Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
IF Palmer doesn't blow out his knee against Pittsburgh...
I think we win that game getting the playoff albatross out of the way.

I think we win more playoff games as it was all psychological. We probably have more success during the regular seasons too.

I think too many times the team plays not to lose instead of to win.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
We play too conservative on offense. Marvin is afraid to take chances. In regards to the 05 playoff game, I truly feel that we had the best team in the league that year. Which is why I hate Pitt more.
Reply/Quote
I don't think so. Even without Palmer, we still lead that game 17-14 heading into halftime. Then the typical Primetime/playoff/Steeler Marvin Lewis collapse reared its ugly head in the second. True, you can argue that Kitna struggled but the entire team (especially Bresnahan's defense) completely fell apart. That was a team loss, and I don't think even a healthy 2005 Carson Palmer could win a Marvin Lewis playoff game.

But the sad truth is, we'll never know. That injury was the beginning of the end of Carson Palmer's potentially great career in Cincinnati. Could Carson have been good enough to get us over the hump despite questionable coaching (a la Peyton Manning in Indianapolis)? Again, we'll never truly know. Honestly, it's quite depressing to even think about.
Reply/Quote
Marv seems to forget what got us into the playoffs. We look totally different in the playoffs than regular season. But this Week 1 game looked like the Playoff Bengals.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I don't buy it. First of all, the Steelers were the better team that year. Even if we did beat them, the Bengals were 0 fer Peyton Manning until 2014; when Manning was playing on one leg. The 2005 Bengals defense sucked. They had a knack for getting turnovers, but you can't rely on that. That play that Palmer was injured was exciting, but all in all Pittsburgh would have made adjustments, the Bengals wouldn't have, and the Bengals would have lost.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 01:59 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Marv seems to forget what got us into the playoffs. We look totally different in the playoffs than regular season. But this Week 1 game looked like the Playoff Bengals.

Well the Bengals didn't get to have a playoff game last year, so this was their playoff game Hilarious
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin is a stage 4 cancer!

Reply/Quote
It's been over a decade, move on.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 01:58 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I don't think so. Even without Palmer, we still lead that game 17-14 heading into halftime. Then the typical Primetime/playoff/Steeler Marvin Lewis collapse reared its ugly head in the second. True, you can argue that Kitna struggled but the entire team (especially Bresnahan's defense) completely fell apart. That was a team loss, and I don't think even a healthy 2005 Carson Palmer could win a Marvin Lewis playoff game.

But the sad truth is, we'll never know. That injury was the beginning of the end of Carson Palmer's potentially great career in Cincinnati. Could Carson have been good enough to get us over the hump despite questionable coaching (a la Peyton Manning in Indianapolis)? Again, we'll never truly know. Honestly, it's quite depressing to even think about.

Hardly.

'06 & '07, Palmer had:
63.7% completion
8,166 yards
7.5 YPA
54 TD/33 INT
90.1 QB Rating

Keep in mind this was still back when there was only 5 QBs who threw for 4,000+ yards in 2006. Out of QBs who threw at least 320 attempts (so only 20/gm) Palmer was 4th in QB Rating in 2006.

What messed up Palmer was the '08 season, where he had the broken nose and then the elbow injury. The broken nose messed up his mind, and the elbow messed up his ability.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Marv would have coached his way into a loss if Palmer had not been taken out.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 01:56 PM)TKUHL Wrote: We play too conservative on offense. Marvin is afraid to take chances. In regards to the 05 playoff game, I truly feel that we had the best team in the league that year. Which is why I hate Pitt more.

Our defense was shaky that year if I remember correctly. I do think we were going to win that playoff game.

Playoffs were new to us then. We didn't have the 7 playoff losses.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 02:22 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It's been over a decade, move on.

This.

Are we in 10 years time still going to be saying 'if Hill did not fumble' , or 'if Burfict had not headshot Antonio Brown...' , 'if Pacman had not been penalised'..

it happened , it was painful but no current bengals player is bothered what happened to Palmer in '05
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 03:10 PM)sonofstat Wrote: This.

