Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I wasn't worried, now I'm worried. The Bengals are light at TE
(06-24-2022, 08:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They have been grading position groups on "Moving the Chains" and yesterday they were doing Tight End groups. When they got to the AFCN North, they started with the Ravens, who got a 19. When they got to the Bengals, they got a 9. I wasn't to focused on TE's because we signed Hayden Hurst, and I expect him to have a good year. But then Pat Kirwin mentioned what if Hurst goes down. That leaves Sample and Wilcox to be out #1 and #2 Tight Ends. I realize we don't use the TE that much with our WR group, but if they are still going to being a player in, they maybe ought to look at another Tight End. BTW, neither expected Washington or Moss to even make the team anywhere but possibly the PS.

So what is your solution? 
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 10:20 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Lmfao what?

Solid blocker, yes.

You must’ve been concussed recently if you think Sample is a decent receiver

IN 2020, when CJ Uzomah was lost for the season during a week 2 battle, Drew Sample, largely known as the "blocking TE", had 40 receptions for 349 yards and 1 TD.  He was ranked the 43rd receiving TE by PFF (for all TEs with at least 35 targets).  That was the only year of his three seasons when he was asked to be more of a receiving TE.  

One play that season, when a LB from Jacksonville (Myles Jack?) ripped a TD away from him and had a pick in the endzone KILLED his score for that game, and really dropped his season average.  His grade as a receiver that year (ranked 43rd) was just 5 points behind Zach Ertz, who was ranked 38th, 10 points behind Hayden Hurst (in his best season, who was ranked 31st) and 25 points behind Gronk (ranked 7th). 

He had significantly higher blocking ratings than all three of those TEs.   In fact, he was the 9th rated overall blocking TE in that group as well.  

He isn't a vertical threat, but he has a high catch %, is a solid blocker, and can move the chains when called upon.  

There are 32 NFL teams and he was ranked the 43rd best RECEIVING TE.  So, while he might not be a true #1 receiving threat as a TE, he is more than serviceable.  Again, he did that in his second season after a first season beset by injuries, after Uzomah was out injured.  I think the guy deserves more credit than you give him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 11:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Guy has 2 left feet and poor hands
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 11:39 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Guy has 2 left feet and poor hands

Why do I bother? I did laugh at what you did to my original post, though.  
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 04:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: Nah, Auden Tate was far more qualified for the hype because he actually showed some flashes before the hype started. The only reason people care about Moss is because of his name and he was on a team with Burrow 3 or 4 years ago. 

I actually think more of Moss than a lot of people. I hear he runs good routes, has good hands and is a good (primarily downfield) blocker. He has not shown well on special teams, which is critical on this team - especially with Simmons as the assistant head coach. I think Burrow still wants him on the 53, and he was slated to play but got injured in practice.

So I’m still hopeful he has a breakout year.
Reply/Quote
Find a solid blocking TE otherwise who cares. Our WR and RB is stacked TE is not a must have because we are so good elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
CJ had 73% of snaps/22% on ST, Sample had 42%/42% on ST, Wilcox 7% and 52% on ST. They use the position more than we think.

All 53 spots are valuable, especially with a 17th game and extra playoff game (unless you're #1). So, ideally if some truly feel that we don't use it that much and that there isn't much drop off from the 2, 3 and 4 guys I'm not opposed to keeping 2TE's and 2 on the PS........except that...

Hayden Hurst played 39% of snaps and a measley 2% on ST. He missed 4 games and had a superhero in front of him, but the ST snaps are telling. We are going to keep 3 and guys 2 and 3 are going to play heavy ST snaps.

Since we are trying to win a ring, we have to address both the issue of losing a top 3 WR (with Hurst likely getting more usage) and losing Hurst to injury. You really need more out of the TE position that what we have, both on ST and in passing, since Sample is a solid blocker.

So, I'm on board with those that are scouring the waiver wire come cut time if Wilcox, Moss or others don't stand out. Hopefully Sample improves, but the position would look really good with a better #2 him at #3 and getting more snaps on ST. Point being, it wouldn't take much to turn this "trouble spot" to a solid group.
Reply/Quote
We have the exact same depth as last year at TE. Could we be deeper at this spot, yes? Do we need to be, no? We need vet depth on o-line or d-line or 4th WR.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 09:12 PM)jason Wrote: Tate's in Atlanta now. The guy is what he is... A 7th rounder that managed to hang on in the league for awhile. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Cool, so he is still in the league. True, nothing to sneeze at just wasn't the answer in the RZ here some like me thought he might be.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 11:39 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Guy has 2 left feet and poor hands

SHRacer had a nice post which explained his points and you do this lol 
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 02:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: SHRacer had a nice post which explained his points and you do this lol 

Drew Sample stats from 2020 mean nothing to me

scratch that, less than nothing
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 02:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Drew Sample stats from 2020 mean nothing to me

scratch that, less than nothing

Fair enough. He sure isn't a decent pass catching TE that is for sure. Damn good run blocker though.
Reply/Quote