Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IF White is gone, who do you pick?
(03-25-2019, 07:14 PM)Whatever Wrote: Devin Bush really isn't worth the #11 pick.  He's closer to Mack Wilson than he is to Devin White and even White is a bit overrated.

I actually like Mack Wilson as much as I do the Devins probably a bit more. He doesnt have the burst that they do but he makes up for it by having great instincts and vision. I like that Wilson doesnt give up alot of ground when hes being blocked and stacks and sheds better. He's also more refined in coverage than both Devins. Most importantly he has that violent personality you need to play professional football.

Edit: I love the part in this game where he gives Jake Fromm that extra little something when he tackles him running. You cant do that in the NFL but I love the fire.

https://youtu.be/9EbT_fJzIdo
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If both Devin White and Jawaan Taylor are on the board at #11, and I'm making the pick? I'm sprinting to the podium, hoping I don't trip and break an ankle, to turn in my card for Jawaan Taylor.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 07:27 PM)Synric Wrote: I actually like Mack Wilson as much as I do the Devins probably a bit more. He doesnt have the burst that they do but he makes up for it by having great instincts and vision. I like that Wilson doesnt give up alot of ground when hes being blocked and stacks and sheds better. He's also more refined in coverage than both Devins. Most importantly he has that violent personality you need to play professional football.

Edit: I love the part in this game where he gives Jake Fromm that extra little something when he tackles him running. You cant do that in the NFL but I love the fire.

I also like Wilson, and personally, I think he fits what the Bengals need much better than the Devins.  Wilson is a true, 3 down backer, plays well in coverage, seems to have a greater understanding of the game.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 07:27 PM)Synric Wrote: I actually like Mack Wilson as much as I do the Devins probably a bit more. He doesnt have the burst that they do but he makes up for it by having great instincts and vision. I like that Wilson doesnt give up alot of ground when hes being blocked and stacks and sheds better. He's also more refined in coverage than both Devins. Most importantly he has that violent personality you need to play professional football.

To me, Wilson is more of a complete NFL LB than White or Bush, but they have a lot more upside.  White and Bush are great athletes who use that speed to make up for bad reads and/or instincts.  
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 10:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: To me, Wilson is more of a complete NFL LB than White or Bush, but they have a lot more upside.  White and Bush are great athletes who use that speed to make up for bad reads and/or instincts.  

Hey, the good news is that we already have one of those guys on the team, his name is Malik Jefferson.   ThumbsUp 

Now, let's get us a guy like Wilson, who actually knows how to play football..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 01:56 PM)McC Wrote: For me, it would be between Bush and Taylor.  I'd lean toward Bush(let the puns begin) because I'm tired of trying to piece together a LB core from day three picks, projects and UFA's.  Some would consider him somewhat of a reach but, imo, the need factor makes up the difference.

Taylor would be hard to pass on.  And I'd have to take a long, hard look at Oliver because his being there would feel like a gift.

All in all, though, the memory of the gaping hole in the middle of our D leads me back to Devin Bush every time.

I saw a mock where Bush was going to us...in the 2nd Round. How great would that be IF we didn't get White?
Reply/Quote
Lots of good discussion so far. I think it's going to be really hard to mess up this pick as there are a lot of good options. Getting a guy who can come in and start right away is something I'd like to see.

Biggest needs are T and LB.

IF, they took a WR like Metcalf, I'd be cool with it. If they took Hockenson, I'd be cool with that. If they took White, I'd be cool with that. IF they go Taylor or Williams...I'd be cool with that.

I could see why they'd take Oliver and I can't really dispute it although DT isn't a position of need like some others.

I do think Bush is a slight reach at 11. Ideally they could trade down 5-7 spots to take him. But, I'm of the thought process that you take who you feel will be the best player, even if it's slightly too high.
Reply/Quote
I'm a BPA guy who still would consider Bush. I can't toss out how mediocre we are there. In general I believe the better talent lies at OT, but, there is no guarantee that Wilson lasts to our 2nd round pick. Then what....
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 11:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I saw a mock where Bush was going to us...in the 2nd Round. How great would that be IF we didn't get White?

That would be great but I have a hard time picturing him getting by both the Steelers and the Ravens, who both need LB's.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

I listened to Wilson get interviewed today on Sirius. He is next to illiterate. If we do take him; I hope it's simply as a playmaker with no responsibilities.

As to the OP: Give me the Incredible Hock. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 12:08 AM)McC Wrote: That would be great but I have a hard time picturing him getting by both the Steelers and the Ravens, who both need LB's.

