Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ickey Woods - huge things, Mixon future
I wouldn't have bothered posting this as there's already a couple run game threads going but this Ickey quote caught my eye.

“Hopefully this new O-line coach can light a fire under those guys and open some holes out there. Jim McNally was a run-first coach. He loved to run the ball. We had our guys, Anthony Munoz, Max and Joe (Walter), guys firing out at people and not catching them.”

Myself and many others have complained about the "catching" the defensive linemen blocking scheme PA ran. The backpedal and hope to get in the way blocks our linemen have been doing.

This just further confirms we weren't alone in hating that blocking style ! With the additions of Glenn, Price, and others and Pollack and Lzor running the show and McNally's input.

We may well be in for a show !

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/19/ickey-woods-sees-huge-things-joe-mixon-immediate-future/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes! Aggressive in your face blocking, none of this passive crap.

Doesn't everybody remember or (try to forget) the Dallas game a few years ago when they just were right in our D's 
face all game and wouldn't let anyone get to Zeke. I cannot remember a game where a team just ran on us like that.

That was Frank Pollack's O-line. Glenn and Price are great run blockers. This IS exciting stuff. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2018, 11:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wouldn't have bothered posting this as there's already a couple run game threads going but this Ickey quote caught my eye.

“Hopefully this new O-line coach can light a fire under those guys and open some holes out there. Jim McNally was a run-first coach. He loved to run the ball. We had our guys, Anthony Munoz, Max and Joe (Walter), guys firing out at people and not catching them.”

Myself and many others have complained about the "catching" the defensive linemen blocking scheme PA ran. The backpedal and hope to get in the way blocks our linemen have been doing.

This just further confirms we weren't alone in hating that blocking style ! With the additions of Glenn, Price, and others and Pollack and Lzor running the show and McNally's input.

We may well be in for a show !

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/19/ickey-woods-sees-huge-things-joe-mixon-immediate-future/
You left out the best part, Woods calling PA's zone scheme CRAP! 
Not sure I like the fact Mixon is down to 218, but he says he was at that weight in Norman. I thought he ran great at 230 myself.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2018, 12:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes! Aggressive in your face blocking, none of this passive crap.

Doesn't everybody remember or (try to forget) the Dallas game a few years ago when they just were right in our D's 
face all game and wouldn't let anyone get to Zeke. I cannot remember a game where a team just ran on us like that.

That was Frank Pollack's O-line. Glenn and Price are great run blockers. This IS exciting stuff. Smirk

Oh yes ! The final score didn't even begin to relay the total butt whupping we took in that game. They took us out behind the woodshed and made us like it.

Our offensive line hasn't dominated anybody in the run game in years, well besides Cleveland and well they don't really count. And I'm not looking for any 1975 three yards in a cloud of dust crud. Just some true holes and a run game that the opposition can't totally ignore.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2018, 12:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes! Aggressive in your face blocking, none of this passive crap.

right Aggressive linemen help reduced batted balls at the line too...

hard to jump and put your hands up when you being pushed backwards.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2018, 12:17 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You left out the best part, Woods calling PA's zone scheme CRAP! 
Not sure I like the fact Mixon is down to 218, but he says he was at that weight in Norman. I thought he ran great at 230 myself.

I like Ickey telling it like it is, he knows what a good blocking scheme looks like. McNally is a great mind and i love
how Pollack looks up and listens to him so intently. Sounds like Lazor and Pollack are doing everything they can to
improve. They have no high horse.

We will see how much faster this makes Mixon but i agree, he looked plenty fast at 230 and i liked how he could
punish the likes of Jabril Peppers with that weight last year.

(07-19-2018, 12:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh yes ! The final score didn't even begin to relay the total butt whupping we took in that game. They took us out behind the woodshed and made us like it.

Our offensive line hasn't dominated anybody in the run game in years, well besides Cleveland and well they don't really count. And I'm not looking for any 1975 three yards in a cloud of dust crud. Just some true holes and a run game that the opposition can't totally ignore.

It was embarassing to say the least, i want to do this to the Steelers.

To finally get a run blocking coach in here has to get people excited.

(07-19-2018, 12:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: right Aggressive linemen help reduced batted balls at the line too...

Great point, JJ Watt won't just be able to jump up and intercept Dalton if he is getting pushed backwards.

That passive blocking could very well be why we didn't win that Playoff game.
Reply/Quote
They are good, no doubt, but can they "gel" or have a good "chemistry" a.k.a. work naturally together, that is the real question. Hopefully the answer to that question is our new OL coach... and so far it looks like it is... let's hope so.... less than 2 months to go.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2018, 01:25 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: They are good, no doubt, but can they "gel" or have a good "chemistry" a.k.a. work naturally together, that is the real question. Hopefully the answer to that question is our new OL coach... and so far it looks like it is... let's hope so.... less than 2 months to go.

You know what might be Billy Price's best quality?

His leadership. Guy has really impressed me, you can see it the way he talks and damn is that refreshing at Center.

I think this guy can bring them all together with Boling and Glenn's help.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2018, 12:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: right Aggressive linemen help reduced batted balls at the line too...

