Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I was wrong about Hayden Hurst - I'll take my crow medium rare, plz
I sort of liked CJ, but it always felt like he was auditioning for a role on TV more than anything else at times.. I think it's why he opted for New York and the media there..more opportunities to get his mug in front of audiences.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 09:11 AM)grampahol Wrote: I sort of liked CJ, but it always felt like he was auditioning for a role on TV more than anything else at times.. I think it's why he opted for New York and the media there..more opportunities to get his mug in front of audiences.. 

CJ went were the money was the greatest, and he got overpaid something fierce.

Games are not won in the locker room, they are won on the field.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 09:44 AM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: CJ went were the money was the greatest, and he got overpaid something fierce.

Games are not won in the locker room, they are won on the field.

That's true but a bad locker room culture carries over to the field.
Reply/Quote
Is this that point where those of us who were excited about Hurst coming to the team get to say "See, I told you so!" and, "Yeah, what took you so long?" Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Uzi was one of my favorite players last year, and I guess he is doing OK this year for the NY Jets. Hayden Hurst, though reminds me of one of the greatest Bengal TE's ever, Dan Ross.
Reply/Quote
I think a lot of guys over value locker room guys. You really only need a couple guys. You always had Burrow and Mixon. Someone is always gonna step up.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 09:11 AM)grampahol Wrote: I sort of liked CJ, but it always felt like he was auditioning for a role on TV more than anything else at times.. I think it's why he opted for New York and the media there..more opportunities to get his mug in front of audiences.. 

it's more like NY saw his charisma and wanted him there

there's really no explanation to pay a #2 TE that amount of money. NY specifically wanted him
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 11:11 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: I think a lot of guys over value locker room guys.  You really only need a couple guys. You always had Burrow and Mixon.  Someone is always gonna step up.

And Reader and Bell. Our locker room is full of leaders, too many to name really. In fact, it's easier to list the guys that aren't.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 01:20 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Disagree and remember Burrow had to correct him publicly when CJ said the Bengals would embrace the underdog role in the playoffs and then was told by Joe that the Bengals deserved to be there and did not think of themselves as underdogs at all, but equals.  

Then again when CJ said "why not us" yet came back and had to say "Joe is right" and a new motto was born "It is us". 

Never heard this before, but Joe was right. "Underdogs" and "why not us?" are the words of a fan base that feels inferior and is just hoping. Kind of negative thinking.  "It is us" and "equals, not underdogs," are the words of positive affirmation.
Reply/Quote
I really liked Uzomah and he really added some fun and positive energy during that stretch last year. He got good money and we couldn't match the offer and we really just don't use a TE that much. Hurst was the guy I wanted when I looked at the free agent TE's. I like a lot of parts about his game. I thought he may have produced more at this point but it's really not his fault. The offense just doesn't use a TE very much. I mean if you take away Uzomahs two big games last year he had 180yds and TD for the rest of the season.
Reply/Quote
Hurst, when you consider who our other targets are is doing very well. He only has two TD's but other than that he's pretty much right inline with the other middle of the roadish TE's. Yes his YPC aren't great but does that really matter for his role ? NO

I would like to see them work in some more targets to him in the redzone. But other than that he's been used very well and done a good job. Joe
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 09:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He is not the equal in the locker room.

I said this when CJ was a Bengal.  I loved him to death but.... he was a bit corny.  I've been around corny people like that and it can get annoying even if you know they mean well.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 12:57 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: it's more like NY saw his charisma and wanted him there

there's really no explanation to pay a #2 TE that amount of money. NY specifically wanted him

or they misjudged what they were getting, he did put up decent #'s and portrayed himself as a leader on a team that was 1 play away from winning the SB.  

Of course he never really acted out the leader role until his contract year.

I don't dislike the guy, even if it seems that way and would be happy to bring him back at his fair market value when his contract runs out or is released. 

Yet respect Hurst much more and hope he is affordable enough to keep. In hindsight though, wish hey would have locked him down on a 3 year deal at his current rate.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Hurst is going to break the club record for receptions by a Tight End if he stays healthy
Reply/Quote
I remember ESPN "experts" were saying that the Bengals will struggle with the loss of Uzomah - I said WTF, really, is Uzomah Kelce now? Some people just live in their own head movies!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 11:49 PM)Science Friction Wrote: I loved the signing a soon as it was announced. Thought he would be  productive and he has been.  Love his toughnesss. One of my favorites.

Same, thought Hurst would be an upgrade and he has been at least from what Uzo is doing in New York.

Thinking Hurst will just get better as the season goes on to and will up his YPC as long as the coaches get some play 
calls with him running deeper routes. But right now he is the guy that Burrow checks down to if the other guy's are 
covered and it works. He is a 3rd down machine, just what we needed.

Good on the OP to admit it, props. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 09:30 PM)Tomkat Wrote: A few months ago, I was very vocal about how much I thought losing CJ Uzomah had hurt the team, both statistically and "in the locker room" via missing leadership.  I didn't think Hayden Hurst could adequately replace him in either capacity.  I was wrong.

He has really won me over... I'll take my serving of crow... medium rare.

[Image: images.jpeg]

You should be really ashamed too because Hayden would’ve had to suck out of nowhere for him to be bad with these weapons

I guess I’ll eat crow because i thought he’d get 1000 yards easily
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Now that the regular season is over....

Hayden Hurst 2022
13 games (13 starts)
52 receptions (76.5% catch rate)
414 yards (8.0 yards per catch)
2 TD
50% of receptions went for 1st Down

That's nothing to write home about at all, and he's going to turn 30 this year. They need to find a TE1 in draft or FA this coming offseason.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 09:52 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Now that the regular season is over....

Hayden Hurst 2022
13 games (13 starts)
52 receptions (76.5% catch rate)
414 yards (8.0 yards per catch)
2 TD
50% of receptions went for 1st Down

That's nothing to write home about at all, and he's going to turn 30 this year. They need to find a TE1 in draft or FA this coming offseason.

Bengals offense doesn't run through the TE so those are good numbers... Tight Ends are also notoriously difficult to transition from the NFL. So it's either pay way to much for 3rd option in your offense or resign Hayden Hurst while developing a day 2 or early day 3 guy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 10:04 AM)Synric Wrote: Bengals offense doesn't run through the TE so those are good numbers... Tight Ends are also notoriously difficult to transition from the NFL. So it's either pay way to much for 3rd option in your offense or resign Hayden Hurst while developing a day 2 or early day 3 guy.

Catch rate and getting the 1st downs are big. We were not throwing into cover two all year last year so down the field was more open. With our ball control throw underneath the D long drives this year the YPC went down but the 1st downs went up I would guess. Handen hands are much better than CJ as well. But if we got an extra draft pick and the right player is there I am all for getting a better TE prospect to develop.
Reply/Quote