Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I yearn for the days SNL and comedians were not political hacks in disguise.
If you actually watched any of the shows instead of edited clips, you realize that they poke fun of Biden all of the time. Seth Meyers makes fun of Biden on almost every episode . . . But does Biden publicly blurt out every thought that's in his head like Trump? Nope. Not as much material to work with. it's hilarious that those on the right complain about hearing Trump jokes from comedians that they don't watch and want to know "Where are the Biden jokes?" . . . everyone is getting used to being spoon fed.

"I only know what I see or what I am guided to . . . I can't find shit on my own. And since I'm too lazy to look, I'll just assume that I'm right . . . There . . . now I'm comfortable".
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 05:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There's literally nothing in this post that can be argued with.  It would be ok for left leaning people to just admit that Biden and Harris get a major pass from what passes for late night television now.  Chevy Chase's Gerald Ford was more sharp than Biden, yet I cant recall a Biden is out of it sketch at any point in his presidency.  Certainly not at a fraction of what Trump gets.

There may have been a time when late night comedy shows were "centrist" (whatever that term means to you). I don't know if they were or not, because in my entire lifetime, nearly every non-Fox News late night show has always been at the very least liberal adjacent. I think Jimmy Fallon tries to stay away from politics most of the time. At least he did the last time I paid attention to him pre-2016 when he had Trump on and ruffled his hair. But Kimmel, Colbert, Myers and them have become more political and it has done wonders for their careers.

And then you have the Daily Show which, for its entire history, has skewered Republicans.

Myers did do a series of episodes where he was very critical of Joe Biden and his age, and then he had Biden on his show, and they got ice cream afterwards, so those events basically cancel each other out.

I'm biased, but I get why late night shows are so critical of Republicans. So much of what they do is comical. Trump is objectively hilarious. He only intends to be about haf the time, but the other half of the time, the things he says are so absurd, the parodies write themselves. Similar with things like Senator Britt's response to the SotU. It was just so...exaggerated and absurd, it was very easy to parody.

And, when it comes to a daily or weekly comedy show, low hanging fruit is king. The easier something is to make fun of, the more often it will be made fun of. They are not trying hard to come up with jokes about the Republican party.

To their credit, Fox News has tried to combat this. Gutfield! is their version of a late night comedy show. The only problem is it isn't very funny. Once the Democratic party becomes more comical in their absurdity, the pendulum may swing back towards the center.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 06:38 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: If you actually watched any of the shows instead of edited clips, you realize that they poke fun of Biden all of the time. Seth Meyers makes fun of Biden on almost every episode . . . But does Biden publicly blurt out every thought that's in his head like Trump? Nope. Not as much material to work with. it's hilarious that those on the right complain about hearing Trump jokes from comedians that they don't watch and want to know "Where are the Biden jokes?" . . . everyone is getting used to being spoon fed.

"I only know what I see or what I am guided to . . . I can't find shit on my own. And since I'm too lazy to look, I'll just assume that I'm right . . . There . . . now I'm comfortable".

Your point is well taken but I’ll provide my defense for not participating in the first 8 words of your post:

[Image: eVMxFW.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 05:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If there is a market for a comedy show with a right-wing lean, the free market will provide it for us.  Seems like liberals prefer their "other side bashing" in the form of comedy and conservatives prefer their "other side bashing" in the form of a newscast.  How much people buy into the reality of these things is on them.  If you are telling me that Tucker Carlson acting like a complete mark for "quarter deposit" shopping carts and bread isn't comedy, I don't know what to tell you.

But why doesn't Elon Musk pay Maya Rudolph $100 million a year to make fun of Kamala Harris and pay me $100 million a year to put on a Biden mask and declare my love of sniffing children and then throw myself down a flight of stairs?

Make this show happen. Actually, I'd bet there is a cameo channel or 100+ where a guy in a Biden mask will say stupid shit for you for the right price.

The right wing money is in "news" and grievances and fear mongering more than comedy and it could be argued that the comedy shows that bash Trump are spreading fear and grievances in their own way, it's more about delivery.  That's why even someone like Roseanne Barr who is responsible for one of the most successful comedy shows in decades just resorts to screaming about bullshit and stolen elections when it comes time to show her political leanings.  It's just what people want.

EDIT - Wait a minute, I just remembered that politicians on the right from Ted Cruz to that Kennedy guy who isn't RFK to Trump himself dable in stand-up comedy liberal bashing during their speeches.  That Kennedy guy said that kale tastes like he'd rather be fat.  Got me rollin' in the aisles.

It's not about comedy with a political leaning in either direction.  The point being made is that the POTUS used to be made fun of, regardless of which party.  Politicians on both side were made fun of.  If Biden was POTUS during the 80's or 90's he'd be decimated on late night TV every single night.  The guy provides endless material and the occasional joke at his expense doesn't disprove the point being made.  I honestly don't care at all, I stopped watching late night shows entirely after Conan retired.  But to claim it's not horribly slanted now is just asinine.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 06:47 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Your point is well taken but I’ll provide my defense for not participating in the first 8 words of your post:

[Image: eVMxFW.gif]
Well, if you don't have the ability to think for yourself and are easily swayed by whatever you see or hear, maybe talk shows aren't for you and that includes non-comedy shows.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 04:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: Like I just said above he's the easiest target.  And he gives new material every day.

But he's the only one that people complain about jokes about around here.  And I don't watch those shows so I guess that's why it doesn't bother me at all.

I pretty much stopped it after Carson retired other than a little bit of Letterman.

On another note I don't watch much news anymore either so maybe that's why I don't complain about bias or what they are covering.

Trump does keep them busy, but some of it isn't true, and that's an issue, because morons will believe it. 

anyways, i stopped watching all of it once i was old enough to move out. After that was rarely ever home to watch them. 

Letterman was the end of it for me, I watched him sometimes but not to often. I loved his lists though. 
The guys doing it now, couldn't tell you who they are and don't care. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 07:28 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Well, if you don't have the ability to think for yourself and are easily swayed by whatever you see or hear, maybe talk shows aren't for you and that includes non-comedy shows.

[Image: 200.gif?cid=790b76115d6sc5gqzq5iezsocvcl...0.gif&ct=g]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 07:33 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: [Image: 200.gif?cid=790b76115d6sc5gqzq5iezsocvcl...0.gif&ct=g]
Memes as a way of communicating is not exactly proving that you think for yourself.

''Let me find someones time and effort about how I feel or think right now''. But at least you're not too lazy to look and can find shit on your own so there is hope.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
The jokes used to seem somewhat tasteful.

Honestly, the whole system is effed up, cause there's no way I think i'd want to be POTUS in the current times and have to deal with all this crap Which is why we have such crappy options.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 08:02 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Memes as a way of communicating is not exactly proving that you think for yourself.

''Let me find someones time and effort about how I feel or think right now''. But at least you're not too lazy to look and can find shit on your own so there is hope.

[Image: a4204fd1-40f4-4e7b-a5d6-fa178d472b73_text.gif]

It’s simply just not all that serious. Enjoy your late night tv progrums, friend.
Reply/Quote
SNL is an equal opportunity insulting entity.

Someone has their MAGA panties in a bunch.
Reply/Quote
I quit watching those shows when Craig Ferguson retired. Just not funny to me anymore.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 06:54 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's not about comedy with a political leaning in either direction.  The point being made is that the POTUS used to be made fun of, regardless of which party.  Politicians on both side were made fun of.  If Biden was POTUS during the 80's or 90's he'd be decimated on late night TV every single night.  The guy provides endless material and the occasional joke at his expense doesn't disprove the point being made.  I honestly don't care at all, I stopped watching late night shows entirely after Conan retired.  But to claim it's not horribly slanted now is just asinine.

I'm not saying it isn't, but you have to ask why right wingers left comedy behind.  Why isn't there a late night conservative comedian taking shots at Biden?  Or why isn't there a late night independent making fun of everyone?  Like I said, the right wing has Roseanne Barr and Jim Brewer and I'm sure some folks I don't even know because I can only refence stuff that is 25+ years old.

There are plenty of people on TV who take shots at Biden, they're just doing so on "news" networks.  It's like in the old days when infomercials would disguise themselves as news programs or TV shows.  It's the "Natural Health Show!" and we're going to talk about 1 single product and this is the only episode.

Late night shows make fun of Trump and Fox and Newsmax ring the alarm on Biden and his ilk.  Looking for right wing views in a comedy show or looking for Trump bashing on a right wing news network...that's like trying to drink whiskey from a bottle of wi-yiiiine!

And maybe it isn't related, but making fun of both sides probably doesn't fly now because Americans are more protective of their side and hate the other side these days.  When SNL made fun of Clinton and Dole in at the same time the country wasn't talking about having a civil war based upon the 1996 election results.

Also, Trump is a total wild card because he's the only president who was a celebrity and the subject of critique and jokes for decades before he became the face of a political party. There are multiple skits from 30+ years ago on Sesame Street alone that made fun of him.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 08:22 PM)Stewy Wrote: SNL is an equal opportunity insulting entity.

Someone has their MAGA panties in a bunch.

It certainly was.  I don't think it is  now.  No panties of any kind are required to notice this.  You don't need to be a partisan of any stripe to notice this.

(03-25-2024, 10:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying it isn't, but you have to ask why right wingers left comedy behind.  Why isn't there a late night conservative comedian taking shots at Biden?  Or why isn't there a late night independent making fun of everyone?  Like I said, the right wing has Roseanne Barr and Jim Brewer and I'm sure some folks I don't even know because I can only refence stuff that is 25+ years old.

This is rather missing the point.  Late night comedy used to be rather politically neutral.  Essentially, whichever politician stepped in it got made fun of.  That no longer appears to be the case.

Quote:There are plenty of people on TV who take shots at Biden, they're just doing so on "news" networks.  It's like in the old days when infomercials would disguise themselves as news programs or TV shows.  It's the "Natural Health Show!" and we're going to talk about 1 single product and this is the only episode.

Whether it happens in other genres is completely immaterial to the larger point.