Good point that never occurred to me.
Reply/Quote
Yet another chance to celebrate the fact that Paul Alexander is gone Cheers
Reply/Quote

That is a perfect illustration of what's been wrong here, for years.  When a team has possession of the ball, it is referred to as "being on the offensive", and the defenders "on the defensive", for a reason.  It's high time that we see some offensive play from our offensive line, making opposing defenses take a defensive posture.  Hell, even on pass plays, an OLman can typically feel when a defender is getting ready to jump, just give an extra punch to the solar plexus, he'll stop that shit... quickly.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2018, 05:38 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yet another chance to celebrate the fact that Paul Alexander is gone Cheers

Oh yes 

(07-19-2018, 06:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is a perfect illustration of what's been wrong here, for years.  When a team has possession of the ball, it is referred to as "being on the offensive", and the defenders "on the defensive", for a reason.  It's high time that we see some offensive play from our offensive line, making opposing defenses take a defensive posture.  Hell, even on pass plays, an OLman can typically feel when a defender is getting ready to jump, just give an extra punch to the solar plexus, he'll stop that shit... quickly.

It will be so nice to see 
Reply/Quote
The passive approach may very well expose why Ced looked so weak. Wouldn't it be something if with a completely different approach he actually lives up to his draft slot instead of looking like the very last guy picked up after the draft as undrafted?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Imagine if you will the announcer at every game this season saying, "The Bengals have a run game not only because of Bernard and Mixon but because that Offensive Line is getting a 5 yard push!"

I think I've heard that said about the Bengals only a couple of times, "The Bengals O Line is three yards down the field before the RB even reaches the line."

Three free yards before a RB has to start squeezing through.

I just wonder what Barry Sanders would have been able to do if he played in Dallas during his career?

Maybe now the Bengals will have two 100 yard rushers in a game and two 1000 yard rushers in a season. And if this line pass blocks...look out, this team is going to win, even in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Good short read. Love Ickys input and he’s right.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2018, 03:20 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Imagine if you will the announcer at every game this season saying, "The Bengals have a run game not only because of Bernard and Mixon but because that Offensive Line is getting a 5 yard push!"

I think I've heard that said about the Bengals only a couple of times, "The Bengals O Line is three yards down the field before the RB even reaches the line."

I just wonder what Barry Sanders would have been able to do if he played in Dallas during his career?

Maybe now the Bengals will have two 100 yard rushers in a game and two 1000 yard rushers in a season. And if this line pass blocks...look out, this team is going to win, even in the playoffs.

He would have DESTROYED the rushing record.  Emmit's final numbers would be paltry in comparison.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2018, 03:20 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Imagine if you will the announcer at every game this season saying, "The Bengals have a run game not only because of Bernard and Mixon but because that Offensive Line is getting a 5 yard push!"

Nice post Neb, just makes me tingly inside. Smirk

I said it before with a Line that can block at will in the run game and teams cannot stop it we CAN win in the Playoffs...

Even with Marv as the HC.

(07-20-2018, 11:48 AM)Wyche Wrote: He would have DESTROYED the rushing record.  Emmit's final numbers would be paltry in comparison.

For sure, Barry is without a doubt the best RB ever IMO.

To do what he did behind a terrible O-line is just amazing and i don't know of another RB that could do it.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2018, 11:48 AM)Wyche Wrote: He would have DESTROYED the rushing record.  Emmit's final numbers would be paltry in comparison.

(07-20-2018, 12:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post Neb, just makes me tingly inside. Smirk

I said it before with a Line that can block at will in the run game and teams cannot stop it we CAN win in the Playoffs...

Even with Marv as the HC.

For sure, Barry is without a doubt the best RB ever IMO.

To do what he did behind a terrible O-line is just amazing and i don't know of another RB that could do it.

No doubt,

Imagine if Corey Dillon would have been on a good team
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2018, 03:20 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I just wonder what Barry Sanders would have been able to do if he played in Dallas during his career?

I watched Barry Sanders through the years just do the unimaginable. What an RB King. Dude had skills like no other I seen before or after him. He was fast and his instinct's were impeccable.  I honestly say if he was behind a stellar Dallas line? Good Lord, anything shy of 150yd game would have been a odd occurance. I know it sounds crazy, but that dude was awesome and he did it behind an avg line. Give him that extra second to pick apart his hole and choose his route to the endzone? Oh my!

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2018, 07:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I watched Barry Sanders through the years just do the unimaginable. What an RB King. Dude had skills like no other I seen before or after him. He was fast and his instinct's were impeccable.  I honestly say if he was behind a stellar Dallas line? Good Lord, anything shy of 150yd game would have been a odd occurance. I know it sounds crazy, but that dude was awesome and he did it behind an avg line. Give him that extra second to pick apart his hole and choose his route to the endzone? Oh my!

You know it Harley, Barry just made NFL players look silly.

Best spin move ever, had all the moves plus the strength and speed.

Smarts as well, have to have smarts to do what he did.
Reply/Quote