Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IF you were going to rebuild...what would your plan be?
I'm not totally convinced we need a rebuild, but I'd:

1 ) Hire a young, offensive mind like LaFleur. I'd let him hire his assistants.
2 ) I'd increase our scouting and analytics department. We'd likely need to actually create an analytics department.
3 ) I'd draft a QB early in this years draft and let him sit behind Dalton for a year or 2.
3A ) I'd explore trading Dalton.
4 ) I'd trade AJ Green for draft picks. He's over 30 years old and probably only has 2 years or so left as an elite WR. IF I could get a 1st and 4th for him I'd take it. Maybe to the Patriots? I'd love to see him win a Super Bowl.
5 ) I'd build a strong offensive line. I'd use high draft picks there. We need 2 new Tackles and a Guard.
6 ) I'd build initially around Mixon to take pressure off of the QB.
7 ) On defense, get some LB's that can pass cover. Build an aggressive scheme.
8 ) IF teams would trade for guys like Burfict and Kirkpatrick...I'd do it.
8A ) If I couldn't trade Burfict, I'd waive him. He's hurt a lot. Suspended a lot. And he doesn't look good in games. You can't build a defense around a guy that's always suspended. Time to close the chapter on that book.
9 ) Free agency - I'd use it! Sign a couple young, quality free agents and the rebuild could accelerate.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 11:25 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm not totally convinced we need a rebuild, but I'd:

2 ) I'd increase our scouting and analytics department. We'd likely need to actually create an analytics department.
3 ) I'd draft a QB early in this years draft and let him sit behind Dalton for a year or 2.
4 ) I'd trade AJ Green for draft picks. He's over 30 years old and probably only has 2 years or so left as an elite WR. IF I could get a 1st and 4th for him I'd take it. Maybe to the Patriots? I'd love to see him win a Super Bowl.
5 ) I'd build a strong offensive line. I'd use high draft picks there. We need 2 new Tackles and a Guard.
    8A ) If I couldn't trade Burfict, I'd waive him. He's hurt a lot. Suspended a lot. And he doesn't look good in games. You can't build a defense around a guy that's always suspended. Time to close the chapter on that book.
9 ) Free agency - I'd use it! Sign a couple young, quality free agents and the rebuild could accelerate.

This job calls for a complete enima!!! The Brown family would have to hire a "football man" at whatever cost to lure him to Cincy to be the President. After that it's his show!! The Brown's would have to completely step back and let him control football operations. Hiring and firing. Building a new Front Office with another "football man" for a GM. Letting him build an actual Scouting staff and start running the team like a PROFESSIONAL team not some Mom and Pop corner store! No money spent on these people counts against the Salary Cap!!! That's where other teams have the Bengals before the coin flip!

I know people don't want to hear it but the current team needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Great players like AJ and Geno and Dunlap's window are closing....if not already closed! The new regime would have to see about trading these loyal players to give them a shot at something memorable in the final years of their careers. Of course the new management wouldn't give a crap about what the players want they'd have to maximize them as assets to recoup players/picks for the future of the team.

Long story short......it's NOT going to happen here.....EVER!!!!
Reply/Quote
I think next year the should trade Burfict and maybe Dalton to get more picks. They keep Green so the new QB has a good target. Trade Dre K. if you can, if not cut him. Draft D and O-line. Sign another veteran receiver. Try to blow it up a little bit. Yes a new QB would be hard but give him weapons like they did with Dalton. You have to get rid of him when you can still get something. Just like Palmer.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 11:25 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm not totally convinced we need a rebuild, but I'd:

Count me in.  Although, you could keep a guy like Green, get aggressive THIS off season, and probably make a contender out of this club in year one.

If you did 1, 2, 5, 7, and 9 alone, you'd be looking at a totally different club.  TOTALLY different. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Sadly, I'm scared that this is where we are at. A CLOSED window that we want to believe is still open. Now sure, you can turn things around in a hurry, but for our organization that would honestly mean having a draft made of pure gold, cause we'd have to fix some serious issues.

I agree with an offensive mind to start. This is where the league is going nowadays. Even the best defenses will probably get scorched by the likes of Rams, Chiefs, etc. Have to build for the modern day NFL. 

But yes, LBs and O-line for sure. I'm not even sure which one I emphasize more.. probably still leaning a bit more towards O-line though. Have to get young and be a wall for the QB.
Reply/Quote
Sadly we're rounding 3rd on a rebuild. It's a lot closer than most of us want to admit.

What I'd really love to see is Marvin Lewis gone the day after the season is over. 100% offensive minded new HC

Retain the core with an eye towards rebuilding, but, try and give these guys one more shot. Get some REAL free agents in here over the off season. Top Shelf OT, LB, OG

Trade up and get a hot rookie QB and let him sit and learn behind Dalton for a season.

Draft another high round Olineman and LBer.

All of which would be building for the future QB.
Reply/Quote
Dre K will be cut with his contract, that saves us a ton of $$ next year to get a stud LBer which we def need

also continue the house cleaning with letting Burfict go

need to fortify the offensive line through either free agency or the draft or both

it all starts in the trenches
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote

Can you honestly imagine the Bengals FO doing something like this?

