Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I went from doom and gloom to optimistic since season end
I was hoping on a good head coach coming and drafting a potential good qb at seasons end. That isn't happening and I thought my dedication is going to go way down. But...its been a snowball getting bigger of being optimistic,and I'm not the optimistic type like alot of people are i consider myself a realist.

First with the firing of Alexander, that guy couldn't pick good lineman for a long time ,and just isn't a good O line coach. You can just look at him and he looks like a turd of a coach. Next Pauly G. Even though he was not bad ,he wasn't great . He was definitely no Zimmer. I believe Austin and his assistants have the potential to make us a better defense.

I like the rumors of all the coaches I am hearing . And I think we atleast know a good coaching staff can get us to the playoffs . NOW ... the determining factor will be other things I think if we make the next step to playoff wins. And that's going to take time to see if it happens. I'm talking about Free Agency , The draft and will we actually play the guys who deserve to play I think is a big key. I'm not thrilled with Andy I think you need a better QB to win the Superbowl. But he might atleast get us some playoff wins with a great team around him. Id like to draft a good potential guy but I don't think we have the extra picks to do it,and I know Marvin will not draft a 1st round QB.

The next thing in line to win a playoff game will be , our bad luck and injury problems. It's the Bengals way for someone to get hurt in a promising year. That's why I hope we have the depth at all positions. But I'm optimistic on a fun winning season this year. I alsok think Gruden, the pats ,Steelers will still be in the playoffs next year,it's a shame franchises always do better then us,we deserve a ring here.
Reply/Quote
Well that didn't take long, by September you will be convinced the new coaches and draft choices will have us at 11-5 and deep in the playoffs....

...well that is until the first week of January.
Reply/Quote
Easy now, still plenty of time before kickoff in the season opener.

Let's just see how Free Agency and the draft play out, before we start dropping the "O" word around here... Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown
^
Mervin Lewis

Ya been had.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 08:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Easy now, still plenty of time before kickoff in the season opener.  

Let's just see how Free Agency and the draft play out, before we start dropping the "O" word around here...   Ninja

Exactly.  We haven't even navigated past the soul-crushing March uniform threads.  Patience is key for a Bengal fan.  A loooooooooooooooooot of patience.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
We pay Harold Goodwin and i will have some optimism, this guy is just what we need at O-line coach. He is not one
dimensional like PA was, he can coach up run blocking and pass blocking. This would be huge for this team as PA
could only coach pass blocking and still his guys kept their hands too low and quit at times.

I just hope Marv has demands for FA and we go after a top tier O-lineman to really free up the draft.

We do this and things will be looking pretty good IMHO.

We still won 7 games last year with that shitty O-line, i think we can win enough to maybe win a Playoff game with
a good O-line. I really like our RB's and maybe our new WR coach can get something out of either Ross, Boyd, Malone
or Core.

Our Defense is pretty stacked and young, i still have high hopes for Billings. Have really high hopes for Will Jax,
Lawson, Willis and Dennard.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 08:02 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I was hoping on a good head coach coming and drafting a potential good qb at seasons end. That isn't happening and I thought my dedication is going to go way down. But...its been a snowball getting bigger of being optimistic,and I'm not the optimistic type like alot of people are i consider myself a realist.

First with the firing of Alexander, that guy couldn't pick good lineman for a long time ,and just isn't a good O line coach. You can just look at him and he looks like a turd of a coach. Next Pauly G. Even though he was not bad ,he wasn't great . He was definitely no Zimmer.  I believe Austin and his assistants have the potential to make us a better defense.

I like the rumors of all the coaches I am hearing . And I think we atleast know a good coaching staff can get us to the playoffs . NOW ... the determining factor will be other things I think if we make the next step to playoff wins. And that's going to take time to see if it happens. I'm talking about Free Agency , The draft and will we actually play the guys who deserve to play I think is a big key. I'm not thrilled with Andy I think you need a better QB to win the Superbowl. But he might atleast get us some playoff wins with a great team around him. Id like to draft a good potential guy but I don't think we have the extra picks to do it,and I know Marvin will not draft a 1st round QB.

The next thing in line to win a playoff game will be , our bad luck and injury problems. It's the Bengals way for someone to get hurt in a promising year. That's why I hope we have the depth at all positions. But I'm optimistic on a fun winning season this year. I alsok think Gruden, the pats ,Steelers will still be in the playoffs next year,it's a shame franchises always do better then us,we deserve a ring here.

Wait until the 2nd half of the first Bengals game in 2018 to see how things are going.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 08:02 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I was hoping on a good head coach coming and drafting a potential good qb at seasons end. That isn't happening and I thought my dedication is going to go way down. But...its been a snowball getting bigger of being optimistic,and I'm not the optimistic type like alot of people are i consider myself a realist.

First with the firing of Alexander, that guy couldn't pick good lineman for a long time ,and just isn't a good O line coach. You can just look at him and he looks like a turd of a coach. Next Pauly G. Even though he was not bad ,he wasn't great . He was definitely no Zimmer.  I believe Austin and his assistants have the potential to make us a better defense.

Just enjoy the roller coaster ride...
Reply/Quote
To the OP....good for you.

Optimism is ALWAYS the better option when navigating the twists in life. These boards could use a little more of that.
Reply/Quote
I'm still down on the team, but like EVERY year I'll probably be a lot more hyped up than I am now after the draft and then optimistic when the season starts.... then I'll be pissed again once we still don't have any half time adjustments and teams score on us on their 2 minute drill.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 08:35 PM)Beaker Wrote: To the OP....good for you.

Optimism is ALWAYS the better option when navigating the twists in life. These boards could use a little more of that.

