on OSU, but I can't remember a single quality NFL OL starter coming out of there since Tressel took over for Cooper.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 04:33 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm not saying this to crap on OSU, but I can't remember a single quality NFL OL starter coming out of there since Tressel took over for Cooper.

Taylor Decker is playing solid and Corey Linsley has been ok for GB, but they sure haven't produced dominant OL in a long time.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 04:31 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: From Hobson’s Quick Hits:

-Another tough one for the defense. They did a good job in the red zone holding the Cards to one touchdown in six red-zone tries. But they also gave up the 15th most yards in team history with 514. The Bengals have allowed 500 yards in their history 25 times, five of them in the last 15 games. On Sunday they allowed 266 rushing yards, eighth most in history. And four different receivers had catches of at least 23 yards. Plus, they had just one sack, meaning they’ve had two sacks in the four games since the opener.

Something, ANYTHING, has to change on this defense. They are failing at every level. Can’t stop the run, can’t pass rush and can’t defend the pass. At this point sell out to stop the run at least.

I think they would best succeed with the following deployment:

DL: Lawson, Dunlap, Billings (Brown in nickel), Atkins, Hubbard
LB: Pratt, Evans
DB: WJ3, DK, Bates, Williams
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It's been weird when #55 stands out and you don't know who the hell he is.

This LB core is so bad.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 04:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think they would best succeed with the following deployment:

I saw Evans get outrun around the edge by David Johnson, so not sure his game speed is as good as his 40-time suggested.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 05:49 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I saw Evans get outrun around the edge by David Johnson, so not sure his game speed is as good as his 40-time suggested.

He was pretty bad last year too. I don't see him being the answer.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 04:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think they would best succeed with the following deployment:

Honestly they need to go back to a standard 4-3 and stop trying to be so cute.

The notion that our DL was so stacked with star talent that we simply had to keep them is almost as laughable that a second level with only 2 LB's is the way ahead.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 04:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Taylor Decker is playing solid and Corey Linsley has been ok for GB, but they sure haven't produced dominant OL in a long time.

Yeah, and Decker has a PFF grade of 64 and Linsley 58.  They would still sadly be our 3rd and 4th highest graded OL behind Hopkins and Jerry, though.

Another point of frustration is that Ogbuehi was yet another in a long line of bust Texas A&M T's.

OL isn't how it used to be where you could get serviceable rookie starters in the 3rd fairly regularly.  It's hitting the point where there seems to be a higher bust rate for OL than QB's in the 1st anymore.  If we're going to build OL through the draft, we need to zero in on prospects who are coming from pro style offenses and come from programs with a history of success at producing NFL starters.

But 31 is ridiculously bad.  By comparison, Andre Smith is graded out at 50 and Hart 49, and they are both miles better than Jordan.  Even Redmond would be a significant upgrade at LG.  I understand letting youngsters play through their struggles to a point, but he's just getting clubbed like a baby seal out there. 
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 07:20 PM)Whatever Wrote: Yeah, and Decker has a PFF grade of 64 and Linsley 58.  They would still sadly be our 3rd and 4th highest graded OL behind Hopkins and Jerry, though.

Another point of frustration is that Ogbuehi was yet another in a long line of bust Texas A&M T's.

OL isn't how it used to be where you could get serviceable rookie starters in the 3rd fairly regularly.  It's hitting the point where there seems to be a higher bust rate for OL than QB's in the 1st anymore.  If we're going to build OL through the draft, we need to zero in on prospects who are coming from pro style offenses and come from programs with a history of success at producing NFL starters.

But 31 is ridiculously bad.  By comparison, Andre Smith is graded out at 50 and Hart 49, and they are both miles better than Jordan.  Even Redmond would be a significant upgrade at LG.  I understand letting youngsters play through their struggles to a point, but he's just getting clubbed like a baby seal out there. 

Gee...this long line of Texas A&M busts...who was their line coach there?  Hilarious 

'It will be Turner’s third stint of service at Texas A&M, having served as offensive line coach for Mike Sherman from 2008-11 and then returning for two more seasons under Kevin Sumlin from 2016-17.

A veteran of more than 20 seasons of coaching experience at all levels of football, Turner has developed multiple NFL offensive linemen at Texas A&M including NFL first-round selections Luke Joeckel, Jake Matthews and Cedric Ogbuehi.'
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 07:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Gee...this long line of Texas A&M busts...who was their line coach there?  Hilarious 

'It will be Turner’s third stint of service at Texas A&M, having served as offensive line coach for Mike Sherman from 2008-11 and then returning for two more seasons under Kevin Sumlin from 2016-17.

A veteran of more than 20 seasons of coaching experience at all levels of football, Turner has developed multiple NFL offensive linemen at Texas A&M including NFL first-round selections Luke Joeckel, Jake Matthews and Cedric Ogbuehi.'

Well, can't say the guy can't polish a turd, I guess.
Reply/Quote
Vigil looks like a LB but has zero instincts for the game. How bad could Malik Jefferson have been to be cut when this is the best LBs we have.
Reply/Quote
Dam guys is there anything good. The water boy. Trainer? Coach says stick around because come some day it will just click and then it will be fun. New day. I am on pin and needles waiting for fun.
In Mike and Zac we trust.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 07:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Gee...this long line of Texas A&M busts...who was their line coach there?  Hilarious 

Turner does suck, but coaching Ogbuehi for a season doesn't scream that he's the guy who developed him. His resume is bad enough without embellishing it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 04:33 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm not saying this to crap on OSU, but I can't remember a single quality NFL OL starter coming out of there since Tressel took over for Cooper.

That Nick Mangold guy really sucked.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Watching browns and so glad we didn't take Mack Wilson before he was drafted in the 5th. He is to young only 21, has way to much speed for a LB and will not stop tackling the other team. We don't need that crap around here.
Reply/Quote
Really. Who does not love seeing Billings falling back into coverage. We need more of that. He takes up some real estate.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 09:55 PM)jason Wrote: That Nick Mangold guy really sucked.

I forgot about Nick.  Still, that was over a decade ago.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 09:42 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: Dam guys is there anything good. The water boy. Trainer?  Coach says stick around because come some day it will just click and then it will be fun.  New day.   I am on pin and needles waiting for fun.  
In Mike and Zac we trust.

There isn't much to be happy about. The only thing really that was exciting so far this season was Ross and he's on IR now. I guess about the only other thing positive is Sam Hubbard is on pace for 9-10 sacks this season.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote