Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was wrong and can admit it.
(03-26-2020, 11:56 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Few if any saw this coming, so no crow to eat. But, to stir some crap, what if they keep AD and draft Young versus Burrow.

The self quarantined and majority of Bengals Nation would need to seek mental help, drink a lot or just go ape ''''

If we don't draft Burrow he's going to go from an amazing prospect to a cocky jerk who hasn't proven anything and will cancer up his new team.

But we are likely to have Burrow and Dalton on the team until a starting QB goes down elsewhere. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 10:54 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I legitimately think the ghost of Paul Brown visited Mike and scared him straight.

Who says Mike Brown made these decisions?  Could this be the first year of the KB era?
As for seeing this coming, no not really but there were clues.
Look at the money they stockpiled under the cap. 
Look at drafting at the top of each round.
Look at 2-14.
If not now, then they missed a generational opportunity.  Were the Bengals FO so stupid as to throw this opportunity away?
Guess not.  So who called the shots?
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 11:56 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Few if any saw this coming, so no crow to eat. But, to stir some crap, what if they keep AD and draft Young versus Burrow.

The self quarantined and majority of Bengals Nation would need to seek mental help, drink a lot or just go ape ''''

That would be epically stupid, and that has nothing to do with Chase Young.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:22 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It's no secret around the board that I have been the champion for the trade the first overall pick and don't take Burrow movement. That reason was not as much about my fear of Burrow (I still have worries, but you have to worry about any draft pick) but it was really a fear that the team would simply draft Burrow, sit back and be like "Well, there is your hope. A new face of the franchise." I figured the only way this team would improve quickly would be through multiple draft picks panning out.

Then, this off-season has happened. I never saw this coming, and to be honest, I doubt anyone else saw it coming either. However, with the talent they are bringing in at positions of need and talk of still doing more on the O-line, I will openly say I was wrong in saying we had to trade the pick.

If the coaches believe Burrow is their guy, then I'll support the pick, the moves they have made thus far in FA, and not just the additions, the guys they have waived or let go, shows me something I haven't seen in decades, and that is a clear plan.

So, yup...eating my crow early on that drafting Burrow would result in us picking number 1 again, cause even with Dalton under center, this team is already set up to perform better than last year.

Way to own up Murdock. I never wanted us to trade away the Burrow pick but I also never saw this many moves in FA and it
completely opens up the Draft for Zac to build a great Offense around Burrow. This Defense is going to be so much better in 
tackling, let alone when you can stop the run you can put Offenses in 2nd and 3rd and longs where you can get more INTS 
and sacks. Gonna be a good year barring injuries IMO.

Building for the future, love seeing this. Makes me have some respect for Zac and Lou now.

Was really wondering about these guys before this FA.
Reply/Quote
I've never eaten crow, but I did once eat sea gull. That was back in the late 70s when the area around Long Beach Californ-I-Aye was in shambles. A guy I knew caught and cooked them in Cherry Park. I can now say just how terrible sea gull actually tastes.. Just close your eyes and imagine raw chicken left in a plastic bag in the hot sun in your backyard for a week or so. Now if that doesn't make your mouth water in anticipation of the finest meal you've ever had nothing will.
It's a rather gamey tasting bird, but there is plenty of meat on most sea gulls and it is edible. I'm not sure it's legal, but if your choice is starvation or eating sea gull most people would opt for sea gull.
Lately I've been thinking about geese. There's a bunch of them around the lake here and they make enough noise at the wrong time of the day and night, not to mention goose shit all over everyone's lawns I have a hunch most people around here wouldn't mind if the goose population were thinned out a bit.
So..instead of eating crow how about eating either gull or geese? We also have a few cormorant on the lake. People who like to fish aren't too wild about cormorant since they dive under water and like to eat more fish than most birds.. Between cormorant and otters they can decimate fish populations in quick order.. A nice cormorant dinner anyone? It just doesn't sound right for some reason.. Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:22 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It's no secret around the board that I have been the champion for the trade the first overall pick and don't take Burrow movement. That reason was not as much about my fear of Burrow (I still have worries, but you have to worry about any draft pick) but it was really a fear that the team would simply draft Burrow, sit back and be like "Well, there is your hope. A new face of the franchise." I figured the only way this team would improve quickly would be through multiple draft picks panning out.

Then, this off-season has happened. I never saw this coming, and to be honest, I doubt anyone else saw it coming either. However, with the talent they are bringing in at positions of need and talk of still doing more on the O-line, I will openly say I was wrong in saying we had to trade the pick.

If the coaches believe Burrow is their guy, then I'll support the pick, the moves they have made thus far in FA, and not just the additions, the guys they have waived or let go, shows me something I haven't seen in decades, and that is a clear plan.

So, yup...eating my crow early on that drafting Burrow would result in us picking number 1 again, cause even with Dalton under center, this team is already set up to perform better than last year.

If you would have told me or any other Bengals fan that Mike Brown was going to completely change his operating basis this off-season and take free agency serious for the first time ever, then I figure you would not have found a single fan who would buy into that idea.

Something has changed in the front office and it's not just Zac Taylor as head coach. Mike Brown's whole fundamental approach to the off-season has changed.

No one saw this coming.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 03:12 PM)grampahol Wrote: I've never eaten crow, but I did once eat sea gull. That was back in the late 70s when the area around Long Beach Californ-I-Aye was in shambles. A guy I knew caught and cooked them in Cherry Park. I can now say just how terrible sea gull actually tastes.. Just close your eyes and imagine raw chicken left in a plastic bag in the hot sun in your backyard for a week or so. Now if that doesn't make your mouth water in anticipation of the finest meal you've ever had nothing will.
It's a rather gamey tasting bird, but there is plenty of meat on most sea gulls and it is edible. I'm not sure it's legal, but if your choice is starvation or eating sea gull most people would opt for sea gull.
Lately I've been thinking about geese. There's a bunch of them around the lake here and they make enough noise at the wrong time of the day and night, not to mention goose shit all over everyone's lawns I have a hunch most people around here wouldn't mind if the goose population were thinned out a bit.
So..instead of eating crow how about eating either gull or geese? We also have a few cormorant on the lake. People who like to fish aren't too wild about cormorant since they dive under water and like to eat more fish than most birds.. Between cormorant and otters they can decimate fish populations in quick order.. A nice cormorant dinner anyone? It just doesn't sound right for some reason.. Mellow

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 01:41 PM)McC Wrote: That would be epically stupid, and that has nothing to do with Chase Young.  

Burrow's still the pick, but Chase Young would look pretty damn nice on this new D line... A lot of QBs would be taking beatings.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 03:12 PM)grampahol Wrote: I've never eaten crow, but I did once eat sea gull. That was back in the late 70s when the area around Long Beach Californ-I-Aye was in shambles. A guy I knew caught and cooked them in Cherry Park. I can now say just how terrible sea gull actually tastes.. Just close your eyes and imagine raw chicken left in a plastic bag in the hot sun in your backyard for a week or so. Now if that doesn't make your mouth water in anticipation of the finest meal you've ever had nothing will.

I've eaten Canada Goose for Thanksgiving/Christmas, literally every year of my life, save for maybe 3 of them.

It is my favourite bird and far and away one of the best-tasting things I've ever eaten (the way my dad cooks it; of course, someone else's experience would be different).

I may start a thread in Klotsch with pics of the dishes; they are mouthwatering.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
The aggressive FA tactic shows we will be drafting Joe Burrow. They have addressed multiple needs and now can use the draft to get Joe and then focus on OL, LB, WR. With the FA moves there is no longer a need to trade with the Dolphins for more draft picks.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 03:53 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: The aggressive FA tactic shows we will be drafting Joe Burrow. They have addressed multiple needs and now can use the draft to get Joe and then focus on OL, LB, WR. With the FA moves there is no longer a need to trade with the Dolphins for more draft picks.

You know it Thompson. Time to build the Offense around Burrow. Should be the funnest Offseason in forever.

Than we can watch this team grow into a contender hopefully for the Superbowl down the road.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 03:53 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: The aggressive FA tactic shows we will be drafting Joe Burrow. They have addressed multiple needs and now can use the draft to get Joe and then focus on OL, LB, WR. With the FA moves there is no longer a need to trade with the Dolphins for more draft picks.

