Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I've had enough of Preston brown and nick vigil..
(10-07-2019, 06:07 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Honestly they need to go back to a standard 4-3 and stop trying to be so cute.

The notion that our DL was so stacked with star talent that we simply had to keep them is almost as laughable that a second level with only 2 LB's is the way ahead.

I can understand that if the Bengals had decent LB depth but they don't. They do have 5 good DL though in Billings, Atkins, Dunlap, Hubbard, and Lawson.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Never speak ill of the almighty "Rat Tail Boy" Vigil, may his fashion and football awareness bestow you....

[Image: 8613848.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 09:57 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Watching browns and so glad we didn't take Mack Wilson before he was drafted in the 5th. He is to young only 21, has way to much speed for a LB and will not stop tackling the other team. We don't need that crap around here.

Yep, that would have been a real bummer....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 01:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think it the Scheme that Sweet Lou runs that makes players look bad.  Brown needs a box.  5-1-5 or 5-2-4 or 4-2-5 does not work with the personnel.  Dre absolutely is horrible in space.  WJ3 has regressed and Vigil takes poor angles to the ball.  I think the Backer coach and secondary coaches need to be re-evaluated at the end of year.

Anarumo needs to go back being a DB coach.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 01:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Anarumo needs to go back being a DB coach.

I listened to players interviewed by McCalister and Lap and they say Sweet Lou is tough on them, gets on them non-stop and that the secondary is making mistakes in reads even when the coaches warn them of upcoming play.  

It could be his defense is too complex for them even though it is ostensibly easier compared to Lewis's defense.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 10:00 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I can understand that if the Bengals had decent LB depth but they don't. They do have 5 good DL though in Billings, Atkins, Dunlap, Hubbard, and Lawson.

It was their decision to run with the LB numbers they have, it was their decision not to go get LB's in FA or top of draft.

We have terrible talent on the OL but no-one is suggesting we only play 4 on the O Line most plays even though we only have 2.5 decent/good players!
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 02:23 PM)sonofstat Wrote: It was their decision to run with the LB numbers they have, it was their decision not to go get LB's in FA or top of draft.

We have terrible talent on the OL but no-one is suggesting we only play 4 on the O Line most plays even though we only have 2.5 decent/good players!

Well that's kind of mandated because you must have at least 7 players lined up on the LOS and only the two at the ends of the LOS are permitted to be eligible receivers. So yes, I guess technically you could have a non-OL line up on the LOS and be used purely to block but the TEs have not been good at blocking either so you don't really have another option besides OL.

I agree though, it was dumb for the Bengals to go so light on LBs, especially given the lack of talent at the LB position.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Looks like OP might get his wish. Reading between the lines, looks like they're going to let Pratt get his lumps.

https://www.bengals.com/news/defense-eyes-a-jolt-from-youth

Reply/Quote
This is funny. It makes it sound like Brown and Vigil are just some great run stoppers:

'Speed is Pratt’s game, too, and Anarumo is trying to balance that desperate need with the even more desperate need of production against the run. But it may be time to live and learn.

You can understand Anarumo’s dilemma. He needs the speed, but he doesn’t need the young mistakes that result in big runs. Especially the longer the game goes.'
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 04:33 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm not saying this to crap on OSU, but I can't remember a single quality NFL OL starter coming out of there since Tressel took over for Cooper.
Check out half the New Orleans Saints Starters, half of them are Buckeyes, but they actually wins games and in postseason as well.

What does that feel like? I forget
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 03:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This is funny. It makes it sound like Brown and Vigil are just some great run stoppers:

'Speed is Pratt’s game, too, and Anarumo is trying to balance that desperate need with the even more desperate need of production against the run. But it may be time to live and learn.

You can understand Anarumo’s dilemma. He needs the speed, but he doesn’t need the young mistakes that result in big runs. Especially the longer the game goes.'

Yeah, they're not very good, I'm assuming he means Pratt has been out of position more than them, but they're going to let him learn on the fly. Might as well. The other two just don't have the speed. Of course, they're not getting consistent help from the back end on run support either. I guess they're going to see if Pratts speed will help.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 03:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, they're not very good, I'm assuming he means Pratt has been out of position more than them, but they're going to let him learn on the fly. Might as well. The other two just don't have the speed. Of course, they're not getting consistent help from the back end on run support either. I guess they're going to see if Pratts speed will help.

It's a move we need to make...but I do see Pratt get blocked out of the play a decent bit when he's in.

Not sure the Ravens are a good team to do this against with Jackson, Ingram, and all their backs.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 03:24 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: Check out half the New Orleans Saints Starters, half of them are Buckeyes, but they actually wins games and in postseason as well.

What does that feel like? I forget

But how many of the Saints starters on OL are Buckeyes? None.
Ohio St produces some amazing DBs and DL in recent years but their offensive players aside from Elliott and Thomas have a lot to be desired.
Ted Ginn was drafted over 10 years ago, so he came from a different generation of Ohio St football compared to the Urban Meyer era.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 03:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, they're not very good, I'm assuming he means Pratt has been out of position more than them, but they're going to let him learn on the fly. Might as well. The other two just don't have the speed. Of course, they're not getting consistent help from the back end on run support either. I guess they're going to see if Pratts speed will help.

Defense is going to be out of position a decent amount if they call the wrong defensive play. Having slow players just compounds that problem. At least with a player like Pratt (or Jefferson if he was still around), the speed helps react and get to the ball carrier faster.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 04:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's a move we need to make...but I do see Pratt get blocked out of the play a decent bit when he's in.

Not sure the Ravens are a good team to do this against with Jackson, Ingram, and all their backs.

Good point on the Ravens run game and Jackson....maybe they'll change the alignment a little and use Pratt as a spy? Either way, at this point, as Lou kinda alluded to, it's time to try SOMETHING. 

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 10:12 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Defense is going to be out of position a decent amount if they call the wrong defensive play. Having slow players just compounds that problem. At least with a player like Pratt (or Jefferson if he was still around), the speed helps react and get to the ball carrier faster.

Which may be the thought process here....

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 01:50 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It could be his defense is too complex for them even though it is ostensibly easier compared to Lewis's defense.  

We have heard this excuse here for years - GET SMARTER PLAYERS. Teams like the Pats change thier D every week and we cant manage changes once per year?
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 10:44 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: We have heard this excuse here for years - GET SMARTER PLAYERS. Teams like the Pats change thier D every week and we cant manage changes once per year?

Part of the responsibility of the coaches (just like teachers) is finding a way to get your players (students) to relate to the material such that they understand. It's possible that the coaches the Bengals have aren't good at actually getting the material to sink in. It may not be that the players aren't smart but moreso that the coaches aren't able to communicate in a way for the players to grasp well.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 03:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This is funny. It makes it sound like Brown and Vigil are just some great run stoppers:

Marvin Lewis often sought out LBs who possessed good instincts. This was to help players know where the play was going to go to get a stop.
Having good instincts helps compensate for a lack of speed.
However, it's ideal to have both good instincts and speed.
Unfortunately for the Bengals, most of the LBs they've had have only had one or the other.
We know that Vigil and (especially) Brown have limited speed, and that has led to their poor performance. We've seen Evans enough to know that he doesn't have good instincts. It's time to give Pratt that opportunity to see if he has instincts or can grow to be more instinctual, as he's the only hope right now to possibly have both.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Bucs just signed Hawkins from our practice squad. He didn't do much to impress during the preseason, but it's interesting with our lb situation that we had a lb on the practice squad another team wanted.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote