Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IT'S PEACH SEASON!
Lot's o' peaches grown here in SC as well as Georgia and it's time! I LOVE fresh peaches in season ESPECIALLY during a dry spring. When it's an especially rainy spring they get mushy and dry tasting, but in dry springs BOY HOWDY they're good, sweet and juicy! It's been a dry spring in these parts so if you're heading to the grocery grab you some SC peaches (even if they're advertised as Georgia peaches..) You won't regret it.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mmm, home made peach brandy..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Last peaches I bought in a grocery store got dry and shriveled up like apples instead of getting soft like peaches.  It was strange.  I guess they were not in season around here yet and had been shipped from China or who knows where.  They had no real taste to them at all.  When I start seeing peaches being being sold out of pickups on the side of the road that is when I know I can get good local fresh ones.

When I was growing up we used to make home made ice cream, and we would always make peach.  I don't remember "Premium Brands" of ice cream when I was a kid.  If they existed we did not buy them.  So that home made peach ice cream, which had about 5 times as much peach content as the usual store brand, tasted like heaven.
Reply/Quote
Never been a fan of peaches. But as Gramps points out, there’s a difference when mushy and not sure if I’ve had a good quality peach? I guess if I bought some at Kroger, the chances would probably improve for getting higher quality.

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 10:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Last peaches I bought in a grocery store got dry and shriveled up like apples instead of getting soft like peaches.  It was strange.  I guess they were not in season around here yet and had been shipped from China or who knows where.  They had no real taste to them at all.  When I start seeing peaches being being sold out of pickups on the side of the road that is when I know I can get good local fresh ones.

When I was growing up we used to make home made ice cream, and we would always make peach.  I don't remember "Premium Brands" of ice cream when I was a kid.  If they existed we did not buy them.  So that home made peach ice cream, which had about 5 times as much peach content as the usual store brand, tasted like heaven.

You're probably never going to find locally grown peaches in Ohio since they really don't grow well that far north, but I did work a summer back in 81 selling peaches on Watervliet Ave in Dayton on an empty lot for a guy who drove to SC to buy them by the truck load every summer.  The basterd fired me for taking off a Sunday to get married (to a stripper..Don't try that at home kids) Can you believe 35¢ per cheated pound back then? I learned a lot about produce that summer..
Anyway this will probably be a good summer for them...even Ohio gets peaches shipped north..They should start showing up in stores fairy soon since the growing/harvest season is from around June 1st through August..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 11:12 AM)grampahol Wrote: You're probably never going to find locally grown peaches in Ohio since they really don't grow well that far north, but I did work a summer back in 81 selling peaches on Watervliet Ave in Dayton on an empty lot for a guy who drove to SC to buy them by the truck load every summer.  The basterd fired me for taking off a Sunday to get married (to a stripper..Don't try that at home kids) Can you believe 35¢ per cheated pound back then? I learned a lot about produce that summer..
Anyway this will probably be a good summer for them...even Ohio gets peaches shipped north..They should start showing up in stores fairy soon since the growing/harvest season is from around June 1st through August..

I live in Tennessee.  We see a lot of Georgia peaches sold byt the side of the road.  Some of them probably come from South Carolina, but everyone expects peaches to come from Georgia so they are all called "Georgia peaches".
Reply/Quote
I often get the false impression Bengal fans all live in Ohio north of the river..despite myself living in SC.. I think I can safely say that fans living in Canada and London probably don't see any locally grown peaches.. I'm just waiting for some fan from the Northwest Territories of Canada to tell us about the abundance of peach trees in Yellowknife..  Shocked

Reply/Quote