Are we in 10 years time still going to be saying 'if Hill did not fumble' , or 'if Burfict had not headshot Antonio Brown...' , 'if Pacman had not been penalised'..

it happened , it was painful but no current bengals player is bothered what happened to Palmer in '05

Nah...I think it's a valid what IF. The things that happened against Pittsburgh was the 7th playoff loss in a sequence.

The Palmer injury was our 1st playoff loss. It's clearly become just as much mental as physical with the team.

When Palmer was injured Marvin was a fairly new coach. Palmer was a Top 5-7 QB in the league.

It set the string of Playoff losses starting.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 02:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hardly.

'06 & '07, Palmer had:
63.7% completion
8,166 yards
7.5 YPA
54 TD/33 INT
90.1 QB Rating

Keep in mind this was still back when there was only 5 QBs who threw for 4,000+ yards in 2006. Out of QBs who threw at least 320 attempts (so only 20/gm) Palmer was 4th in QB Rating in 2006.

What messed up Palmer was the '08 season, where he had the broken nose and then the elbow injury. The broken nose messed up his mind, and the elbow messed up his ability.

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten that we did actually have an offense in 06 and 07. Chuck's defense was so horrible and all of the losses made me forget Carson was still posting stellar numbers. 
Reply/Quote
If only Paul Brown and Forrest Gregg were still around!! Cool
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 01:58 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I don't think so. Even without Palmer, we still lead that game 17-14 heading into halftime. Then the typical Primetime/playoff/Steeler Marvin Lewis collapse reared its ugly head in the second. True, you can argue that Kitna struggled but the entire team (especially Bresnahan's defense) completely fell apart. That was a team loss, and I don't think even a healthy 2005 Carson Palmer could win a Marvin Lewis playoff game.

Yep.

We scored 10 unanswered points in the first quarter then Pittsburgh score a touchdown in the 2nd but we answered back with another touchdown. After that we pretty much went flat.

Quote:But the sad truth is, we'll never know. That injury was the beginning of the end of Carson Palmer's potentially great career in Cincinnati. Could Carson have been good enough to get us over the hump despite questionable coaching (a la Peyton Manning in Indianapolis)? Again, we'll never truly know. Honestly, it's quite depressing to even think about.

I actually disagree. I don't thonk the injury was the beginning of the end for Palmer. I think Marvin Lewis was. Palmer ended up having his greatest career season with the Cardinals who I would say was on par with the Bengals talent wise.
Reply/Quote
If I hit the lottery if Jeremy hill doesn't fumble it humans could fly blah blah blah
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
dude, give it up, it was 10 years ago.....

we can "what if" til the cows come home, its not going to change the fact we haven't won a playoff game in forever......
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Carson went 13-3, got a 1st round bye, won a divisional game against Aaron Rodgers, and at least made it to the conference championships before having a typical Bengals-style playoff collapse 10 years after his prime. It boggles the mind that the Bengals had him in his prime and couldn't get a single measly playoff win with him much like it boggles the mind that a can't miss kid like AJ Green and a veritable godsend from Gruden in Andy Dalton are heading down the same path.

Just off the top of my head, since we started the Dalton/Green era we've seen QBs like Flacco win it all and also seen old ass got him for a 6th round pick Palmer, TJ Yates, Brock Osweiller, and a slew of other ho-hummers and backup QBs win playoff games. Marvin and Mike had Palmer and Dalton for most of 14 years. That is the sort of QB reliability that should yield SOMETHING. That sort of stability (good to very good QBs who have elite seasons here and there and are almost always available) at the most important position should be used to build the rest of the team and accomplish SOMETHING. We've yet to do anything.

I know Dalton and Palmer aren't truly elite QBs, but what other franchise could have that amount of stability at the position that keeps HCs and GMs up at night and/or throwing zounds of resources down proverbial wells when they don't have it and still blow it? 2015 was probably the most bemusing year of them all. Two of the top QBs in the league were Palmer and Dalton...really the only 2 QBs Marvin has ever had, and what did he get out of them? Zilch so far.
Reply/Quote
C'mon. The refs would have made sure the Steelers would win that game had Palmer not gotten hurt. But let's not kid ourselves, the Bengals blew a 10-point lead.
Reply/Quote