Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I went from doom and gloom to optimistic since season end
(01-11-2018, 10:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We need major help at LB and safety (which we won't get because Shawn Williams will continue to be the biggest ripoff on the team because, hey, we drafted him).  WJIII is a star.  Dennard proves he belongs.  Adam Jones is gone (good riddance) and maybe Austin will leave MJ where he actually helped (at DT on passing downs).  

Heading in to next season, the big question (again) will be:  Can this offense score 24 points a game?  If the lack of separation from the WRs isn't addressed (Lafell gone, Ross playing) and they think they can just smoke-and-mirror it with talk of how re-dedicated AJ Green will be, then you can forget anything but another 5-7 win season.  

Definately agree we need major help at Linebacker. Not so much at Safety, while Shawn is not great he is not as
terrible as people on here claim, we just need another ballhawk to fill in on passing downs IMHO.

This is what i would do this FA and early in the draft at this point....

- Re-sign Andre Smith
- Sign Andrew Norwell G Panthers
- Sign the best available ballhawking S, doesn't have to be expensive.
- Sign Zac Brown coverage LB
- Draft Roquan Smith LB Georgia in the 1st round
- Draft Frank Ragnow C Arkansas in the 2nd
- Isaiah Wynn G/C/T Georgia next and then go BPA

Boling might be a fine OT with a whole Offseason and i am not ready to give up on Fisher yet.

Wynn is extremely versatile and can play T.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 02:16 PM)grampahol Wrote: YOU are a conspiracy theorist! 

Yes I am. My conspiracy is that the NFL being fixed is a ridiculous conspiracy.
Reply/Quote
Someone saying the "right things" typically doesn't get me to believe them nowadays. I follow the "screenshot or it didn't happen" approach.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 02:06 PM)grampahol Wrote: It's ok to be optimistic.. Browns fans tossed a parade after the worlds worst season.. If that ain't optimism of sorts tough telling what downright pessimism might look like..and look on the bright side..The Bengals won 700% more games than the Browns and less than 100% less games than pissburg.. 
Choosey mothers chose Jif*

* metaphor still a work in progress  and I know.. I have to do better..

700% of 0 is still 0.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
You guys act like we have never seen the playoffs under marvin lol and I never said we was going to win it all next year . I just said I'm feeling optimistic about next season. I think it's a good chance we are back in the playoffs from what I'm seeing. But...what they do later In free agency and draft we will be able to tell if they have a good shot at a playoff win. If they continue to dissapoint me like every year in free agency. Well I'll be right back at I'll believe we will win a playoff game If I see it.

Marvin also looks kind of stupid to me too, especially playing certain guys over someone who should be playing. Then they find out about guys because of injury. I've said this for years ,but people hang on saying no coaches see the best in practice. They know better.

I'm a big fan of joe goodberry on twitter even though he never responds to none of my comments all year. I agree with him we need to hit the lottery on coaching or qb to win a Superbowl. He also posted something about Free Agency spenders have actually been winning lately and it's the new trend with the salary cap.

But I think we can win a playoff game or two with what we got with a maxed out team. If be shocked to death if Dalton Marvin combo got to the superbowl.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 03:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definately agree we need major help at Linebacker. Not so much at Safety, while Shawn is not great he is not as
terrible as people on here claim, we just need another ballhawk to fill in on passing downs IMHO.

This is what i would do this FA and early in the draft at this point....

- Re-sign Andre Smith
- Sign Andrew Norwell G Panthers
- Sign the best available ballhawking S, doesn't have to be expensive.
- Sign Zac Brown coverage LB
- Draft Roquan Smith LB Georgia in the 1st round
- Draft Frank Ragnow C Arkansas in the 2nd
- Isaiah Wynn G/C/T Georgia next and then go BPA

Boling might be a fine OT with a whole Offseason and i am not ready to give up on Fisher yet.

Wynn is extremely versatile and can play T.

My concern with the above offseason plan...
If you sign Norwell, you're starting him (obvs).
You draft Ragnow I assume to be the starting C.
Assuming you keep Boling at LG, I assume that you would put Wynn at LT?
If you push Boling out to LT, I assume you would put Wynn inside at OG?
In either scenario, what happens with Westerman or Redmond? Didn't like what you saw out of either them enough to give you confidence they could start?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 04:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My concern with the above offseason plan...
If you sign Norwell, you're starting him (obvs).
You draft Ragnow I assume to be the starting C.
Assuming you keep Boling at LG, I assume that you would put Wynn at LT?
If you push Boling out to LT, I assume you would put Wynn inside at OG?
In either scenario, what happens with Westerman or Redmond? Didn't like what you saw out of either them enough to give you confidence they could start?

I liked what i saw out of Westerman, Redmond is decent in run blocking a fine backup.

Just adding this much depth with a new O-line coach i believe would sort itself out and we would go from one of the worst
O-lines to one of the best rather quickly similar to what the Vikes did last year. I am assuming that it would look like this in
this scenario...

LT - Boling/Wynn - LG - Norwell/Boling/Westerman/Wynn - C - Ragnow/Westerman/Wynn - RG - Westerman/Redmond/Wynn - Andre/Fish

That is what is nice about adding a player like Wynn is his versatility. He could be a starter early on or could be a great backup.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 04:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I liked what i saw out of Westerman, Redmond is decent in run blocking a fine backup.

Just adding this much depth with a new O-line coach i believe would sort itself out and we would go from one of the worst
O-lines to one of the best rather quickly similar to what the Vikes did last year. I am assuming that it would look like this in
this scenario...

