Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'I wouldn't pay a player at that position this much!'
I hear that a lot.

The reality is that since 2012, the salary cap has increased by $47 million. $47 million!

You can't compare contracts from players 5 years ago to players today. That increase means that $12 million today is the cap equivalent of $9 million in 2012. In 2012 would you have paid Zeitler $9 million? Of course you would.

What do top players at their position get paid? Let's look at the franchise-tag numbers. The franchise tag is calculated by averaging the 5 top paid at that position. So look at these numbers...and realize that some teams are paying their guys this much money:

Quarterback: $21.268m
Running back: $12.120m
Receiver: $15.682m
Tight end: $9.780m
Offensive line: $14.271m
Defensive end: $16.934m
Defensive tackle: $13.387m
Linebacker: $14.550m
Cornerback: $14.212
Safety: $10.896m
Kicker/punter: $4.835m
Reply/Quote
It's not about the money to me but what kind of player are we getting for the money? KZ is not worth 5 60 million and they will see that next year. If I'm paying top money for a player at that position , then I want a top player at that position
Reply/Quote
I couldn't agree more. I also take into account he was a first round draft selection. If you draft a guy in the first round, he does everything you ask and has been a great player, then you pay him. Don't draft him in the first place if you never expected him to be talented enough to earn a quality contract. Not using the franchise tag has really bitten us in the ass the last couple of years also. From a team that was close to truly competing to a Super Bowl to a team picking in the top 10 this year and likely the top 5 next year. I just don't understand what they are doing at all anymore. At least we were trying to retain as many of our own players as possible previous to the last couple of years.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
This is a passing league. Zeitler is one of the best pass blocking guards in the league. So it's difficult to argue that he's not worth that when there are so many suitors willing to pay that.
Reply/Quote
The fact your trying to rationalize an argument to pay more than 12 million for Zeitler is totally absurd. THEY are paying him 12 million a year which means we would have to pay more than that to keep him.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Meh. The people saying it was stupid of the Rams to pay $12 per for Whit would be heaping praise on the Bengals had they done the same thing. They'd also be gloating at all the supposed "haters" for doubting. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 03:27 PM)Okeana Wrote: The fact your trying to rationalize an argument to pay more than 12 million for Zeitler is totally absurd. THEY are paying him 12 million a year which means we would have to pay more than that to keep him.

He's not worth it
Reply/Quote
The cap has risen by $45 million since 2012. $9 million in 2012 is equivalent to $12 million now.

Yes...the cap has risen by 39% since 2012. That means salaries have increased by 39% since then too.

A Guard that made $8 million in 2012 would make $11 million now.

We must adjust our thinking.
Reply/Quote