Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was wrong and can admit it.
It's no secret around the board that I have been the champion for the trade the first overall pick and don't take Burrow movement. That reason was not as much about my fear of Burrow (I still have worries, but you have to worry about any draft pick) but it was really a fear that the team would simply draft Burrow, sit back and be like "Well, there is your hope. A new face of the franchise." I figured the only way this team would improve quickly would be through multiple draft picks panning out.

Then, this off-season has happened. I never saw this coming, and to be honest, I doubt anyone else saw it coming either. However, with the talent they are bringing in at positions of need and talk of still doing more on the O-line, I will openly say I was wrong in saying we had to trade the pick.

If the coaches believe Burrow is their guy, then I'll support the pick, the moves they have made thus far in FA, and not just the additions, the guys they have waived or let go, shows me something I haven't seen in decades, and that is a clear plan.

So, yup...eating my crow early on that drafting Burrow would result in us picking number 1 again, cause even with Dalton under center, this team is already set up to perform better than last year.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:22 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It's no secret around the board that I have been the champion for the trade the first overall pick and don't take Burrow movement. That reason was not as much about my fear of Burrow (I still have worries, but you have to worry about any draft pick) but it was really a fear that the team would simply draft Burrow, sit back and be like "Well, there is your hope. A new face of the franchise." I figured the only way this team would improve quickly would be through multiple draft picks panning out.

Then, this off-season has happened. I never saw this coming, and to be honest, I doubt anyone else saw it coming either. However, with the talent they are bringing in at positions of need and talk of still doing more on the O-line, I will openly say I was wrong in saying we had to trade the pick.

If the coaches believe Burrow is their guy, then I'll support the pick, the moves they have made thus far in FA, and not just the additions, the guys they have waived or let go, shows me something I haven't seen in decades, and that is a clear plan.

So, yup...eating my crow early on that drafting Burrow would result in us picking number 1 again, cause even with Dalton under center, this team is already set up to perform better than last year.

Yeah, I don't think anyone can honestly say they saw this coming. I sure as hell didn't. I called last off-season the laziest and most uninspiring I've seen in long time, even by Bengals standards...but man, they came out swinging during this free agency period, and in a jaw-dropping fashion.

Man, when you combine the excitement of this off-season with the excitement of adding Burrow as our starting QB, I may need to up my heart meds this season. LOL
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:32 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, I don't think anyone can honestly say they saw this coming. I sure as hell didn't. I called last off-season the laziest and most uninspiring I've seen in long time, even by Bengals standards...but man, they came out swinging during this free agency period, and in a jaw-dropping fashion.

Man, when you combine the excitement of this off-season with the excitement of adding Burrow as our starting QB, I may need to up my heart meds this season. LOL

I am curious, will we see Zac still calling plays this season? And with his players will the results be better? Or, does he hand off play calling to Callahan.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:47 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I am curious, will we see Zac still calling plays this season? And with his players will the results be better? Or, does he hand off play calling to Callahan.

I would guess that Zac will still be calling the plays. If so, hopefully we see a lot of improvement from him this season. 
Reply/Quote
Now what are we gonna do? If Mike Brown actually had anything to do with this who are we gonna throw shade at? It almost feels like our misery football club has been disbanded! They could have at least given us notice ahead of time to prepare ourselves for actual good news. We've grown so accustomed to believing nothing would or could ever change it almost feels like a betrayal..A betrayal I'm sure we all welcome, but a betrayal anyway.. Just as you're ready to scream your head off out of anger someone just has to make things right at the last minute, huh?

OK, maybe I'm overdoing it and I do welcome these moves. It just feels strange. It's like one of those days when it's done nothing but rain when the temperature is barely above freezing and then one day it hits 75 degrees outside and plenty of sunshine.. Just a strange feeling...no?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'm with the OP; this free agent frenzy came completely out of left field and knocked my senses silly.  I'm still processing it, to tell the truth, and there's a real sense of excitement -- not to mention a sense of relief -- that the Bengals are finally being proactive like the other 31 teams in the NFL.  As I've stated in other threads, this kind of activity takes a lot of pressure off Cincinnati with respect to the upcoming draft.

What I was expecting did not materialize.  Until free agency began I had this overwhelming sense of dread because I expected little or no activity in free agency followed by drafting Joe Burrow #1OA -- and then nothing. Forgive me for my lowered expectations but I fully expected the Bengals to draft Burrow and proclaim everything was coming up roses.  "See?  We drafted Joe Burrow!  He's a generational franchise quarterback who will 'elevate' everyone's game around him simply by showing up.  He's our 'bell cow quarterback' and we're off to the Super Bowl!"

Joe Burrow may well prove to be a great player.  However, with this new roster the Bengals do not have to rely on Joe to lift everyone to a new level.  Joe can worry about Joe -- and that's how it should be.  No matter how talented, any rookie quarterback in the NFL has his hands full from the get-go:  A new playbook, a faster game, and new coaches.  After seeing the Bengals bring in some serious talent across the roster, drafting Joe Burrow becomes a luxury, not a necessity. 
Reply/Quote
I'll also accept my crow air-fried and tossed in Marie Sharp's garlic habanero hot sauce, please.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I don't even know this team anymore...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Me to. It's awesome to give kudos when it's due (it is), just like it's acceptable to call them out when they don't.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I legitimately think the ghost of Paul Brown visited Mike and scared him straight.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 10:23 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I'll also accept my crow air-fried and tossed in Marie Sharp's garlic habanero hot sauce, please.

With or without the feathers?
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:52 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: I would guess that Zac will still be calling the plays. If so, hopefully we see a lot of improvement from him this season. 

I'm not sure about that. I'm thinking maybe Zac just called the plays last year because he wasn't all that confident in any of his new staff last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 11:31 AM)Earendil Wrote: With or without the feathers?

In all fairness, any Crow MB makes us eat has been almost 30 years in the making so it's gotta be pretty rank.  Pass the hot sauce. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:32 AM)Bengalholic Wrote:  I called last off-season the laziest and most uninspiring I've seen in long time, even by Bengals standards.

That is saying a lot, but I agree.  Even I refused to defend last years free agent moves.  
Reply/Quote
Few if any saw this coming, so no crow to eat. But, to stir some crap, what if they keep AD and draft Young versus Burrow.

The self quarantined and majority of Bengals Nation would need to seek mental help, drink a lot or just go ape ''''
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I expected us to sign at least a couple of proven starters on defense (probably DT or LB because they would be cheaper than CB) or maybe a guard. I figured two guys in the $7-$9 million range then another mid tier guy for around $5 million.

That would have actually been a solid free agency by Bengal standards. Our biggest deal last year was Hart's 3 yr $16 million.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 10:24 AM)jason Wrote: I don't even know this team anymore...

LOL. Well said
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 11:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I expected us to sign at least a couple of proven starters on defense (probably DT or LB because they would be cheaper than CB) or maybe a guard.  I figured two guys in the $7-$9 million range then another mid tier guy for around $5 million.

That would have actually been a solid free agency by Bengal standards.  Our biggest deal last year was Hart's 3 yr $16 million.

I agree Fred

I also think many fans dismiss franchising AJ. It was a big deal and major money cap hit at a risk. I love AJ, but we can't go another year paying a player almost 20 million to sit on the sidelines.

My point is once they signed AJ, I thought we would go a few mid tiers gusy and depend on the draft. I am pleasantly surprised.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Vegas is taking notice moved from 250 to 1 after the season down to 100 to 1
Reply/Quote
Also I wonder if NFL players want to play with Joe Burrow he's that good
Reply/Quote