I wonder if the Steelers go WR?
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 02:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder if the Steelers go WR?

They usually get their WR's after the first.  Is there one who jumps out at you who would be a first round value?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Bush or Wilson, or a slight trade back to get Bush or Wilson. The drop off in tackle isn't even close to the drop off in LB and there will be two or three Tackles on Friday when round 2 starts that could be day 1 starters at RT if need be. I think TE is deep this year and a TE option in the 4th/5th is where you will get the best value.
Reply/Quote
I understand the rationale for drafting an offensive tackle or a linebacker early. Out of those two positions linebacker is the weakest link on this team.with that sad though if Tyler Eifert gets hurt again they only have one starter at tight end and that's my rational for drafting that kid from Iowa. He would likely be the best player available at a position of need and is a safe pick.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 03:25 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I understand the rationale for drafting an offensive tackle or a linebacker early.  Out of those two positions linebacker is the weakest link on this team.with that sad though if Tyler Eifert gets hurt again they only have one starter at tight end and that's my rational for drafting that kid from Iowa.  He would likely be the best player available at a position of need and is a safe pick.

I think Fant in the 2nd or one of the later guys. I know we worked out Kahale Warring from SDSU and he is a really intriguing guy. 6'5 and runs 4.6 40. Hasn't played a ton of football but has shown flashes and I think he could end up being a steal. TE is a position where a lot of the best guys were gotten in the 3rd and 4th rounds. 
Reply/Quote
Noah Fant should probably be on this list. Tyler Eifert of course has his injury history but is also only on a one year deal. Fant would have the same role as Eifert and is coming into the draft very polished as a receiver. Also being Iowa he can play inline even though it isnt his forte. He's one of the best offensive weapons in the 2019 draft class.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 03:25 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I understand the rationale for drafting an offensive tackle or a linebacker early.  Out of those two positions linebacker is the weakest link on this team.with that sad though if Tyler Eifert gets hurt again they only have one starter at tight end and that's my rational for drafting that kid from Iowa.  He would likely be the best player available at a position of need and is a safe pick.

I don't know if I agree about the safeness of a TE and it isn't about the player in question.  I don't like the injury frequency for TE's  and it makes me hesitant to use a first on one, no matter how good he may be.  Maybe it's a Bengal thing more than anything else(although look at why Gronk is retiring), but man, do our TE's in general spend a lot of time injured.

Add to that the fact that there are lots of TE's available in the draft, some in pretty much every round and it makes me not want to spend a first on any of them, especially since they won't even be a focal point of our offense.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 04:04 PM)McC Wrote: I don't know if I agree about the safeness of a TE and it isn't about the player in question.  I don't like the injury frequency for TE's  and it makes me hesitant to use a firaat on one, no matter how good he may be.  Maybe it's a Bengal thing more than anything else(although look at why Gronk is retiring), but man, do out TE's in general soend a lot of time injured.

Add to that the fact that there are lots of TE's available in the draft, some in pretty much every round and it makes me not want to spend a first on any of them, especially since they won't even be a focal point of our offense.

TE position is prone to injuries for whatever reason more than other positions.  And I agree that good TE can be had at later rounds.  I think, however, Hochenson is a rare talent.  It will be interesting to see the direction of the new coaching staff and what they think.  I really like Mack Wilson (LB) and Risner (OT).  But I also think Wilkins (DT) will be a beast in the NFL.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 04:16 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: TE position is prone to injuries for whatever reason more than other positions.  And I agree that good TE can be had at later rounds.  I think, however, Hochenson is a rare talent.  It will be interesting to see the direction of the new coaching staff and what they think.  I really like Mack Wilson (LB) and Risner (OT).  But I also think Wilkins (DT) will be a beast in the NFL.  

Look at the best TE's in the game over the last few years. These are basically the top TE's this past season (In no order). 

George Kittle- 5th 
Travis Kelce- 3rd
Zach Ertz- 2nd
OJ Howard- 1st
Jared Cook- 3rd
Rob Gornkowski- 2nd
Eric Ebron- 1st
Austin Hooper- 3rd
Jimmy Graham- 3rd
Kyle Rudolph- 2nd
David Njoku- 1st
Vance McDonald-2nd
David Andrews-3rd

I am all for a day 2 TE or early day 3, but day 1 TE's aren't as big a deal as everyone pretends they are. I get the idea of being "special" at the position, but OJ Howard was supposed to be that guy too and it hasn't really worked out.
Reply/Quote
Johnny Walker
Reply/Quote