Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I've had enough of Preston brown and nick vigil..
(10-07-2019, 10:29 AM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: Can we please start playing Mr. Pratt and Jordan Evans in the base packages??it's clear to me and everyone else around that this is clearly a lost season, Preston brown and nick vigil are not getting it done simple and plain..

Neither possess the football instincts necessary to be successful at the linebacker position and as long as we keep trotting these guys out there the rest of the defense will suffer for it..

Agreed, been saying we need to play Pratt more all season and at least Evans is athletic and fast, same with Reynolds.

Both Preston and Vigil are just slow to the edge and it is killing us in the run game. Have to be able to stop the run for 
the D-line to have more chances to rush the passer, it cannot all be on Billings stopping the run game and the D-line, 
they need help too. One of the bright spots on this team is Billings and Hubbard right now but it doesn't show with the
poor LB play from Brown and Vigil. Hurts everyone.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 10:44 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: We have heard this excuse here for years - GET SMARTER PLAYERS. Teams like the Pats change thier D every week and we cant manage changes once per year?

I think the coaches simplified some things for the DL but made it more complex in zone reads for backers and secondary.   Still, neither position group is displaying displaying good gap awareness or integrity and it explains big chucks by opposing teams.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Deone Buchannon just got released by the Bucs. He was a safety at the start of his career.

Might be worth a look.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 12:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Deone Buchannon just got released by the Bucs. He was a safety at the start of his career.

Might be worth a look.

Wasn't he one of the guys people wanted on here during FA? Wouldn't hurt to kick the tires, and they just signed a PS LB from us didn't they?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: Wasn't he one of the guys people wanted on here during FA? Wouldn't hurt to kick the tires, and they just signed a PS LB from us didn't they?

They did. So we'd be signing a guy that they'd rather use our PS LB over. Kevin Minter plays over him too.

Really in the LB mess we have, he's worth a shot. Probably won't be the answer.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They did. So we'd be signing a guy that they'd rather use our PS LB over. Kevin Minter plays over him too.

Really in the LB mess we have, he's worth a shot. Probably won't be the answer.

Right....some guys don't fit with one team, but do another. Worth a look.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Right....some guys don't fit with one team, but do another. Worth a look.

Agreed, need speed at Linebacker and Buchannon has it.

Plus he can play Safety and Shawn got hurt last game.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed, need speed at Linebacker and Buchannon has it.

Plus he can play Safety and Shawn got hurt last game.

Actually, he'd be a nice fit in Webb's spot in our 4-2-5 defense. A hybrid LB/S. He's actually pretty decent in coverage.

Like I said though, he's injured a good bit.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 03:24 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: Check out half the New Orleans Saints Starters, half of them are Buckeyes, but they actually wins games and in postseason as well.

What does that feel like? I forget

The Saints have 5 Buckeyes on their roster, all of them WR's and DB's.  They don't have a single OL from OSU.  OSU has put out some good players at various positions, but their OL prospects have been overhyped and underdelivering for over a decade.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 10:39 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: They are both just plain awful in space.  And to be honest not very good tacklers either.

Poor Lou has been dealt a horrible hand by this pathetic management team.  Watching other games it's amazing what good LB play can do for a defense, and this team just has nothing, zero, zilch at that level.  I didn't think it could get worse than last year but this year sets the bar to a different level of bad.

No position on the Bengals has been more poorly drafted over the past decade then LB 

Seriously look back at our picks...it is atrocious.  You would think through law of averages we would have hit on a quality starter.

The last draft pick at LB you could say was a success was Rey Maualuga - 10 years ago  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 09:33 AM)sonofstat Wrote: No position on the Bengals has been more poorly drafted over the past decade then LB 

Seriously look back at our picks...it is atrocious.  You would think through law of averages we would have hit on a quality starter.

The last draft pick at LB you could say was a success was Rey Maualuga - 10 years ago  Ninja

Interesting to note that all of the LBs on the last All Pro team were all either 1st or 2nd round picks.  It would certainly appear that if you want a LB that's going to be a household name, you'd better get one at the top of the draft.  Marvin's philosophy of drafting these mid-round guys, and hoping to develop them, just doesn't pan out in this day and age of the NFL.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Vigil could be out of gas before we even reach the half. Guy was running all over the field. Yes he is slow, and out of place, but all over the place none the less. If only he had speed.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 11:01 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Vigil could be out of gas before we even reach the half. Guy was running all over the field.  Yes he is slow, and out of place, but all over the place none the less. If only he had speed.

You're right, there is no questioning Nick's effort. 

Reply/Quote
It's not so much Brown and Vigil being "slow" as it is them being out of position. We need to ditch the 4-2-5 or 5-2-4 or whatever nonsense we are running. Put Pratt in along with Vigil and Brown with Brown at the MIKE position. Going to three LB lets Vigil and Pratt (the OLBs) play closer to the edges without leaving a total void in the middle. The scheme is setting our players up to fail.
Reply/Quote
The roster on both sides of the ball is set up to fail. Each coach was not giving a path to success. Mike Brown is more worried about his pockets then the actual team and franchise. He destroys talent and team moral when he constantly never gives his teams or coach's the tools for success. Reason why good staff members have left and also key players have demanded trades. The same reason why we don't get elite players to visit in free agency because Mike Brown has given Cincinnati a bad reputation with low balling players and also the way he pays everyone as cheap as he can in the training staff and scouts. This team is built to fail. But I do agree with the defensive schemes not working. I think we should go to a traditional 4-3 with an over and under. Been a fan since birth but somethings will never change and that's Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 01:50 PM)Bengalsfanz Wrote: The roster on both sides of the ball is set up to fail. Each coach was not giving a path to success. Mike Brown is more worried about his pockets then the actual team and franchise. He destroys talent and team moral when he constantly never gives his teams or coach's the tools for success. Reason why good staff members have left and also key players have demanded trades. The same reason why we don't get elite players to visit in free agency because Mike Brown has given Cincinnati a bad reputation with low balling players and also the way he pays everyone as cheap as he can in the training staff and scouts. This team is built to fail. But I do agree with the defensive schemes not working. I think we should go to a traditional 4-3 with an over and under. Been a fan since birth but somethings will never change and that's Mike Brown.

most of the staff members that left during marvins tenure where fired or hired to promotions.....  Other than frank pollack I don't remember a coach leaving early outside of those 2 situations

Who outside of palmer demanded a trade?
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 11:01 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Vigil could be out of gas before we even reach the half. Guy was running all over the field.  Yes he is slow, and out of place, but all over the place none the less. If only he had speed.

with how well the offense has been doing the whole defense might be gassed by the half
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 10:58 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Germaine with the Tacky G (Gennifer Flowers, anyone) is terrible. Nick Vigil and Preston Brown are both better.

I do realize that's tantamount to winning the "Best Teeth" contest in a Kentucky Holler, but that's the current state of things.

Brown has been epically bad in 3 of the last 4 games. Vigil in 2 of the last 4. 

Pratt, in limited snaps, has been decent. Couldn't hurt to give him a full game or 2 to check him out. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 01:53 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: most of the staff members that left during marvins tenure where fired or hired to promotions.....  Other than frank pollack I don't remember a coach leaving early outside of those 2 situations

True a lot of the staff left. Hugh Jackson and also Mike Zimmer which I might add I wish Zimmer was coaching our team. But Mike Brown does not let anything past him as far as signing players or going after free agents. This team will always be decent but will not excel to the next level without getting a real general manager and also increasing our scouting department and going after high caliber coaches. Who knows we might have a great staff which its way to early to tell. Now players demanding trades was Palmer and Corey Dillon but I could see in the near future if things do not change. Still always repping black and orange.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 01:53 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: most of the staff members that left during marvins tenure where fired or hired to promotions.....  Other than frank pollack I don't remember a coach leaving early outside of those 2 situations

Boomer, Spikes, Dillon, maybe Pickens, possibly a few I'm forgetting....but it's been a while.

Reply/Quote