LT - Boling/Wynn - LG - Norwell/Boling/Westerman/Wynn - C - Ragnow/Westerman/Wynn - RG - Westerman/Redmond/Wynn - Andre/Fish

That is what is nice about adding a player like Wynn is his versatility. He could be a starter early on or could be a great backup.

I'm glad someone recognizes we don't need to draft 3-4 guys. I like westerman and Redmond. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 04:58 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I'm glad someone recognizes we don't need to draft 3-4 guys. I like westerman and Redmond. 

As long as we got one O-lineman in FA we would only have to draft 2 guys i agree.

It would open up the draft somewhat.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 05:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As long as we got one O-lineman in FA we would only have to draft 2 guys i agree.

It would open up the draft somewhat.

I can definitely see the Bengals bringing back Bodine, that's a Bengals move all the way . But I think they will draft a tackle . Possibly free agent tackle idk . I can definitely see free agent linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 05:51 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I can definitely see the Bengals bringing back Bodine, that's a Bengals move all the way . But I think they will draft a tackle . Possibly free agent tackle idk . I can definitely see free agent linebacker.

I doubt we bring back Bodine with Pollack as our new O-line coach baby.

He has an eye for talent.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 06:59 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Bengals haven't won a playoff game in 27 years under Mike Brown, and 15 years under Marvin Lewis
And being down about everything the Bengals do is going to help that?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 07:51 PM)Beaker Wrote: And being down about everything the Bengals do is going to help that?

I bet nobody is down on us getting Frank Pollack as our new O-line coach...
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 06:59 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Bengals haven't won a playoff game in 27 years under Mike Brown, and 15 years under Marvin Lewis, and there's still a large contingent of fans who keep thinking they will.

If this board had any more optimism, we would all start spontaneously start pooping rainbows.

The optimism is just relative.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As for the OP... sucker.

You are why Mike Brown gives all the fans a double middle finger and brings back Lewis for his 16th season, because they give a couple "huzzah, huzzah" press conferences, hire a crappy coach or two, and tell you how THIS time everything is going to change.... and you're eating it up.

Life is hard.  People need outlets.  What's the harm?  Does it lessen the quality of your existence if somebody else wants to believe? 

There used to be a saying.  People don't use it much any more because it's the opposite of how they want to conduct themselves these days.   But I'll dust it off anyway.

Live and let live.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 08:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I bet nobody is down on us getting Frank Pollack as our new O-line coach...

I was tired of ML and ready and excited to see him move on and get a new face in here. When he re-signed that took a bunch of wind out of the sails. But now it is appearing that one of his concessions to stay was to get to put together his own group of assistants. I am more than willing to see what can be accomplished with his own guys in place. We truly don't know how hamstrung he has been over the past 15 yrs with the group of assistants he was forced to work with.

Aside from that, life is much more fulfilling when you look for reasons to enjoy rather than reasons not to enjoy. I understand the frustration, but not the unrelenting venom.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 11:18 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This is not a post to defend Shawn Williams, but this part of your post makes me have to bring up two very important things.

1. He wasn't outplayed by Fej at all. Fej was bad at defense, good on ST. The Bengals haven't really had any good safeties since they let Nelson leave.

2. Dre Kirkpatrick with his signing bonus, base salary, roster bonus, and workout bonus, made just a hair under $15m in 2017, which was 6th most among CBs. If you look at total value of a contract, Kirkpatrick's is 10th among all CBs. Damn the Bengals FO sucks. Lol

Fej was better in coverage and a better tackler...if you like those things out of your safeties.

Dre was very disappointing this year, and was passed by both WJIII and Dennard.  He should be a back up until he starts playing like a starter again.

Problem is, they need one of them to be slot corner, and that will have to be Dennard because Dre can't do it. 

I wish Dre would spend some time in the weight room and more time in the study room.  I think he has the ability, but not the drive. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 09:13 PM)McC Wrote: Life is hard.  People need outlets.  What's the harm?  Does it lessen the quality of your existence if somebody else wants to believe? 

There used to be a saying.  People don't use it much any more because it's the opposite of how they want to conduct themselves these days.   But I'll dust it off anyway.

Live and let live.

Yeah, sometimes i wonder how people's brains function when it is all negative.

Hard for that brain battery to work. Have to have a positive post as well as a negative post.

(01-11-2018, 11:03 PM)Beaker Wrote: I was tired of ML and ready and excited to see him move on and get a new face in here. When he re-signed that took a bunch of wind out of the sails. But now it is appearing that one of his concessions to stay was to get to put together his own group of assistants. I am more than willing to see what can be accomplished with his own guys in place. We truly don't know how hamstrung he has been over the past 15 yrs with the group of assistants he was forced to work with.

Aside from that, life is much more fulfilling when you look for reasons to enjoy rather than reasons not to enjoy. I understand the frustration, but not the unrelenting venom.

Same here, was really down when Marv got re-signed but was elated when we moved on from PA and am feeling
pretty dang positive with the hire of Frank Pollack. A good run game could carry Marv's 2nd half weakness, it might
actually work to play not to win if we can run on teams at will.

Yeah, i can understand the frustration as well Beaker.

But some on here are negative just to be negative, it is not like we haven't made the Playoffs under Marv and had a
couple great shots at winning a couple. Should of beat the Chargers and the Steelers. Could even argue the Texans.

This was with PA and some shitty MB picked assisstants. We will see now with Pollack, Lazor and Austin if we can
get over that hump. Simmons is a pretty good ST's coach as well. The 3 phases of the game could all be great now.
Reply/Quote