Cannot wait until the Bengals inspire hope. It would be awesome.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 08:38 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Cannot wait until the Bengals inspire hope. It would be awesome.

Can't wait until the negativity isn't the modus operandi around here. It would be awesome.
Reply/Quote
Wake me up when anything positive has happened.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Mike Brown was banking on us having short memories when he re-signed Merv....I never woulda guessed he’d be right this fast. Figured it’d take at least until the draft before people started forgetting how bad Merv is and how much this team has regressed these past few years. It doesn’t matter how good this team is, they won’t make it past the first round of the playoffs with you know who coaching
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 08:46 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Mike Brown was banking on us having short memories when he re-signed Merv....I never woulda guessed he’d be right this fast. Figured it’d take at least until the draft before people started forgetting how bad Merv is and how much this team has regressed these past few years. It doesn’t matter how good this team is, they won’t make it past the first round of the playoffs with you know who coaching

I'm sure most are not full throttle sold on what their feeding us, I'm not. I think the removal of a couple of coaches is exciting for us. We all know Merv can't manage a game to save his life. These next 2 years are soley on him and no one else to blame, but him. 
It reminds me of a guy that get's his buddies to play in a basketball league and all his buddies are good and knows he sucks...
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 08:46 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Mike Brown was banking on us having short memories when he re-signed Merv....I never woulda guessed he’d be right this fast. Figured it’d take at least until the draft before people started forgetting how bad Merv is and how much this team has regressed these past few years. It doesn’t matter how good this team is, they won’t make it past the first round of the playoffs with you know who coaching

The past sure tells a tale don't it?

Just hoping we get a good O-line coach and be somewhat aggressive in FA, i think that would be a start.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 08:41 PM)Beaker Wrote: Can't wait until the negativity isn't the modus operandi around here. It would be awesome.

So we agree.
Reply/Quote

First with the firing of Alexander, that guy couldn't pick good lineman for a long time ,and just isn't a good O line coach. You can just look at him and he looks like a turd of a coach. Next Pauly G. Even though he was not bad ,he wasn't great . He was definitely no Zimmer. I believe Austin and his assistants have the potential to make us a better defense.

1/2/18 Never Forget.......
Reply/Quote
I'm not drinking the cool aid. We won two games at the end of the year, got some new position coaches and everybody goes crazy. Marvin is still the coach so nothing will change far as him getting us over the hump. Just on the line alone we need a left tackle, center, right guard and right tackle Everybody says address the line in free agency. This years o-line free agent class is terrible the only good player worth signing is Norwell the guard from the Panthers which some people on here have already mentioned. I doubt the Bengals will pay big money for a free agent period and doubt they will pay big money for a free agent guard. So that leaves the draft we need to draft at least two lineman in the first two rounds and they both will probably have to start and be good right away. Whatever line coach you bring in won't be able to save Ogbuehi or Fisher unless he runs a system that requires lineman to let defenders run by untouched. So your probably going to have to add 3 new lineman that have never played together, more than likely two will be rookies that have to be good right away so that right there is a huge task. Also who else can get open besides Green ? I don't know if Ross is even good or that he can stay healthy. Tyler Boyd was 'MIA' all season long , a healthy scratch for 2 games just because he had two good games at the end of the year i'm not buying into the fact that he can do it on a consistent basis. I have hope for the defense because we have some good talent but we still need two linebackers and a safety that can make a ball on the ball.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 01:07 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I'm not drinking the cool aid. We won two games at the end of the year, got some new position coaches and everybody goes crazy. Marvin is still the coach so nothing will change far as him getting us over the hump. Just on the line alone we need a left tackle, center, right guard and right tackle  Everybody says address the line in free agency. This years o-line free agent class is terrible the only good player worth signing is Norwell the guard from the Panthers which some people on here have already mentioned. I doubt the Bengals will pay big money for a free agent period and doubt they will pay big money for a free agent guard. So that leaves the draft we need to draft at least two lineman in the first two rounds and they both will probably have to start and be good right away.  Whatever line coach you bring in won't be able to save Ogbuehi or Fisher unless he runs a system that requires lineman to let defenders run by untouched.  So your probably going to have to add 3 new lineman that have never played together, more than likely two will be rookies that have to be good right away so that right there is a huge task. Also who else can get open besides Green ? I don't know if Ross is even good or that he can stay healthy. Tyler Boyd was 'MIA' all season long , a healthy scratch for 2 games just because he had two good games at the end of the year i'm not buying into the fact that he can do it on a consistent basis.  I have hope for the defense because we have some good talent but we still need two linebackers and a safety that can make a ball on the ball.

See with you guys that obsess over the o line this year like never before. But really it was two guys that were bad on the o line. Two guys emerged westerman and Redmond, the run game improved ,the line just wasn't bad starting the game before the Pittsburgh game. Yet you guys think we got to select 3-4 lineman. FALSE just get rid of Cedric and don't allow him on the line ,and atleast get a tackle somewhere ,Bodine needs replaced but I bet they bring him back.  Next year the o line will be fine.

Now as for #2 receiver I agree with you,lafell needs to go we got to do better then him,Ross is unproven and Boyd's been a slot. Where is the #2 going to come from I do not know . But losing lafell is a positive for us. 

I know fans really have no reason to think optimistic and I'm usually on the negative side like I said. But we know Dalton and pretty good coaches can get to the playoffs atleast. It's been proven. We lost important coaches after 2015 and didn't replace them. So now we are replacing bad coaches. So now we will see what they do the rest of the way after hiring these coaches which sounds like they will be better coaches.
Reply/Quote