I agree with all outside #4. But it all needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Everything needs to be on the table. Set a direction and go at it with reckless regard - no more half in, half out crap. If you fail, so be it. At least fail at trying something that may result in something better than what we've witnessed for so long.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

1.)Years ago, we went with the coordinator with buzz (Marvin) over the proven winner as a HC(Coughlin).  I really think we need a proven winner here to enact the needed culture change.  We need someone who knows what it takes to win a SB.  I'd go hard after John Harbaugh, because he won a SB with a mediocre QB and he can beat the Steelers.  I'd also consider backing up the Brink's truck to lure Gary Kubiak out of retirement.

2.) Definitely.

3.)I would go QB if there was one I was sold on and I didn't have to mortgage the future to get him.  I would try to prioritize the OL, TE, and LB this year to solidify the team, then go balls out for one the following year if Andy can't get it done with the new HC.  I wouldn't deal Andy until I had the heir apparent and knew what I had.

4.)Trading AJ is just creating more holes.  As bad as the young WR'S have looked, no way I trade AJ and try to move forward with a young QB.  We also have one of the youngest rosters in the league.  We need to add quality pieces, not sacrifice them.

5.)This should be a good T class, so I'd ideally spend our 1st and a mid rounder there this year and kick Glenn to RT.  I'd get a quality RG in FA.

6.)Mixon needs more touches, for sure.

7.)I would honestly consider trading back into the 1st for a cover LB that can be the leader of this defense.

8.)With you 100% on Burfict.  I don't think anyone will give a high enough pick to replace Dre.  I would ride with him next year and cut bait the following year.

9.)I would target a starting RG, pass catching TE, and S in FA.
Reply/Quote
Glenn is horrible and kind of soft. He's no better than Hart at this point.
Reply/Quote
They have to be even more aggressive in free agency. We say this every year, but it's especially true now. They have far too many holes and lack of depth at key positions to rely on the draft alone. You're lucky to get two Day One starters out of the draft. It's simply asking too much.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: 1.)Years ago, we went with the coordinator with buzz (Marvin) over the proven winner as a HC(Coughlin). 

Coughlin had gotten fired for losing so much.

Every "proven winner" who does not have a HC job is also a "proven loser".
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Coughlin had gotten fired for losing so much.

Every "proven winner" who does not have a HC job is also a "proven loser".

Coughlin was fired after a 7-9 and 2 6-10 seasons, but had a 68-60 regular season record, 4-4 playoff record, and 2 AFCCG appearences in 8 years with an expansion team.
Reply/Quote
1. Make sure Mikey stays at home under armed guard.
2. The rest is easy
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:20 PM)Whatever Wrote: Coughlin was fired after a 7-9 and 2 6-10 seasons, but had a 68-60 regular season record, 4-4 playoff record, and 2 AFCCG appearences in 8 years with an expansion team.

That's what I said.  He was fired for losing.

Why hire a guy who only won 19 games in 3 seasons?
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That's what I said.  He was fired for losing.

Why hire a guy who only won 19 games in 2 seasons?

Because he had great success with an expansion team and went on to win 2 SB's.

Seriously, by your logic, the Patriots should have never hired Belichek.
Reply/Quote
1. Hire that coach who has won a lot but never lost enough to get fired.

2. Hire an OC who is young and aggressive with the pass game but who also sticks with the run.

3. Hire the DC who is aggressive and blitzes, but also does not give up any big plays.

4. Then I trade away our proven QB and take one of those guys in the first round that is a can't-miss sure-thing, not a first round bust like Rex Grossman, Kyle Boller, J.P. Losman, Jason Campbell, Jay Cutler, Matt Leinert, Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russell, Josh Freeman, Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Branden Weeden, Robert Griffen, E. J. Manuel, Teddy Bridegwater, Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles, or Paxton Lynch.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  Hire that coach who has won a lot but never lost enough to get fired.

2.  Hire an OC who is young and aggressive with the pass game but who also sticks with the run.

3.  Hire the DC who is aggressive and blitzes, but also does not give up any big plays.

4.  Then I trade away our proven QB and take one of those guys in the first round that is a can't-miss sure-thing, not a first round bust like Rex Grossman, Kyle Boller, J.P. Losman, Jason Campbell, Jay Cutler, Matt Leinert, Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russell, Josh Freeman, Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Branden Weeden, Robert Griffen, E. J. Manuel, Teddy Bridegwater, Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles, or Paxton Lynch.

So you're finally ready to move on from Marvin ?
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:37 PM)Whatever Wrote: Because he had great success with an expansion team and went on to win 2 SB's.

So you would hire the guy who is going to win 2 super bowls in the future.  Brilliant logic there.  Who is that coach?

The fact is that every coach who is a "proven winner" is also a "proven loser" or else he would still have a job.  Sometimes these guys do well at other HC jobs, but many of them also fail.  There are lots of Super Bowl Champion coaches who had never been Head Coaches before they wre hired.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That's what I said.  He was fired for losing.

Why hire a guy who only won 19 games in 2 seasons?

This one team rewarded their HC for winning 7 less games in the same span.

Who is that team and coach?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote