Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I want to see Bengals Block & Tackle 1st Half against Giants.
The New York Giants give the Bengals a good NFC East team to slam pads into. This is the preseason game all teams play their starters the most before regular season. A good chance to see what teams have and don't have.

If the Bengals go the whole first half with running backs getting stuffed at line of scrimmage due to no blocking, that isn't good. That is how 1st quarter last week went. I want to see some run lanes open up. I also want to see better tackling. I also want to see the O Line stop having penalties on every play.

Some of you may be looking at QB or some other thing. All I'm looking at this week is the First Half and Can This Team Block and Can This Team Tackle. If the answer is No, we could be in for a long season. If the answer is Yes, this team could be OK this year. The Bengals so far still look like a last place team, but it's early and hopefully they lay on the blocks and tackles this week, things you can do in vanilla packages, you can still lay on the blocks and tackles.

GO NEW DEY...not who dey....NEW DEY.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
That's pretty reasonable. I'll add that the Giants aren't exactly a monster team from last year. Surprisingly their QB pick has been performing well and of course they have Saquon Barkley -- that will be the real test for tackling.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Id like to see our 1st string offensive line actually get some push in the run game. So far these guys haven't been getting the job done.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 07:54 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Id like to see our 1st string offensive line actually get some push in the run game. So far these guys haven't been getting the job done.

Are you surprised?  The island of misfit toys aka our O-Line is terrible..............

The Giants will finish last in their division much like us, but hey we may get to see Saquon for a couple of carries.....

Not a downer but lets grasp reality here, its going to be a long season...
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
showing progress againts NYG, oh how far our hopes have tumbled.
Reply/Quote
I want to see the Bengals block and tackle for all four quarters against the Giants. I’m just greedy like that.
Reply/Quote
Our tackling has sucked for a few years now. I think that is half our defensive battle if not more?

Reply/Quote
Maybe wearing gloves with tentacles might help them a bit. ha! Clapping
Reply/Quote
These are the fundamentals that need to be perfected no doubt.
Reply/Quote
Keep the hands inside the shoulder pads pretty simple concept just need the Oline coach to hammer it into their heads. The Oline coach did kind of say they was bad calls a few weeks ago about all the flags. But we are the Bengals we have to do thing perfectly cause we don't get a pass from the refs. If our guys hands are on the outside of the biceps or the outside of the shoulder pads we will get flagged.
Reply/Quote
#metoo

but we suck and i expect this to be a long year for us.. barkley will probably run wild.. our linebackers are trash. and the oline is a bunch of misfit washouts... love my bengals but ima call it how it is. this gonna be a tough year.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 01:12 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: #metoo

but we suck and i expect this to be a long year for us.. barkley will probably run wild.. our linebackers are trash.  and the oline is a bunch of misfit washouts... love my bengals but ima call it how it is.  this gonna be a tough year.
The line has only given up two sacks I believe is what they said our issue is more with flags then pressure on the QB. The line is blocking a lot better then people give them credit for and the run blocking will look much better when Mixon is running the ball. I seen holes that Mixon would hit that Treyveon was missing he is a rookie the game has not slowed down for him yet. My worry is the Oline getting push on short yardage we got a lot of big guys on that line smallest guys being Hart and Price at 310 pounds. We should be able to pick up the 3rd and 1 with this line hopefully we get it sorted out and we start to get push in short yardage plays.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 12:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: These are the fundamentals that need to be perfected no doubt.

That's what I'm about: the fundamentals. Win or lose, it is the preseason. I want to see something that can be built upon. 
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown preached fundamental play in the trenches as a harbinger of success since he was with Cleveland starting in 1946. Seventy-three years later this is still incontrovertibly true.
Reply/Quote
I guess I’m a little more optimistic than most on this board,maybe to much.But from what I’m seeing,they have a lot of talent on this team.I think the OL is looking better than last year.I mean,hey,the line is being reshuffled,you have a new offensive scheme this year under new head coach ZT,among others.If they can put it all together by game 1,then you might be surprised by what you see.I agree with you,in that this game with the Giants is going to slap us with a reality check,and I’m hoping it’s good.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 01:37 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: our issue is more with flags then pressure on the QB.

This. Playing a competitive game that is also penalty free should be expectation, not the exception. You know the rules, you practice the snap count. I don't care if you're tired, a huge part of the game is awareness and paying attention to what is happening around you. 

I'd run 'em a few laps around the stadium until they're gassed then practice lining up and using different snap counts. Drill that stuff until it gets fixed. 

Reply/Quote
On the bright side, with Andre Smith playing LT, I suspect that runs and scrambles to the Left side will be more productive..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm right there with you. I don't think I've really seen us do the basic things well. Block. Tackle. Be disciplined.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
I haven't seen this terrible blocking many are pointing to in this preseason. Maybe folks just already have their minds made up.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Game 3 is generally the closest to a regular season game. We will see what happens.
Reply/Quote