Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want the old Carlos Dunlap back...
(10-26-2017, 01:29 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Hope this is a blip but in a year when the Defense is playing well and the pass rush has had a renaissance with the new guys/greater rotation what has happened with #96?

He has really been a non factor this year...in fact after a strong start to last year in his last 10 games he has only 2 sacks and 2 passes defensed.  The way its going this is shaping up to be his worst year stats wise.

There has been a lot of focus on RDE and Johnsons lack of production leading to Lawson and Willis coming in but right now maybe we also need to look at increasing rotation on LDE too...

So now it's Dunlap's fault.  Some say AJ Green.  Some say Dalton.  Some say LaFell.  .....Look, there is a thing called fatigue.  no athlete is above it according to the great Jimmy Brown.  ..3 and outs keep our defense on the field to the point of fatigue.  Our D doesn't give up many points and keeps a normal offense in the game to win....3 and outs are our problem.....so is the 3 and out problem that we have no QB, WR's or RB's ???......NO, the problem is we have NO BLOCKING......and why do we have NO BLOCKING.....MIKE BROWN......and how can we replace Mike Brown ?...WE CAN'T.......So since we can't fix the real problem, we complain about Dunlap, AJ Green...... There's a hole in the bucket. Fix it with straw cut with a knife. Sharpen the knife on a stone and if the stone is too dry wet it with water. Carry the water in the bucket. Wait, there's a hole in the bucket....and that Hole is Mike Brown. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 06:53 AM)kevin Wrote: So now it's Dunlap's fault.  Some say AJ Green.  Some say Dalton.  Some say LaFell.  .....Look, there is a thing called fatigue.  no athlete is above it according to the great Jimmy Brown.  ..3 and outs keep our defense on the field to the point of fatigue.  Our D doesn't give up many points and keeps a normal offense in the game to win....3 and outs are our problem.....so is the 3 and out problem that we have no QB, WR's or RB's ???......NO, the problem is we have NO BLOCKING......and why do we have NO BLOCKING.....MIKE BROWN......and how can we replace Mike Brown ?...WE CAN'T.......So since we can't fix the real problem, we complain about Dunlap, AJ Green...... There's a hole in the bucket. Fix it with straw cut with a knife. Sharpen the knife on a stone and if the stone is too dry wet it with water. Carry the water in the bucket. Wait, there's a hole in the bucket....and that Hole is Mike Brown. 

erm...this was a thread about Dunlap and his play/production.    

There have been a million and one threads on Mike Brown and the OLine and I never mentioned AJ Green.  He is playing at his great level same as he always has.

Dunlap has not to date and I was interested to hear thoughts  - he's played great before and has held up the pass rush when the defense was not playing well and others like MJ, Gilberry, Margus Hunt were no real help...

...so this year when the rest of the pass rush had been really good and potentially breaks our club sack record our leading pass rusher is currently on pace for his worse stats season - just thought that was an anomaly and wondered why  - maybe the fatigue you mention is the factor.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 09:20 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: This is why coaches, Gm, players, and people in the know think fans dumbass'ss this thread right here
Why?   
I'm just interested why in a year when our D is playing well, and the pass rush has been a huge factor with our sack totals way up,  our historically best pass rusher is not currently getting in on the act. 
If it was like period's previously when the overall D was not playing well or he was on his own trying create a edge rush with nothing coming from RDE then there would be a more obvious explanation   -  but that's not the case currently.
Anyway....the good news is he has a lay up this week.   The Colts OLine gave up 10 sacks last week so all our pass rushers should be feasting this week.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 03:31 PM)eoxyod Wrote: He's still very disruptive, and disruption = production

100%

(10-27-2017, 08:48 AM)sonofstat Wrote: erm...this was a thread about Dunlap and his play/production.    

There have been a million and one threads on Mike Brown and the OLine and I never mentioned AJ Green.  He is playing at his great level same as he always has.

Dunlap has not to date and I was interested to hear thoughts  - he's played great before and has held up the pass rush when the defense was not playing well and others like MJ, Gilberry, Margus Hunt were no real help...

...so this year when the rest of the pass rush had been really good and potentially breaks our club sack record our leading pass rusher is currently on pace for his worse stats season - just thought that was an anomaly and wondered why  - maybe the fatigue you mention is the factor.

Apologies, but that is 100% false.

Just using last week as an example.

For the 90th time, the first three drives last week, he was getting consistent pressure, almost had a strip sack and bullrushed the new guy (Hammond?) into 'berger a couple of times.

Then the holds started happening, weren't getting called and Dunlap suddenly, "disappeared."

I have never in my life, seen a pass rusher get so many, "close to," sacks in my life; if even half of his "close to," sacks actually finished, he'd have 25 a year, every year.

That to me tells me that he's always been and always will be (until something inveitably happens), an unstoppable force on the pass rush.

Plus, his run game work is still best on the line, by far, has been for at least 5 years.

I chalk up this year thus far, simply to fluke, luck, circumstance.

Hopefully this Sunday, he can have a couple. Would be awesome.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 09:19 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 100%

Apologies, but that is 100% false.

Just using last week as an example.

For the 90th time, the first three drives last week, he was getting consistent pressure, almost had a strip sack and bullrushed the new guy (Hammond?) into 'berger a couple of times.

Then the holds started happening, weren't getting called and Dunlap suddenly, "disappeared."

I have never in my life, seen a pass rusher get so many, "close to," sacks in my life; if even half of his "close to," sacks actually finished, he'd have 25 a year, every year.

That to me tells me that he's always been and always will be (until something inveitably happens), an unstoppable force on the pass rush.

Plus, his run game work is still best on the line, by far, has been for at least 5 years.

I chalk up this year thus far, simply to fluke, luck, circumstance.

Hopefully this Sunday, he can have a couple. Would be awesome.

The first couple of games I saw a bit of that where he definitely was getting pressure but not closing it out.

I don't subscribe to PFF or anything like that so don't see the pressures  - I only see the NFL stats which show sacks and pass defensed.  If his pass pressures are up high then you may be right.

Agreed re: Sunday... with a porous Colts line its as good a time as any to turn pressure into sacks...heck why not throw in an INT TD return !! Tongue
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 08:59 AM)sonofstat Wrote: Why?   
I'm just interested why in a year when our D is playing well, and the pass rush has been a huge factor with our sack totals way up,  our historically best pass rusher is not currently getting in on the act. 
If it was like period's previously when the overall D was not playing well or he was on his own trying create a edge rush with nothing coming from RDE then there would be a more obvious explanation   -  but that's not the case currently.
Anyway....the good news is he has a lay up this week.   The Colts OLine gave up 10 sacks last week so all our pass rushers should be feasting this week.
If you watch the games you can tell he is having a major impact.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 12:37 PM)sonofstat Wrote: The first couple of games I saw a bit of that where he definitely was getting pressure but not closing it out.

I don't subscribe to PFF or anything like that so don't see the pressures  - I only see the NFL stats which show sacks and pass defensed.  If his pass pressures are up high then you may be right.

Agreed re: Sunday... with a porous Colts line its as good a time as any to turn pressure into sacks...heck why not throw in an INT TD return !! Tongue

I still remember his against Flacco in 2012... May have been Tyrod Taylor lol.

I'm hoping for the best :)
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 01:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I still remember his against Flacco in 2012... May have been Tyrod Taylor lol.

I'm hoping for the best :)

It was Tyrod Taylor. Dunlap juked him on his way to the end zone too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
When watching the Bills game, it seemed as though their offensive gameplan had some stuff thrown in for the explicit purpose of nullifying Dunlap. The tackle and qb would coordinate feigning giving up the inside and then rolling out to the right. The Steelers tended to use their TEs to help with him. That right there should tell you that opposing OCs respect Dunlap quite a bit. 
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 02:57 PM)jason Wrote: It was Tyrod Taylor. Dunlap juked him on his way to the end zone too.

Well, that looked familiar!
Reply/Quote
Carlos saved their ass today.
Reply/Quote
Finally came through he won this game
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 12:37 PM)sonofstat Wrote: The first couple of games I saw a bit of that where he definitely was getting pressure but not closing it out.

called it! ...great play
Reply/Quote