Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've noticed something....
In watching many Pittsburgh games I've noticed that Ben will throw the long ball to his receivers a few times a game just to try to get pass interference calls. I used to think they just liked to go down the field a lot but that is not the case. He literally will put air under the ball so his receivers can go up and high point the attempt while the defender has their head turned.

Call me crazy but this is part of their game planning strategy. And last nights game would have been the perfect opportunity for us to do the same in the 3rd quarter. Our O had become so stagnant and needed a big play or something to change momentum. Take a shot, probably not with AJ Green as they tend to roll coverage his way, but with Mo Sanu or Marvin Jones. Both of these guys are usually singled up and can go up and make plays on the ball.

Go back and watch Pittsburgh and see how many pass interference calls they get like this. Heck, I think there were 2 or 3 this past week against Baltimore.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ben and Flacco actually routinely go deep on 3rd and 15 to try and get a PI call, make a reception, or just turn the INT into a punt. I don't think they even care about what part of the field they're at.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
They do it all the time. We don't even try, rather run draws on 3rd and long so we can punt and put our defense back on the field.

I've heard Marvin say it numerous times that "a punt is not a bad thing". Well taking shot is not a bad thing either. Four things can happen: incomplete pass, complete pass, pass interference or interception. None of which is a bad thing if your intent is to punt anyway.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 01:29 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: They do it all the time.  We don't even try, rather run draws on 3rd and long so we can punt and put our defense back on the field.

I've heard Marvin say it numerous times that "a punt is not a bad thing".  Well taking shot is not a bad thing either.  Four things can happen: incomplete pass, complete pass, pass interference or interception.  None of which is a bad thing if your intent is to punt anyway.

I'd like to add: sack for a loss, sack + forced fumble = terrible defensive field position
[Image: 8lCdYWF.gif]
Reply/Quote
Who knows what the odds are for all of that, but in that case you have 4 positive outcomes vs 2 negative outcomes, lol.

I think the thing with an INT is, you suspect the WR will have the defender as down by contact (i.e. no punt return). It can turn into a nasty thing if they don't, there's nobody to tackle them clear to the line of scrimmage almost, lol- and with the way AJ has had trouble stopping interceptions before, anyway...
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 01:50 PM)FuZZ Wrote: I'd like to add: sack for a loss, sack + forced fumble = terrible defensive field position

Almost sounds like Marvin, e.g. what could go wrong vs. what might go right.  That's the problem with Marvin, he always fears the worst and makes decisions based on that logic.

And btw, there is no guarantee running the ball that you're not going to fumble either.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 12:51 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: In watching many Pittsburgh games I've noticed that Ben will throw the long ball to his receivers a few times a game just to try to get pass interference calls.  I used to think they just liked to go down the field a lot but that is not the case.  He literally will put air under the ball so his receivers can go up and high point the attempt while the defender has their head turned.

Call me crazy but this is part of their game planning strategy.  And last nights game would have been the perfect opportunity for us to do the same in the 3rd quarter.  Our O had become so stagnant and needed a big play or something to change momentum.  Take a shot, probably not with AJ Green as they tend to roll coverage his way, but with Mo Sanu or Marvin Jones.  Both of these guys are usually singled up and can go up and make plays on the ball.

Go back and watch Pittsburgh and see how many pass interference calls they get like this.  Heck, I think there were 2 or 3 this past week against Baltimore.

Boomer used to do that with regularity and success - particularly effective with the no huddle offense.
Reply/Quote
When we have AJ Green and Marvin Jones we should go downfield a lot more... like we did with OCHO. But we dont... good chance pass interference would be called trying to guard AJ..
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 12:51 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: In watching many Pittsburgh games I've noticed that Ben will throw the long ball to his receivers a few times a game just to try to get pass interference calls.  I used to think they just liked to go down the field a lot but that is not the case.  He literally will put air under the ball so his receivers can go up and high point the attempt while the defender has their head turned.

Call me crazy but this is part of their game planning strategy.  And last nights game would have been the perfect opportunity for us to do the same in the 3rd quarter.  Our O had become so stagnant and needed a big play or something to change momentum.  Take a shot, probably not with AJ Green as they tend to roll coverage his way, but with Mo Sanu or Marvin Jones.  Both of these guys are usually singled up and can go up and make plays on the ball.

Go back and watch Pittsburgh and see how many pass interference calls they get like this.  Heck, I think there were 2 or 3 this past week against Baltimore.

I watched that Ravens Steeler game and every incomplete pass that Ben threw, Wheaton, Brown and Bryant all cried for flags. Not surprised though.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 05:40 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I watched that Ravens Steeler game and every incomplete pass that Ben threw, Wheaton, Brown and Bryant all cried for flags. Not surprised though.

Ehh, can't blame them.  Every time a pass isn't caught in today's NFL the WR is flailing around pretending to throw a flag.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 05:40 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I watched that Ravens Steeler game and every incomplete pass that Ben threw, Wheaton, Brown and Bryant all cried for flags. Not surprised though.

Almost every WR will call for a flag if the pass is incomplete.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Hence the reason to use this tactic. Especially in 3rd and long situations where there is little chance for the conversion anyway.
Reply/Quote
Why won't we ever do the quick pass when db's give us a 15 yard cushion? 3 step drops would have killed Denver yesterday, but I'm the only one to notice I guess. Hue can't get hired fast enough.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 08:02 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Why won't we ever do the quick pass when db's give us a 15 yard cushion? 3 step drops would have killed Denver yesterday, but I'm the only one to notice I guess. Hue can't get hired fast enough.
I think Hue's strength is his ability to come up with funky formations/plays.  But he lacks significantly in the adjustment department.
Reply/Quote

Not sure you noticed or not, but last night they weren't calling anything in the secondary and they weren't calling anything as far as holding goes on the o-line.  Dunlap was straight up tackled on the play where Brock was clearly in the end zone.  Should have been a safety.
Reply/Quote
I have NFL Gamepass, I shall look at recording the Dunlap play and uploading it for us.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 08:05 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: I think Hue's strength is his ability to come up with funky formations/plays.  But he lacks significantly in the adjustment department.

He does have a top 5 scoring offense, but yeah there are times the in-game adjustments (like 2 minute drill) just flop.  
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

Yeah, but it's also part of the reason Ben has about as many ints as he does TDs. I'm not in favor of adding "throwing it up for grabs" to our game plan.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 10:15 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Not sure you noticed or not, but last night they weren't calling anything in the secondary and they weren't calling anything as far as holding goes on the o-line.  Dunlap was straight up tackled on the play where Brock was clearly in the end zone.  Should have been a safety.

First screen capture, could have used 60FPS but didn't, I think you can still catch the drift
https://youtu.be/foOjhzhLiuE
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I remember that play. I was point at the TV yelling "There's a hold!"
Reply/Quote