Quote:Late night shows make fun of Trump and Fox and Newsmax ring the alarm on Biden and his ilk.  Looking for right wing views in a comedy show or looking for Trump bashing on a right wing news network...that's like trying to drink whiskey from a bottle of wi-yiiiine!

You're essentially making Luvnit's point for him here, conceding that late night TV is now a left leaning safe space. 

Quote:And maybe it isn't related, but making fun of both sides probably doesn't fly now because Americans are more protective of their side and hate the other side these days.  When SNL made fun of Clinton and Dole in at the same time the country wasn't talking about having a civil war based upon the 1996 election results.

I'd counter that actually making fun of both sides when they do something that justifies being made fun of might actually go some ways towards reversing the trend towards a "civil war", as you put it.  Taking the piss out of everyone makes everyone equal.  Making everyone equal goes at least some ways towards making people view each other in the same fashion.  This is hardly a panacea in this regard, but it's at least a start.

Quote:Also, Trump is a total wild card because he's the only president who was a celebrity and the subject of critique and jokes for decades before he became the face of a political party.  There are multiple skits from 30+ years ago on Sesame Street alone that made fun of him.

Again, immaterial.  You're acting like Trump provides endless material while there is nothing to mine out of Biden/Harris.  This couldn't be more demonstrably false.

Reply/Quote
So why do you think people stopped making fun of liberal politicians?  Ok, so it happened, but why?  As you say, Biden and Harris are as comedically lambastable as Trump, so why isn't anyone tapping that market?

Was there some sort of "make fun of both sides equally" law that got revoked?
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 12:39 AM)Nately120 Wrote: So why do you think people stopped making fun of liberal politicians?  Ok, so it happened, but why?  As you say, Biden and Harris are as comedically lambastable as Trump, so why isn't anyone tapping that market?

Was there some sort of "make fun of both sides equally" law that got revoked?

Amazing question, take a stab at answering it.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 12:42 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Amazing question, take a stab at answering it.

I postulated because people who don't like Biden want to hear their disdain for him presented in a news program style and people who don't like Trump want it presented to them in a comedy style.  The top rated late night comedians are bashing Trump and the top news networks are bashing Biden...seems like the for-profit media is giving everyone what they want.

Hell, I was convinced Gary Johnson had a shot at getting Libertarians on the map merely because the late night people were taking shots at him prior to the 2016 election.  Seriously, I saw this and I was like "Holy crap...they're talking about him...people are actually going to see this guy exists on prime time.  This is legitimizing." I know the song says you're nobody 'til some body loves you, but really you're nobody til some body makes fun of you.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 12:48 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I postulated because people who don't like Biden want to hear their disdain for him presented in a news program style and people who don't like Trump want it presented to them in a comedy style.  The top rated late night comedians are bashing Trump and the top news networks are bashing Biden...seems like the for-profit media is giving everyone what they want.

Again, I think you're missing the mark.  The point being made isn't that Biden should be treated with disdain, while Trump is lionized.  It's that all politicians be skewered for their shortcomings, as used to be the case, completely consistently.  None of those people (maybe a very few) really have our best interests at heart, and they should all be treated as such.

Quote:Hell, I was convinced Gary Johnson had a shot at getting Libertarians on the map merely because the late night people were taking shots at him prior to the 2016 election.  Seriously, I saw this and I was like "Holy crap...they're talking about him...people are actually going to see this guy exists on prime time.  This is legitimizing."  I know the song says you're nobody 'til some body loves you, but really you're nobody til some body makes fun of you.

This used to be the case.  Now it's pure pandering, as you have admitted.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 12:58 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Again, I think you're missing the mark.  The point being made isn't that Biden should be treated with disdain, while Trump is lionized.  It's that all politicians be skewered for their shortcomings, as used to be the case, completely consistently.  None of those people (maybe a very few) really have our best interests at heart, and they should all be treated as such.

This used to be the case.  Now it's pure pandering, as you have admitted.

People want to be pandered to.  People want their political safe spaces.  It's why Jon Stewart got backlash for bashing Biden and Fox News got lambasted for saying Trump lost AZ.  If you don't tell someone what they want to hear, someone else will.

It's also possible that stuff wasn't as "fair" as we think it used to be.  I recall people saying the media was completely unfair to and played a large role in turning Dan Quayle into a laughingstock.  I'm pretty sure Letterman had the kid who was told to spell potato "POTATOE" on his show,
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 01:09 AM)Nately120 Wrote: People want to be pandered to.  People want their political safe spaces.  It's why Jon Stewart got backlash for bashing Biden and Fox News got lambasted for saying Trump lost AZ.  If you don't tell someone what they want to hear, someone else will.

You're again making the thread's premise for it.

Quote:It's also possible that stuff wasn't as "fair" as we think it used to be.  I recall people saying the media was completely unfair to and played a large role in turning Dan Quayle into a laughingstock.  I'm pretty sure Letterman had the kid who was told to spell potato "POTATOE" on his show,

A grown man with a college degree not being able to spell potato is certainly a fair target of ridicule.  Especially when said man is the vice president of the US.  

Reply/Quote