What are u talking about, now that Brady is gone from the AFC, everybody wants to play for us. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:32 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, I don't think anyone can honestly say they saw this coming. I sure as hell didn't. I called last off-season the laziest and most uninspiring I've seen in long time, even by Bengals standards...but man, they came out swinging during this free agency period, and in a jaw-dropping fashion.

Man, when you combine the excitement of this off-season with the excitement of adding Burrow as our starting QB, I may need to up my heart meds this season. LOL

Well hopefully we dominate and don't have many of those "cardiac" type games. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 09:00 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Well hopefully we dominate and don't have many of those "cardiac" type games. 

I don't call them cardiac games anymore. I refer to them as the 53 stooges of the NFL!! 

I LOVE what we have done so far BUT, they still have to prove they are as good as expected. I fell for the stupidity of the Clowns last year but you all saw what happened. BUT, they had a better record than we did. Hopefully, things will turn us around BUT until I see it we just won't know!
GO BENGALS!!!
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Wink

Reply/Quote
Me too. I was completely wrong. Thought a free agent from the streets would be our big signing. Bengals proved me wrong. I also was on the draft Young train in early November but Burrow kept proving me wrong every dang week. It seems the Bengals have made every right move since December. Getting excited being a Bengals fan again. Now dump Dre n Andy.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:32 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, I don't think anyone can honestly say they saw this coming. I sure as hell didn't. I called last off-season the laziest and most uninspiring I've seen in long time, even by Bengals standards...but man, they came out swinging during this free agency period, and in a jaw-dropping fashion.

Man, when you combine the excitement of this off-season with the excitement of adding Burrow as our starting QB, I may need to up my heart meds this season. LOL

This is how I know COVID is going to eff this season up.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

None of us saw this coming bro.  I can understand the want to trade that first pick for a haul, and I mean more than Miami's 3 firsts but I think the Bengals need to stand pat, take Burrow and build around him.  Fortunately that sounds like what they plan to do.

Right now I would not trade that 1st for anything short of 5 First round picks
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 11:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Me too.  I was completely wrong.  Thought a free agent from the streets would be our big signing.   Bengals proved me wrong.  I also was on the draft Young train in early November but Burrow kept proving me wrong every dang week.   It seems the Bengals have made every right move since December.    Getting excited being a Bengals fan again.   Now dump Dre n Andy.

I guess this is why all the stock people have a disclaimer that says that past performance is not indicative of future gains.

Mike Brown's past performance has been pretty horrific when in comes to free agency.

I'm just happy that he finally woke up to what was going on in the league. Of course, I wish he had figured it out 28 years ago.

Reply/Quote
I remember debating a couple people on this, and me being one of the very few people who thought we'd be active in free agency. That said, I couldn't care less about who was right or wrong. Tbh, I think the boards would be a better place if less people cared about that stuff and just wanted to talk football with fellow fans.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 11:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Me too.  I was completely wrong.  Thought a free agent from the streets would be our big signing.   Bengals proved me wrong.  I also was on the draft Young train in early November but Burrow kept proving me wrong every dang week.   It seems the Bengals have made every right move since December.    Getting excited being a Bengals fan again.   Now dump Dre n Andy.

(03-30-2020, 12:05 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: None of us saw this coming bro.  I can understand the want to trade that first pick for a haul, and I mean more than Miami's 3 firsts but I think the Bengals need to stand pat, take Burrow and build around him.  Fortunately that sounds like what they plan to do.

Right now I would not trade that 1st for anything short of 5 First round picks

Once I started watching Burrow play I just went, eh, this guy is good.

Always liked Chase but Burrow's play was the biggest reason LSU was maybe the best team in college ever.

Can't miss pick, I wouldn't trade this pick for anything.

(03-30-2020, 12:54 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I guess this is why all the stock people have a disclaimer that says that past performance is not indicative of future gains.

Mike Brown's past performance has been pretty horrific when in comes to free agency.

I'm just happy that he finally woke up to what was going on in the league. Of course, I wish he had figured it out 28 years ago.

Clean slate now as far as I am concerned.
Reply/Quote