Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to watch for at the Bengals training camp | PFF
(07-27-2018, 04:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah until they are full contact in pads....   We aren't gonna no much about the OL other than their footwork

Which is Sunday correct?
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 02:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't think Westerman is garbage, but that might be because I put too much stock into his college tape and projection. He was projected to be a Rd 2-3 pick and ended up falling to the 5th. I thought he was a great prospect that was "country strong", athletic, and a technician. My reasoning for why I still hold out a lot of hope for Westerman is probably also the same with Billings. Guys I thought were drafted later than they deserved but should be solid starters at minimum. I guess we'll see.

Westerman is entering his 3rd year as a pro, if he's going to make a move toward being a starter, this should be the year.  Though, by now, his body has gotten used to sitting the bench.  It will be an adjustment to get his metabolic energy systems conditioned to playing regularly again.  This could also lead to a drop-off in level of play as the season wears on, or leave him susceptible to injury as well.  If he should win the starting Guard role, Bengals would be wise to have an equally capable backup in waiting.

Now, at face value, what I just wrote in the previous paragraph might sound a bit negative, but it's not intended that way.  When I made the statement about garbage players, I was pretty specific to say "on paper", meaning that they haven't actually proven much in NFL action. I never singled out any particular player, in any attempt to defame them.  Sure, it's the cold, hard truth.  The truth isn't always rosy and sweet. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Just watch out for plays and players of the gobshite variety.. We've all seen our share of gobshite Bengals over the years..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Oline HAS TO get to a minimum of average. Anything below average and they'll be hung out to dry. Same thing applies for the LBers.. But everything is going to hinge on the oline.. 
Yeah ,new coach and all, but he's not a miracle worker and there's no point in pretending that the oline coach can overcome the horrible players alone. The players just cannot be a bunch of gobshites like the past few years .
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 08:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Westerman is entering his 3rd year as a pro, if he's going to make a move toward being a starter, this should be the year.  Though, by now, his body has gotten used to sitting the bench.  It will be an adjustment to get his metabolic energy systems conditioned to playing regularly again.  This could also lead to a drop-off in level of play as the season wears on, or leave him susceptible to injury as well.  If he should win the starting Guard role, Bengals would be wise to have an equally capable backup in waiting.

Now, at face value, what I just wrote in the previous paragraph might sound a bit negative, but it's not intended that way.  When I made the statement about garbage players, I was pretty specific to say "on paper", meaning that they haven't actually proven much in NFL action.  I never singled out any particular player, in any attempt to defame them.  Sure, it's the cold, hard truth.  The truth isn't always rosy and sweet. 

Westerman also just had food poisoning from what i just heard and has lost 12 pounds.

Redmond i think could have a good run at RG and he is a mauler with great size and namely strength.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 08:49 PM)grampahol Wrote: Just watch out for plays and players of the gobshite variety.. We've all seen our share of gobshite Bengals over the years..

(07-27-2018, 09:09 PM)grampahol Wrote: Oline HAS TO get to a minimum of average. Anything below average and they'll be hung out to dry. Same thing applies for the LBers.. But everything is going to hinge on the oline.. 
Yeah ,new coach and all, but he's not a miracle worker and there's no point in pretending that the oline coach can overcome the horrible players alone. The players just cannot be a bunch of gobshites like the past few years .

Gobshites... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 09:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Westerman also just had food poisoning from what i just heard and has lost 12 pounds.

Redmond i think could have a good run at RG and he is a mauler with great size and namely strength.

Redmond is a guy that I have some stock on, as well.  However, I'm hoping he makes the run at RT, and only falls back to RG should one of the other Tackles beat him out.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 09:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Redmond is a guy that I have some stock on, as well.  However, I'm hoping he makes the run at RT, and only falls back to RG should one of the other Tackles beat him out.

Same here, Redmond has untapped potential.

Could be something Pollack could really work with.
Reply/Quote
As a position group, I think the Bengals backers are the weakest link, even with questions surrounding the O-Line. At least there are several players vying for the O-Line right side. But at backers, there is a limited pool of talent and bodies. Bengals need to address the linebacker position next draft for sure.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 04:29 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: As a position group, I think the Bengals backers are the weakest link, even with questions surrounding the O-Line. At least there are several players vying for the O-Line right side. But at backers, there is a limited pool of talent and bodies. Bengals need to address the linebacker position next draft for sure.

In a perfect world Burfict would stop getting suspended so much, Brown would play well this season and we’d re-sign him, and Jefferson would end up being a keeper.

But I agree we should definitely draft some more.

Reply/Quote
I think Westerman and Redmon, especially Westerman, will excel in Pollack's system of being aggressive and jumping out and pushing the Dline instead of PA's technique of dropping back to catch them. Both of them are maulers, and turning them lose should be fun to watch....
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 08:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think Westerman and Redmon, especially Westerman, will excel in Pollack's system of being aggressive and jumping out and pushing the Dline instead of PA's technique of dropping back to catch them. Both of them are maulers, and turning them lose should be fun to watch....

I am interested to see how Westerman looks after losing 12 pounds from the food poisoning deal...

If the guy can run block like you say (mauler) along with his pass blocking prowess he could be a very good Guard for us.

I love Redmond's run blocking mauling style but i still have questions about his pass protection.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 01:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am interested to see how Westerman looks after losing 12 pounds from the food poisoning deal...

A guy Westerman's size probably loses 12 lbs in one big dump.

Seriously though he is just dehydrated.  I doiubt he has lost an ounce of muscle mass.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 01:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A guy Westerman's size probably loses 12 lbs in one big dump.

Seriously though he is just dehydrated.  I doiubt he has lost an ounce of muscle mass.

Yep, losing 12 lbs. with food poisoning is mostly just water weight from not being able to keep anything down or in. Once it passes, a few IV's, and he will be good to go.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 01:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A guy Westerman's size probably loses 12 lbs in one big dump.

(07-28-2018, 01:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, losing 12 lbs. with food poisoning is mostly just water weight from not being able to keep anything down or in. Once it passes, a few IV's, and he will be good to go.

Cool, cool.
Reply/Quote